Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: Kentucky Route Zero (plus devchat with Jake, Tamas and Ben!)
Posted: 24 August 2013 03:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Kentucky Route Zero  (starting 31st of August)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Simon The Sorcerer
  Next Game: Gretel and Hansel

Kentucky_Route_Zero_title.png

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 31st August, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)
  - 7th September, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2 - ending is missing at the moment) and dev chat + general discussion (log)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky, and the mysterious folks who travel it. Gameplay is inspired by point-and-click adventure games, but focused on characterization, atmosphere and storytelling rather than clever puzzles or challenges of skill.

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Jake Elliot (@jakevsrobots)
  - Tamas Kemenczy (@rootkitten)
  - Ben Babbit (Bandcamp)

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Official Website (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, DRM free, Steam key)
  - Steam (Windows, Mac OS, Linux)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 24 August 2013 03:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

I am super looking forward to doing this. Can’t wait to hear what everybody’s thoughts are on KR0. I didn’t hear about it until I played it for the first time and it really caught my eye.

Edit: I just got confirmation from Jake, Tamas and Ben that they’ll be joining us for the second session! Woo :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 28 August 2013 03:21 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2012-03-22

Awesome game, Kentucky Route Zero.

Congrats for the election!!

Posted: 28 August 2013 07:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  558
Joined  2012-03-23

I still need to play Act 2. Loved Act 1.

Posted: 29 August 2013 01:05 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
inm8num2 - 28 August 2013 07:50 PM

I still need to play Act 2. Loved Act 1.

I found Act 2 just as mind blowingly well done as Act 1 (if not moreso) :D

Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2013 03:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

Kentucky Route Zero is 50% off on Steam until September 2nd. If anyone’s still on the fence about getting KRZ, now might be a good time to consider picking it up!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 29 August 2013 04:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Edit: Ha ha, Syd beat me to it :D

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2013 01:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2012-02-14

Woooo!  KR0!  :D

Posted: 31 August 2013 04:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The stream archive) and chat log from today’s session are up! Thanks to everybody who came today! What did everybody think so far?

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 07:05 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2012-10-13

I’ll try to be there tomorrow. Wanted to see this game in action for a while. smile

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 07 September 2013 01:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

About 5 minutes to go until we start. Some of the developers plan to join us in chat during this session.

All are welcome!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 07 September 2013 03:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The devchat log and first half of the stream archive are up (having some archive woes at the moment - Twitch appears to have eaten the second half).

Thanks to everybody who joined, and huge thanks to Jake, Tamas and Ben for sharing their time with us!

One of the interesting things we got to see was an earlier iteration of Kentucky Route Zero’s look and feel between the Kickstarter pitch video and the final art style.

4_HOTMK_CampSite.png
13_iteration_2_detail_2.png
5_HOTMK_Climbing.png

Don’t forget to share leave your thoughts on the game, and feel free to use our rating system thingy to frame your thoughts if you’re not sure where to start :D

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 09:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-24

ah, my Superlevel articles on Kentucky Route Zero were even mentioned in the chat… and missed the whole thing.

Posted: 09 September 2013 02:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-07-22

I just finished Part 1. Brilliant style. Looking forward to playing Part 2 very soon. smile

Posted: 11 September 2013 02:28 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

judas3000: Don’t despair, we’re going to come back for Act 2 before too long! Nice articles :D

Here are my thoughts in rating form (template thingy can be found here):

Story: 10 (Atmosphere is astoundingly compelling and surreal. Characterisation is solid and believeable.)
  Usability: 9 (Visibility and iconography is clear. Slight issues with navigating when clicking on areas just above or just below the walkable path)
  Gameplay: 9 (Gameplay is light, but well polished. The juxtaposition between the text only and 3D portions is evocative, and the exploration oriented driving sections are a nice chance of pace. Dialogue and action choices tend to provide different backstory elements or interpretations of current situations, making them almost a lens through which any subsequent revelations are seen - a subtle, yet powerful mechanic that I’ve never come across before)
  Assets: 10 (Visuals are stunningly awesome, with fantastic lighting and some amazing transitions. Lighting is great and animations are solid. Sound design is perfect and eerie)
  Impact: 10 (Indescribably mind blowing)

Overall: 48
  Completed: Yes

We’ve got a thread up for the next game we’ll be playing: Gretal and Hansel.

Feel fee to continue the discussion here - I’d love to hear some more impressions of KR0!

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2013 08:19 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

As promised, we’re doing Act 2 real soon! The thread can be found here!

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!