Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Posted: 26 October 2013 04:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1232
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis  (starting 2nd of November)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Costume Quest
  Next Game: Gone Home

250px-Fate_of_Atlantis_artwork.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 2nd November, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion plus devchat with Hal Barwood (log)
  - 9th November, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)
  - 16th November, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 3rd game session (Stream 3a, Stream 3b) and general discussion (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Hal Barwood (Wikipedia)

ABOUT THE GAME
  After Dr Jones’ is robbed and an atlantean artefact is stolen by Third Reich operative Klaus Kerner, Indy joins forces with Sophia Hapgood, an archaeologist-turned-psychic that he had collaborated with in the past. Together they travel the globe to unravel the globe to uncover the Nazi plot and the fate of Atlantis.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Steam (Windows, Mac OS)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread
  - Game Club F.A.Q

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 28 October 2013 11:36 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2012-10-13

Ah, this is a classic. Loved this game.

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 28 October 2013 11:54 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

It’s possible to extract the necessary information from the Steam version of FoA so you can run it in ScummVM instead, which is how I’ll be playing it because the Steam version uses generic midi and that makes the music sound horrible. ScummVM’s MT-32 emulation sounds much better.

Here’s one way to do it. If you’re running Windows, you’ll need something like Cygwin to run that dd command. This may work as well, though I haven’t tried it.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 28 October 2013 02:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  2012-03-12

LAAExtract (the second link) is what I used. I’d recommend any Windows user to install Cygwin for the ease of use and the large amount of handy shell utils, but for that particular script you only really need the Python runtime.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 28 October 2013 02:43 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The idea of Windows users trying to fiddle with dd to get a game running makes me giggle. Oh how the times have changed :D

The job that dd is doing there isn’t particularly tricky. I’m certain there are Windows (or even platform agnostic as shown in the second link) tools which can get you the same results ^_^

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 01 November 2013 05:32 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

So, I’ve been chatting with Hal Barwood and he’s going to try to make it to our first session. It always makes me happy when our list of LucasArts alumni guests grows :D

In addition to Fate of Atlantis, Hal also worked on Infernal Machine, Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures, RTX Red Rock and Big Sky Trooper (a SNES title that I’d not previously heard of). Prior to LucasArts, Hal had a career as a film writer/producer/director, and post-LA, he worked, he co-designed ZenGems and Mata Hari (collaborating with Fate of Atlantis co-designer on the latter).

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2013 04:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2013-05-09

Man this is the first scumm game i played even before monkey island , love it specially multiple endings,paths and of course the myth of Atlantis , there were a lot of fan projects to make foa 2 wonder what happened to them

Signature 

Sons of liberty

Posted: 02 November 2013 06:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
I Post Because I Am Awesome
Total Posts:  761
Joined  2012-05-19

This was the game that sucked me into adventure gaming and gaming in general.

Signature 

Dead gamer walking.

Posted: 02 November 2013 09:25 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it tonight, since I’m visiting a friend.

I also have very fond memories of FoA, as it was one of the first adventure games i ever played. It was on an Amiga 3000 with two floppy drives I think, and if I remember correctly the game came on 12 floppies. Amazing how much the world has changed since then. Like Starker, I also got completely sucked in by this game, and I think it’s a great example of how you can do an adventure game with an actiony feel to it without having to resort to QTEs. That’s a thing we don’t see much of these days, except maybe in some scenes in Resonance and Gemini Rue.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 02 November 2013 11:52 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

I’ve settled on the Team path for the stream. I know everyone has their own favorite path and some might be disappointed that I’m not going with Wits or Fists instead, but I had to pick one.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 02 November 2013 12:14 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  502
Joined  2008-12-12

Team path is my favorite. The Fists one is somewhat under-cooked, its flaw is that it relies too much on the rather perfunctory fist fighting mechanics. It’s definitely the least interesting and shortest of the three.

Signature 

Ex-member of the Double Fine Defense Brigade.
==================================
Follow this link to watch my video playthrough of Little Pink Best Buds.
WARNING: ALL of the potatoes are included!

Posted: 02 November 2013 12:15 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2013-05-09
Syd - 02 November 2013 11:52 AM

I’ve settled on the Team path for the stream. I know everyone has their own favorite path and some might be disappointed that I’m not going with Wits or Fists instead, but I had to pick one.

:( i always loved the wits path but don’t you think you should do what sophia suggests while playing the game ? i always went with what she said

Signature 

Sons of liberty

Posted: 02 November 2013 12:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Syd - 02 November 2013 11:52 AM

I think in this case, the Team path might be the best one for streaming/driving discussion. It’ll be nice to have people mentioning the differences as we go and I’m hoping that the additional paths will also encourage more people to play the game on their own :D

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2013 03:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

The first session just wrapped up! Hal Barwood joined us and the discussion was great!

I stumbled around a bit looking for the Lost Dialogue of Plato, but it didn’t take me too long to find it. raspberry

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2013 03:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Here’s the stream archive) and chat log from today’s session (they’re also up there in the first post).

Big thanks to everybody for joining us and to our special guest Hal Barwood for sharing his time with us! What a great session :D

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2013 04:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

The most epic session ever you say? Too bad I missed it. Thanks for putting up logs though.

Signature 

SUPER WIN THE GAME

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3