Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
9 of 22
Bad Golf: Community Edition
Posted: 20 February 2014 04:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Deity of the Forum
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  833
Joined  2012-03-23

There should be some levels that take place in cities and suburbia. Maybe you can play through people’s houses. BAD GOLF 2!

Signature 

My lame blog: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com

Grim Fandango Deluxe: http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com
(No, we’re not dead—come help us on the forums: http://forums.residualvm.org/)

-
Thanks for being selfish tools, Digital Trends!

Posted: 20 February 2014 05:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  3618
Joined  2009-10-13

This came at the worst time for me but I’m really impressed. I hope next year I can be involved in more than just watching from the side!

Signature 

Sometimes I make games: http://www.surprisedman.co.uk
Personal site/Music Portfolio, etc: http://www.kestrelpi.co.uk
Twitter, Steam, Xbox Live, etc: KestrelPi

Posted: 20 February 2014 05:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  518
Joined  2012-03-14

If I wasn’t busy with my own projects at university I would so be involved in this. But I’ve got my own game to make, in the next 5 weeks.

Signature 

Currently reading… Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

Portfolio / Blog / Tumblr

Posted: 20 February 2014 07:53 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  1315
Joined  2012-03-13
Daviid - 20 February 2014 10:06 AM

Things like bitrate, samplerate, format, would be good to know, since you’d generally want to keep all of the music and sound the same compression and rates.

length, loopable?, could also be good to know, to get a feel for your idea. smile

We’ve been throwing 44.1khz WAV files up into the asset sources repo so that when it comes time to do a polish pass, we can make sure that everything in the game uses similar encoding.

We’ve been aiming for loopable for menu tracks, but for in-game stuff, we’re looking at non-looping tracks (though if anybody wants to make loo

Lokno - 20 February 2014 10:21 AM

[I don’t think we have decided on a deadline. I think we need to have one, otherwise we could just iterate on this forever. It’d be nice to have something solid by the end of AF. Thoughts, everyone?

Actually, iterating over the game forever sounds like an ideal situation for this. There’s no real value in putting an end date on the project - people should feel free to come and go over time. The beauty of having source available is that it never needs to die.

We’ll definitely do an “Amnesia Fortnight build” showing how far we’ve managed to get in two weeks, but that definitely doesn’t need to be a source of pressure or stress for anybody, or a reason to abandon the project (I fully expect that people will move onto other things when it’s done, but I also expect that there will be others who will have more free time once the AF streams finish) smile

KestrelPi - 20 February 2014 05:36 PM

This came at the worst time for me but I’m really impressed. I hope next year I can be involved in more than just watching from the side!

Bad Golf: Community Edition isn’t going anywhere. Feel free to get involved later when spare time is more available :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 21 February 2014 05:19 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2013-03-24

This looks awesome! I especially love the Brad Muir Head. Do you plan on having the whole player roster be Double Fine Employees? Don’t forget Redbot wink

Posted: 21 February 2014 07:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

It’s time for another status update! :D

Jenni has contributed some player sounds (issue #15)

lowmankind’s cart is now in the assets repo and invadererik is working on getting it into the game (issue #2)

Lokno and The Mad Pirate have been working on camera terrain avoidance (issue #36)

7d750e1a-9afb-11e3-9973-f1f5f8d1eba7.jpg
lightsoda has been working on some shaders, fog and lighting (issue #67)

lightsoda has also been working on menu stuff (issue #24)

cc6a2f6a-9aff-11e3-89d3-5a3140b58eee.jpg
Josh S has been working on a cart model which we’ve seen earlier in this thread (issue #2)

bobsayshilol has moved us across to our new folder structure (issue #63)

bobsayshilol has also been continuing to tweak network features (issue #20)

invadererik has been working on input stuff and is testing with a bunch of controllers (issue #62)

7DpUvWX.png
Lasd has been continuing to work on the golf simulation (issue #22)

Xexano has been working on player facial animation (issue #59)

TheAppleseed is working on a pause screen (issue #73)

Goldenheaven has also been working on getting the new cart system working with networking.

We’ve also had contributions from MaritalWheat and osse101 for a swing power meter (issue #25) and an in-game pause menu (issue #73) respectively which we’re hoping to merge soon!

Not bad for 9 days’ work!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 21 February 2014 08:13 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2008-12-12

Indeed, it doesn’t look too shabby compared to the official AF projects. It’s nice to see that we get 5 prototypes this year after all! wink

Signature 

Ex-member of the Double Fine Defense Brigade.
==================================
Follow this link to watch my video playthrough of Little Pink Best Buds.
WARNING: ALL of the potatoes are included!

Posted: 21 February 2014 04:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2012-03-23

The progress looks amazing!  I can’t wait to play this at the end of AF along with the other protos.

Posted: 22 February 2014 06:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
Joined  2012-01-20

Hahaha you guys are amazing! I hope this is the start of an AF tradition.

Posted: 22 February 2014 08:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

It’s update time again!

1f85ac44-9bf8-11e3-8320-c0b4ff90d7ce.png
thegsm and bc5389 have been working on some minimap stuff (issue #85)

687474703a2f2f6a656e6e696665726d636d75727261792e636f6d2f74696d2e6a7067
jenni has done some concept art for a possible Tim player model (issue #1)

d207f9b2-9b53-11e3-93c4-24fdbffe52b4.jpg
lightsoda has been doing some testing of lightmapping with transparent materials (issue #67)

aa2c8786-9b68-11e3-8947-ebac66cb44a7.jpg
Josh_S has finished texuring their cart (issue #2)

bc5389 has recorded something that might be appropriate for a logo/splash voiceover (issue #8)

Lokno has been working on camera terrain more avoidance stuff (issue #36)

Goldenheaven has been working on getting volume controls in the options menu happening and testing networking.

invadererik has been working on adding sounds to menus.

invadererik has also been super helpful with sorting out outstanding pull requests.

I’m going to be resolving an issue with the “Assets” folder’s case (it’s wrong and case insensitive file systems are silly \o/), so I’d recommend re-cloning afterwards. There’s also a large file in the git revision history that I’m going to be pulling out (it was added by accident), so it’s worth holding off for that as well! :D

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2014 08:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 211 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-03-23

I’m constantly impressed with how great this game looks, even better every day! Go Bad Golf!
Also, look: you’re famous! IGN: Double Fine Fans Developing Rejected Amnesia Fortnight Prototype

Posted: 22 February 2014 09:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 212 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
jonnoark - 22 February 2014 08:50 PM

I’m constantly impressed with how great this game looks, even better every day! Go Bad Golf!
Also, look: you’re famous! IGN: Double Fine Fans Developing Rejected Amnesia Fortnight Prototype

Well, that was unexpected! :D

Many thanks to Katie Williams for giving us some coverage!

Edit; Would have been better if that article had’ve been published a couple of hours later. The repo’s not in a good state right now ^_^

[ Edited: 22 February 2014 09:59 PM by Cheeseness ]
 Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2014 11:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 213 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-03-25
Cheeseness - 22 February 2014 08:03 PM

Josh_S has finished texuring their cart (issue #2)

Let’s use the term ‘finished’ very loosely haha. I’ll be doing more work with that when I get some free time.

Posted: 22 February 2014 11:40 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 214 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-03-23

I’d love to help out if I can. Character modeler/artist by trade. Let me know if you need help with characters. even crits or feedback in general, though I’m itching to model something.

Signature 

David Mann
3D Artist
My 3D Portfolio
My Blarrggh
My Tweeters

Posted: 23 February 2014 01:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 215 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2013-06-20
DavidMann3D - 22 February 2014 11:40 PM

I’d love to help out if I can. Character modeler/artist by trade. Let me know if you need help with characters. even crits or feedback in general, though I’m itching to model something.

Jump into the GitHub. That’s the best way to help out.

Posted: 23 February 2014 02:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 216 ]
Super Action Beard
Joined  2013-03-24

Here is some inspiration for you wink

“We don’t play golf to feel bad. We play Bad Golf but we feel good!” - Leslie Nielsen

This game needs a really loud and bad punkrock song as an Intro! Someone should write a song in the vein of Andrew W.K.‘s “We want fun” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0oIidmNZ0 ),and the refrain is the quote by Leslie Nielsen. That would be a dream.

[ Edited: 23 February 2014 02:30 AM by Kaffeebohnson ]

Posted: 23 February 2014 02:20 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 217 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Alrighty, all outstanding pull requests have been closed or merged and we’ve fixed the pathing and history changes we wanted to make. Unfortunately, this means that everybody downstream is going to have to rebase. I’ve written a short guide to hopefully get everybody through that process.

Feel free to hop into IRC and ask for help if you’re uncertain. Chances are there’ll be someone around who can talk you through. If all else fails, you can delete your fork from github, make a new one and clone that.

Sorry for such a disruptive change everybody! D:

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2014 02:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 218 ]
Sexy Robot
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2012-03-08

My god… this is coming out great.  I almost feel really angry that I haven’t contributed or had time too…

I feel like at this point anything I can give might hurt the game even (voice overs is pretty much it though, that’s my major skill)

But seriously.  I want to play this just because of its energy and amazingness!

Signature 

Reid Harris Cooper
Writer/Actor/Photographer/Renaissance Man
http://popculturespectrum.com

Posted: 23 February 2014 07:13 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 219 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2013-06-20
Reid_Harris_Cooper - 23 February 2014 02:44 AM

My god… this is coming out great.  I almost feel really angry that I haven’t contributed or had time too…

I feel like at this point anything I can give might hurt the game even (voice overs is pretty much it though, that’s my major skill)

In my opinion, I think Bad Golf needs an over the top announcer at the start of a match/round that goes “Ready? Set. BA-AAD GOLF!” Also, announcements for Birdies, Hole-in-ones, Eagles, Bogey, Double Bogeys, and so on. I say just record them and put them up there. Maybe they’ll get used?

Sounds I think they’ll need, in enthusiasm levels from excited to sarcastic:

Hole-in-One
Double Eagle/Albatross (they mean the same thing so, whichever is preferred)
Eagle
Birdie
Par
Bogey
Double bogey
Triple bogey

Bad Golf! (For the title screen or when they start a game, I would suppose).

Posted: 23 February 2014 01:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 220 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-07-16
gloomyMoron - 23 February 2014 07:13 AM
Reid_Harris_Cooper - 23 February 2014 02:44 AM

In my opinion, I think Bad Golf needs an over the top announcer at the start of a match/round that goes “Ready? Set. BA-AAD GOLF!” Also, announcements for Birdies, Hole-in-ones, Eagles, Bogey, Double Bogeys, and so on. I say just record them and put them up there. Maybe they’ll get used?

Sounds I think they’ll need, in enthusiasm levels from excited to sarcastic:

Hole-in-One
Double Eagle/Albatross (they mean the same thing so, whichever is preferred)
Eagle
Birdie
Par
Bogey
Double bogey
Triple bogey

Bad Golf! (For the title screen or when they start a game, I would suppose).

Maybe post around the net to see if a Leslie Nielsen soundalike would contribute?
http://voice123.com/lv/Leslie-Nielsen-Soundalike.html

Posted: 23 February 2014 02:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 221 ]
Super Action Beard
Joined  2013-03-24

Nö, The Announcer definetly needs to be Unreal Tournament Style! MO-MO-MO-MONSTER PAR!!!

Posted: 23 February 2014 02:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 222 ]
Joined  2012-03-23
Kaffeebohnson - 23 February 2014 02:31 PM

Nö, The Announcer definetly needs to be Unreal Tournament Style! MO-MO-MO-MONSTER PAR!!!

Ha!  I was thinking so too.  DOUBLE KILL!  It’d be fun to have a dozen or so “Bad Golf 2"s on the title screen and play a different version each time you boot it up.  Cook, Serve, Delicious! does this and it’s great.  Also, a Resident Evil style “Bad Golf… ...2.”

Posted: 23 February 2014 04:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 223 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-07-25

No, anouncer should be Bruce Campbell.

Posted: 23 February 2014 04:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 224 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  853
Joined  2012-03-23
Josh S. - 20 February 2014 03:35 PM
PatrickHackett - 20 February 2014 11:39 AM
gsm - 20 February 2014 11:18 AM

It would be nice indeed. The only caveat is that this is only the fortnight part and no amnesia. I’m assuming most contributers continue with their daily regular job. So it may be OK to choose a different timeframe if that would help bring a prototype that shows enough of the concept.

I’d love to see a “version” done at the end of our AF.

Something that could be referenced as, “the community was able to put this amount of content together during the duration of Double Fine’s Amnesia Fortnight”.  Something that could be referred to for future projects. 

This “version”, by the way, doesn’t have to be complete or final, but it should have all the bows tied and maybe a quick layer of polish applied.  After this one is complete, a new deadline could be made for the final product.

Of course, it’s easy for me to throw out ideas like this when I’m not working on it.  smile
You guys should agree amongst yourselves. 
Good luck!!!

I agree with this. If this were to become a part of future AFs, I think we should try to stick to the same deadline as well.

Given the amazing progress so far I think there will be something very nice indeed to show. However, you have to remember this is a volunteer-based non-commercial project and as such no one can push to a specific date. Everyone involved have their own busy schedule. So I don’t think we can set exact dates for a playable prototype, but I’m sure the result in a week will be absolutely something to be proud of (it already is if you ask me). I think this is in-line with what Patrick wrote.

However, I don’t believe it’s right to use this measure to decide upon similar activities in future AFs. The right way to look at it is to measure its effect on the DF community. If the overall experience is positive it should absolutely remain a viable option.

But one thing at a time, we have to make a game here smile

Signature 

Adventure games are not dead, they are merely resting.

Posted: 23 February 2014 04:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 225 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-23

It’d be pretty funny if the announcer spoke in a typical golf announcer voice (speaking quietly/pseudo-whispering/possible British accent) for everyone’s first shots and then the metal music kicks in and they switch to the Unreal Tournament voice once everyone is free to drive their golf carts around.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

9 of 22