Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Posted: 01 February 2014 03:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons  (starting 8th of February)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Lume & Aether
  Next Game: Broken Age, Act 1

PWVZUQ5.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 8th February, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)
  - 15th February, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Guide two brothers on an epic fairy tale journey as they search for a cure to save their dying father.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Official Website (Steam version)
  - Steam (Windows)
  - XBox Live Marketplace (XBox 360)
  - Playstation Network (PS3)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread
  - Game Club F.A.Q.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 02 February 2014 08:38 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2013-07-04

Absolutely loved this game! The whole thing looked beautiful and the gameplay was gracefully executed. Highly recommended for anyone and everyone! Really looking forward to next week :D

Signature 

Also known as WavingPeople on Twitch chat!

I occasionally draw comics on my blog!

Posted: 02 February 2014 07:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

I would thoroughly recommend that anybody interested in the game play through it before our sessions. The impact of the game will be massively diminished if you just watch the stream smile

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 02 February 2014 08:11 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3472
Joined  2012-03-12

Yeah, I can definitely vouch for that after having finished my first playthrough of it today. I’ve never played a game before that has conveyed so much emotion through its controls alone. And it especially hit home for me because of personal reasons.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 02 February 2014 08:20 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

Yeah, I highly recommend that anyone that can play it before the game club, plays it. It only takes about 2-3 hours to complete (maybe a little longer if you spend time searching for secrets and optional interactions), and I do think that it is a game that is best experienced as a player.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 05 February 2014 01:04 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2012-05-19

Such a good game.  My personal Game of the Year from last year.

Posted: 06 February 2014 11:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-23

I. Love. This. Game. Allllll the feels.

Signature 

“|” psalmtree “|”

Posted: 08 February 2014 03:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2012-10-13

I’ll be there.

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 08 February 2014 02:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

The first session starts in a few minutes!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 08 February 2014 03:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The stream archive and chat log from today’s session are up!

Thanks to everybody who joined us today.

Another reminder that everybody should try to finish the game before our next and final session!

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2014 12:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  577
Joined  2012-12-08

This game you really need to hold the controller for getting the full experience. Watching it played will not tell you nearly as much of the story. You need to hold the controller, feel the brothers’ evolve through the game, then that ending… oooh. I’ve never cried from a game before I played this. I would place it at the very top of story telling in games, I haven’t experienced anything better.

Posted: 15 February 2014 01:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be starting the final session in less than 10 minutes! Come join us!

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2014 03:34 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The chat log and stream archive from today’s session are up! Thanks to everybody who came!

We’ll be taking a couple of weeks off from Game Club and returning next month with Broken Age, Act 1. There may be some schedule changes involved, so keep an eye out over the coming weeks for announcements! We’re hoping to put together something special smile

I’m planning to pop a rating up soon. What did everybody think of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons?

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2014 04:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-12-08

I don’t have a bad word to say about the game!

My opinion is that it is the best storytelling in a video game I have ever experienced - with no dialogue! The game is nothing short of awesome with stunningly beautiful visuals, great mood setting through doing instead of telling, very good use of audio to set the tone, and gibberish which replace dialogue in a way that conveys emotion rather than message. The control scheme itself is the way the character development happens, which is why that ending has such impact. It’s world building is very well structured, as the world turns gradually more grizzly and goes from happy fun village to turn to more serious and sinister and ends up telling a separate story of what is happening in that world, with war and terrible magic wracking havoc. The puzzles aren’t hard thinking nuts, but require some skill in handling at times. The mechanics are stellar, as should be when used to convey the story as much as for puzzling.

I’ve never played such a captivating game. It hits my top 5 games of all time, and the others on that list are very different genres.

Posted: 21 March 2014 09:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-12-08

I did longer and more in depth review (a.k.a. gushing over just how good it is at just about everything) of it over at Steam: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons review. I’d appreciate comments on it either there or here. Basically I’m trying to tell everybody that this game is the best piece of storytelling (not story itself, or plot, but storytelling) that you can experience and that I’m very much recommending the game.

Oh, and I looked at the FAQ for the games club and saw there was a scoring system. I don’t really like the idea of scoring a game, as I think that the numbers themselves are pretty much worthless without having the words explaining them in mind as well of the likes and dislikes of the reviewer in mind, but I’m prepared to give it a try:

Story: 10 ―  Extremely good world building, in much built up by side things you see while traversing the pretty linear game levels. Use of gibberish dialogue is a strong side for the storytelling of the game, forcing nuances to how things are said, body language, how the protagonists interact with the world, other characters and the other protagonist to become that much more important. A huge part of the storytelling lies in you as player controlling the brothers and how that is done. The story has only minor plot holes and is pretty straight forward. The game could be contrived as short but is well paced and very immersive and emotional, and it doesn’t give the feeling of being artificially padded, which I could imagine it would if they had prolonged it much further.

Usability: 9The game has a very nice pace of introducing mechanics and they feel generally quite intuitive, though at times it’s hard to keep track of what brother is going to do what thing when you do something with the controller. It’s recommended that you play it with a gamepad but it can be played with a keyboard, but from my understanding this control scheme does not have quite the intuitive feel of the gamepad. Playing it on keyboard also lacks the rumble that at times signifies game events or even emotional level of the characters.

Gameplay: 9In general, this is not a difficult game, as it is heavily focused on telling a story and not so much on perfect handling. The mechanics it uses are consistent and it does build them up slightly over time. And they are actually not just important for the game to feel right - which it does - but integral to both character development over time and for story telling. If mechanical skill challenge is your thing though, that is something this game does not set out to provide.

Assets: 10There is not a single aspect of this game that does not shine of brilliant design. From the watercolour-esque backdrops to the verticality of the levels that allows overlooking the scenery, to the characters’s wide set of animations that brings out their personality and emotions, to even the separate bench sitting mechanics in it that exists just purely to be able to admire the view… The graphics and animations of this game are nothing short of stellar. The atmospherical and varied settings tells an engaging story of what is happening in the world, and it is chock full of side things to do and see and people to interact with that aren’t integral to the story, but does impressive work in fleshing out the protagonists into rather more three dimensional characters than they could have been. It also has a very nice music to it, ambience that really sets the mood for each segment of the world and story that you pass through, and solid and well placed sound effects.

Impact: 10This is the first game ever to make me cry while playing it. It is immensely emotional and very immersive when you play it properly - that is, with the controller in your hand, headphones on, and in an environment that is free of distractions. It is a rather linear story and thus has the replayability of a beloved movie, rather than the curiosity of replaying to take alternative paths. It’s very enjoyable and I can foresee going back to it for nostalgia reasons will happen more frequently than most story driven games. But most of all, I will say that this is probably the best game I have every played!

Overall: 48On Jirard “The Completionist” Khalil’s scale I would give it a rank of not just “Finish it!” but the rank “Complete it!”

Completed: Yes

Oh, and if you don’t own a game pad - this game is enough as a sole reason for you to get one. If you buy one for just this game and never use it again except for replaying this game, you will have gotten full worth out of your money.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!