Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
8 of 22
Bad Golf: Community Edition
Posted: 19 February 2014 02:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1206
Joined  2012-03-13

Another status update!

cea83eba-9907-11e3-8aee-968cd78f13cc.jpg
Lightsoda and Fatmandu worked on nailing down scale for the test course and lightsoda has been working on lighting and texturing (issue #67)

elneilios has offered up a music track and is keen to make more (issue #10)

Josh S. is working on another golf cart model as seen a couple of posts ago

ff75ef46-9980-11e3-8ba3-81660e7ac0ee.jpg
Taekon working on player skins (issue #1)

f9880a96-998b-11e3-9d53-3d5d5a9362ab.png
xexano working on initial Patrick facial animation (issue #1)

guiskin.jpg
lightsoda is updating the menu to match our recent concepts (issue #16)

Goldenhaven is adding jasondesante’s title music track to the main menu (issue #8)

[ Edited: 19 February 2014 02:35 PM by Cheeseness ]
 Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 19 February 2014 03:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Sexy Robot
Total Posts:  327
Joined  2012-11-26

Unbelievably amazing. There are so many parts of this that are so great (that Patrick facial animation, for one). This AF’s during a pretty busy time for me (and I expect to have limited internet access for all of next week), so I won’t be contributing much, but I’ll be cheering for this project. Here’s hoping this becomes an annual thing!

Posted: 19 February 2014 03:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-03-25

Some more cart progress. I haven’t merged the halves just yet, so there is a seam.

lnD9HVe.jpg

3VMD4jh.jpg

jR9gt70.jpg

Posted: 19 February 2014 04:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2012-03-23
Josh S. - 19 February 2014 03:47 PM

Some more cart progress. I haven’t merged the halves just yet, so there is a seam.

Nice work. Heh, actually the seam looks fitting, as its mostly visible on the seat cover.

Posted: 19 February 2014 04:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2012-04-11
elneilios - 19 February 2014 03:22 AM

I love this! I am a programmer also but I think you guys have those coming out of your ears so I’d like to submit something else to you. I am also a musician/composer and naturally, Bad Golf requires some Bad Music. I created an utterly ridiculous piece of hard metal for a competition a while back. I’m thinking it could be part of the soundtrack for Bad Golf?? Have a listen, if you want it, download it and use it with my blessing (give it a minute for the insanity to kick in!).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=183977&songID=10820687

I can also compose more music specifically for the project, just give me s short brief and I’ll see what I can come up with smile

dude holey moley that song is weird?  was it done with midi guitars and stuff?  sounds ridiculous!  lost for words!

and yo check the previous pages, I think if theres any one thing we have so many people it isn’t programmers its a lot of people that want to do sound.  so if you can program, don’t hesitate to talk to the other people because we need more programmers for sure smile  you definitely have a leg up on me since you can program so you might be able to find stuff that needs doing that others might not have thought was important or anything.  Basically theres plenty room for everyone to use all their skills smile and you don’t need to limit yourself if you don’t want to smile

i also love how you wrote “mellow” as the genre for that song! raspberry

edit:  Didn’t post this here yet, made a new version last night with DOUBLE BASS just for Patrick smile  https://soundcloud.com/jason-desante/bad-golf-community-title-2

[ Edited: 19 February 2014 04:48 PM by jasondesante ]
 Signature 

Sept 21,2014
Justin Bailey banned me and then called me a dick because I thought it was funny the moderators didn’t understand a message that I and many other people all repeated.  I posted its funny no ones getting the hint yet, he bans and calls me a dick. 
Personally targeted attacks brought to you by Double Fine.

Now I cant see the 2PP doc of Broken Age, which makes things more interesting.
stop power trippin unban me plz

I want refunds for SpaceBase,BrokenAge+MassiveChalice plz

Posted: 20 February 2014 12:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 181 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-04-17

Please contact me if you need help with sound design, mixing, music or the likes, I’d be glad just to do some of it for fun. I have access to some (very) high end equipment here as well, so it’s no problem =)

Seems like sound is popular though, maybe there’s not much to do there any more.

[ Edited: 20 February 2014 12:44 AM by Daviid ]

Posted: 20 February 2014 01:19 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  853
Joined  2012-03-23

This is great! I really love this initiative.
I cloned the git repository and played with it a bit. There are obviously things to do there, but amazing progress in such short time!
@Cheeseness, I think there are some more programming tasks there that are not added such as having the game logic (the last part of Patrick’s post on the vision). I also see many hard coded values in the code which should be discussed what should move to something external. So I suggest we break it down a bit more. I couldn’t find a lot of options to contribute in the open issues, despite the fact that there’s still much to do. Do you have such a list? Do you need help on that?

Signature 

Adventure games are not dead, they are merely resting.

Posted: 20 February 2014 02:19 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
gsm - 20 February 2014 01:19 AM

This is great! I really love this initiative.
I cloned the git repository and played with it a bit. There are obviously things to do there, but amazing progress in such short time!
@Cheeseness, I think there are some more programming tasks there that are not added such as having the game logic (the last part of Patrick’s post on the vision). I also see many hard coded values in the code which should be discussed what should move to something external. So I suggest we break it down a bit more. I couldn’t find a lot of options to contribute in the open issues, despite the fact that there’s still much to do. Do you have such a list? Do you need help on that?

Broader game logic stuff is covered in #23, and definitely needs breaking down into a more granular set of tasks. I was planning to get to this after we get a build out that has driving, golf mode, and networking all happening together (currently this stuff is fairly disparate), but there’s no need to not move ahead with starting to prototype up if there are people keen to move ahead with that.

The GitHub issue or IRC are the best places to start to bash out how that’s going to move forward.

So far as hard coded values do, that’s going to get cleaned up as we go. Almost everything we have right now is proof-of-concept. Goldenheaven has also implementing a configuration handler that will allow us to read that sort of stuff from file, so we’ll probably hold off on doing anything large scale until that’s in place and working nicely.

Daviid - 20 February 2014 12:22 AM

Please contact me if you need help with sound design, mixing, music or the likes, I’d be glad just to do some of it for fun. I have access to some (very) high end equipment here as well, so it’s no problem =)

Seems like sound is popular though, maybe there’s not much to do there any more.

Please don’t let existing work/effort deter you from contributing something that you find rewarding. The goal here is to allow everybody to contribute and feel engaged. Additional game content is awesome to have, and the opportunity to collaborate with others in the community shouldn’t be overlooked.

We’ll be aiming to have options for selecting additional carts, music tracks, player models, etc., and even if something gets re-written or improved upon, just being a part of things can be rewarding and is definitely of value smile

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 20 February 2014 02:23 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-03-23
jasondesante - 19 February 2014 04:45 PM
elneilios - 19 February 2014 03:22 AM

I love this! I am a programmer also but I think you guys have those coming out of your ears so I’d like to submit something else to you. I am also a musician/composer and naturally, Bad Golf requires some Bad Music. I created an utterly ridiculous piece of hard metal for a competition a while back. I’m thinking it could be part of the soundtrack for Bad Golf?? Have a listen, if you want it, download it and use it with my blessing (give it a minute for the insanity to kick in!).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=183977&songID=10820687

I can also compose more music specifically for the project, just give me s short brief and I’ll see what I can come up with smile

dude holey moley that song is weird?  was it done with midi guitars and stuff?  sounds ridiculous!  lost for words!

and yo check the previous pages, I think if theres any one thing we have so many people it isn’t programmers its a lot of people that want to do sound.  so if you can program, don’t hesitate to talk to the other people because we need more programmers for sure smile  you definitely have a leg up on me since you can program so you might be able to find stuff that needs doing that others might not have thought was important or anything.  Basically theres plenty room for everyone to use all their skills smile and you don’t need to limit yourself if you don’t want to smile

i also love how you wrote “mellow” as the genre for that song! raspberry

edit:  Didn’t post this here yet, made a new version last night with DOUBLE BASS just for Patrick smile  https://soundcloud.com/jason-desante/bad-golf-community-title-2

Haha, yeah it’s pretty weird! And yes those are dodgy MIDI guitars! Bit of background, I’ve been a member of the Soundclick community for LONG time and every now and then we do little comps. This particular comp was called N00b Alert! The aim was to create a bad track but it still had to convince you that the author truly believed it was good! Any way, since Bad Golf is very tongue in cheek it seemed to fit the bill smile

I am actually a serious musician so if I get the time I’ll prob try and come up with some in-game music to complement what you have already done.

I didn’t realise sound was more popular than programming so I’ll certainly take that under consideration, although I’ve never created anything in Unity and never made a 3D game either. If I get a spare evening in the next few days I’ll fork the repo and take a look at what I can contribute.

Cheers!

[ Edited: 20 February 2014 02:33 AM by elneilios ]

Posted: 20 February 2014 04:30 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
Joined  2012-04-17
Cheeseness - 20 February 2014 02:19 AM

Please don’t let existing work/effort deter you from contributing something that you find rewarding. The goal here is to allow everybody to contribute and feel engaged. Additional game content is awesome to have, and the opportunity to collaborate with others in the community shouldn’t be overlooked.

We’ll be aiming to have options for selecting additional carts, music tracks, player models, etc., and even if something gets re-written or improved upon, just being a part of things can be rewarding and is definitely of value smile

Ok well, my strongest motivation is helping out. I don’t see it super-neccessary to put my own music out for the project, if others want theirs. But as I said, if anyone needs help with sound or music I’d gladly help. Effects seem to be sorted out, might come over with some variants, heavier motors and stuff like that, and I might throw together a song or two that’d be 100% optional for you to use or not.

Seems like metal is the theme for this game? Never played the first one so not sure about the general vibe of the game or music tbh. But I get the idea that it’s a bit madness-ey:)

We’ll see what happens:)

Edit: Jason, what gear and plugs are you using by the way? just out of curiosity. Drums gotta be DKFH or superior drummer, right?

[ Edited: 20 February 2014 04:39 AM by Daviid ]

Posted: 20 February 2014 04:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Daviid - 20 February 2014 04:30 AM

Seems like metal is the theme for this game? Never played the first one so not sure about the general vibe of the game or music tbh. But I get the idea that it’s a bit madness-ey:)

Mayhem is definitely the key thing!

The big secret is that there was no Bad Golf 1! Though Patrick has apparently had the concept for the game for some time, the world didn’t hear about Bad Golf until Amnesia Fortnight 2012, where it (sadly) didn’t make it through voting. Trivia win! :D

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2014 07:29 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 187 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2013-06-20
Cheeseness - 20 February 2014 04:43 AM

The big secret is that there was no Bad Golf 1! Though Patrick has apparently had the concept for the game for some time, the world didn’t hear about Bad Golf until Amnesia Fortnight 2012, where it (sadly) didn’t make it through voting. Trivia win! :D

Maybe not by Double Fine, but a completely separate, unrelated Bad Golf game already exists. It’s an indie game, and it is pretty terrible.

Posted: 20 February 2014 08:09 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 188 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2008-01-02

Oh god, this is amazing. The award for best-est community goes to DFAF, you heard it here first

Signature 

I am a duck. I am also a pirate. I am Captain Quack Sparrow.

Posted: 20 February 2014 09:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 189 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-05-14

A quick ingame face expression test:

Posted: 20 February 2014 10:06 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 190 ]
Joined  2012-04-17

Any deadline? Thinking of making one song kind of mayhem(/bit death)-metalish, and one more electro-based, but still pretty gritty. Then it’ll be up to you if you decide to use them or not, making music is fun either way, don’t really have much work atm:).

Things like bitrate, samplerate, format, would be good to know, since you’d generally want to keep all of the music and sound the same compression and rates.

length, loopable?, could also be good to know, to get a feel for your idea. smile

Posted: 20 February 2014 10:21 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 191 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Joined  2012-03-23
Daviid - 20 February 2014 10:06 AM

Any deadline? Thinking of making one song kind of mayhem(/bit death)-metalish, and one more electro-based, but still pretty gritty. Then it’ll be up to you if you decide to use them or not, making music is fun either way, don’t really have much work atm:).

Things like bitrate, samplerate, format, would be good to know, since you’d generally want to keep all of the music and sound the same compression and rates.

length, loopable?, could also be good to know, to get a feel for your idea. smile

I don’t think we have decided on a deadline. I think we need to have one, otherwise we could just iterate on this forever. It’d be nice to have something solid by the end of AF. Thoughts, everyone?

Posted: 20 February 2014 11:18 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 192 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  853
Joined  2012-03-23

It would be nice indeed. The only caveat is that this is only the fortnight part and no amnesia. I’m assuming most contributers continue with their daily regular job. So it may be OK to choose a different timeframe if that would help bring a prototype that shows enough of the concept.

Signature 

Adventure games are not dead, they are merely resting.

Posted: 20 February 2014 11:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 193 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-07-16

Wow, this stuff is amazing. I Did some warm up painting before work today. mostly just some thoughts on how to handle the horizon, skybox, and sand (forgive me for the terribad trees).

Inspiring stuff people keep it up!

Image Attachments
PO.jpg

Posted: 20 February 2014 11:36 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 194 ]
Joined  2012-04-17

Lol, would be cool if there were 1-3 holes per map, one per green, which randomly burst out some flames or something. MAYHEM

(maybe I’m out on the wrong path here)

Posted: 20 February 2014 11:39 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 195 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2012-03-25
gsm - 20 February 2014 11:18 AM

It would be nice indeed. The only caveat is that this is only the fortnight part and no amnesia. I’m assuming most contributers continue with their daily regular job. So it may be OK to choose a different timeframe if that would help bring a prototype that shows enough of the concept.

I’d love to see a “version” done at the end of our AF.

Something that could be referenced as, “the community was able to put this amount of content together during the duration of Double Fine’s Amnesia Fortnight”.  Something that could be referred to for future projects. 

This “version”, by the way, doesn’t have to be complete or final, but it should have all the bows tied and maybe a quick layer of polish applied.  After this one is complete, a new deadline could be made for the final product.

Of course, it’s easy for me to throw out ideas like this when I’m not working on it.  smile
You guys should agree amongst yourselves. 
Good luck!!!

Posted: 20 February 2014 12:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Joined  2012-03-23
uncookedtrout - 20 February 2014 11:27 AM

Wow, this stuff is amazing. I Did some warm up painting before work today. mostly just some thoughts on how to handle the horizon, skybox, and sand (forgive me for the terribad trees).

Inspiring stuff people keep it up!

Very cool! A painted skybox would be a great contribution.

Posted: 20 February 2014 01:44 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-03-24

Day 9 (wow, time moves fast) in-game screenshots:

Ball’s eye view of the course (it’s in the air, not huge):
7DpUvWX.png

First round of golf played from start to finish (I started way over the other end of the course):

kkRoGXe.png

Posted: 20 February 2014 03:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-03-25
PatrickHackett - 20 February 2014 11:39 AM
gsm - 20 February 2014 11:18 AM

I’d love to see a “version” done at the end of our AF.

Something that could be referenced as, “the community was able to put this amount of content together during the duration of Double Fine’s Amnesia Fortnight”.  Something that could be referred to for future projects. 

This “version”, by the way, doesn’t have to be complete or final, but it should have all the bows tied and maybe a quick layer of polish applied.  After this one is complete, a new deadline could be made for the final product.

Of course, it’s easy for me to throw out ideas like this when I’m not working on it.  smile
You guys should agree amongst yourselves. 
Good luck!!!

I agree with this. If this were to become a part of future AFs, I think we should try to stick to the same deadline as well.

Posted: 20 February 2014 03:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2012-03-23

I want to play it at the end of AF2014 smile

I’m following this thread closely, this is something amazing.

Posted: 20 February 2014 04:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Total Posts:  870
Joined  2008-10-01

It’s amazing what’s been done so far.  I’ve been looking through the issue tracker to try to find and create things that I could contribute to help get this to a releasable prototype stage.  It would definitely be great if we could get this out by the end of Amnesia Fortnight, and it would indeed be totally awesome if the community fortnight became part of the official Amnesia Fortnight in the future. smile

Signature 

I’m just a volunteer moderator who spends some of her free time helping on the forums.  Since I’m not a member of the Double Fine staff, I’m not privy to any inside information and my opinions are mine and mine alone.

Contribute to the Doug The Ogre Collaborative Comic!

My webcomic | My Blog

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

8 of 22