Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 2
DF Game Club: Gone Home
Posted: 16 November 2013 03:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1268
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Gone Home  (starting 23rd of November)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  Next Game: Kentucky Route Zero: Act II

250px-Gone_Home.png

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 23rd November, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion plus devchat (log)
  - 30th November, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Steve Gaynor (@fullbright)
  - Chris Remo (@chrisremo)
  - Johnnemann Nordhagen (@johnnemann)

ABOUT THE GAME
  You arrive home after a year abroad. You expect your family to greet you, but the house is empty. Something’s not right. Where is everyone? And what’s happened here?
  Gone home is an interactive exploration simulator. Interrogate every detail of a seemingly normal house to discover the story of the people who live there. Open any drawer and door. Pick up objects and examine them to discover clues. Uncover the events of one family’s lives by investigating what they’ve left behind.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Gone Home Website (Windows, Mac, Linux, DRM free, Steam key, optional soundtracks)
  - Humble Store (Windows, Mac, Linux, DRM free, Steam key)
  - Steam (Windows, Mac, Linux)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread
  - Game Club F.A.Q

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 16 November 2013 06:33 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

It looks like we’ll be getting Gone Home’s composer and awesome Double Fine fellow Chris Remo as well as writer/designer Steve Gaynor joining us for this one :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 17 November 2013 01:06 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2012-05-19

Loved this game!  Hope you all have fun.  As always, it’s during my work hours, but I’ll try and pop into the twitch archive afterwards.

Posted: 18 November 2013 01:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-05-12

Very short game but great atmosphere built and maintained throughout. A lot is made of whether or not this is a game - if we look at games in the strictest sense, Gone Home has objectives, interactions, and puzzle solving, so yes definitely a game. But it is focused more on the experience and story side of things, so the amount of satisfaction you get out of this game will likely depend on how much you are able to immerse yourself in the story. You aren’t going to see measurable increases in benefits proportional to your increase in skill, you aren’t going to gain levels and achieve high scores, and you aren’t going to get that sense of satisfaction when you solve difficult puzzles because there aren’t really any difficult puzzles.

Apart from being able to use a keyboard and mouse to explore, there are zero skill barriers in this game, and you just progress through the narrative at your own pace. There is a very persistent sense of dread or something foreboding, I always expected to walk around the corner and find something straight from a horror game, but the shock never came. And I think that is great. The game was able to keep me on the edge of my seat for the entire duration.

This was a game where you got as much out as what you were willing to put in. There were hidden stories all around the place that give this game a greater sense of depth (like finding her father’s magazines under copies of his unsold books). That said, I still think the price point was a little high. I paid for it this time because I was curious to play this game everyone was talking about. Now that I know what to expect, I don’t think I would pay the same price for their future games.

Edit** I did notice a number of DF names come up when the credits rolled. Great to see the community helping each other out.

Posted: 18 November 2013 02:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  364
Joined  2012-03-23

I enjoyed Gone Home. I was younger than the characters (back in 1992) but old enough to remember the style. I also really liked how they worked in Dad’s old books being republished in the X-Files era. It’s one of the little details that give all the characters arcs, without putting any of them directly in the game. In my opinion, that is Gone Home’s greatest strength, and the greatest merit to it being a game (and not a movie). Presenting everyone’s story as the player discovers it, rather than showing us the events really sells it as a game rather than a wannabe movie. As a movie, the story’s would be pretty bland, but the interactive nature of the presentation really makes the player care about the people as Kaitlin does, and get into their off screen arcs.

Now the bad… I really didn’t like the inventory, only letting us take key items. I would have liked to be able to carry around at least all of the cassette tapes and all of the notes (was there a way to review them). With so many subplots, I sometimes wanted to be able to review things. Also, it’s still short (even examining almost everything) and still priced on the higher end of the indie scene.

Specific good (spoilers… HO!):
Going back to the house (I now know well) to open the secret panels.
Finding the pizza money note, that happened to me plenty of times.
“I don’t think Lonnie gets Lonnie.” Does any teenager get themselves?
My favourite of all, finding Sam’s magazines with the same Kaitlin viewpoint text as Dad’s magazines.
Sam’s stories getting better as she practices writing. The 14 year old one was both funny and poignant. Enough so that I screenshotted it. (Major spoiler.)

Signature 

Steam, PSN and Miiverse: Vectorferret

Posted: 18 November 2013 03:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3508
Joined  2012-03-12

@Vectorferret: [spoiler]I didn’t read the last part of your post, but you can hide spoilers by using spoiler tags.[/spoiler]

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 18 November 2013 05:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  364
Joined  2012-03-23
flesk - 18 November 2013 03:12 PM

@Vectorferret: [spoiler]I didn’t read the last part of your post, but you can hide spoilers by using spoiler tags.[/spoiler]

Thanks. I initially tried the tag, but it doesn’t show on the post preview. Fixed now.

Signature 

Steam, PSN and Miiverse: Vectorferret

Posted: 18 November 2013 06:42 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

The preview is a bit weird. It doesn’t underline links either and I think it has other formating issues as well.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 18 November 2013 10:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2012-03-23

Glad to see so much conversation about the game. I’ll be streaming it this week and next week. I’ll probably do a full overview of my thoughts op the game once we have streamed the game. However, I’ll say for now that I definitely love this game and the ways its has found to be able to show relationships between characters using objects and skillfully placed dialogue.

Posted: 23 November 2013 06:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Looking forward to tomorrow’s session!

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2013 07:05 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

It’s today, you silly Australian. tongue laugh

I’m not sure what I’ll do about today’s Game Club. I bought Gone Home a while back and was planning on playing through it before the stream, but I’ve been so addicted to Knytt Underground that I haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe I’ll just lurk the chat without watching the stream.

Signature 

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 23 November 2013 09:04 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2013-07-04

Currently downloading the game, if I’m lucky I’ll be able to waddle around for a bit before peeking my head in on the stream!

These things start at 5 AM for me, but I’m finally on holiday!

Signature 

Also known as WavingPeople on Twitch chat!

I occasionally draw comics on my blog!

Posted: 23 November 2013 02:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1449
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be starting shortly. Come join us!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Jazzpunk
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 23 November 2013 03:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Wow, what a great session! In addition to Steve Gaynor and Chris Remo, we were also joined by programmer Johnnemann Nordhagen as well! Big thanks to everybody who came along smile

The stream archive and chat log are up in the first post.

Looking forward to next week :D

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2013 08:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2013-07-04

Blerg, got my alarms all set up… and woke up 6 hours later. Guess I was too tired :(
Fingers crossed for next week smile

Signature 

Also known as WavingPeople on Twitch chat!

I occasionally draw comics on my blog!

Posted: 26 November 2013 10:57 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-05-11

Howdy there, Cheese!  The URL to his thread from the FAQ thread still claims that you played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis with Steve Gaynor! Copypasta?  Yum!  wink

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 2