Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
10 of 22
Bad Golf: Community Edition
Posted: 23 February 2014 04:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
Double Action Newbie
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-05-14
le_pants - 23 February 2014 02:45 PM

It’d be fun to have a dozen or so “Bad Golf 2"s on the title screen and play a different version each time you boot it up. 

You mean like the Brütal Legend “Double Fiiiiiiiiine!“s? wink

Posted: 23 February 2014 04:44 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2012-03-23
XeXano - 23 February 2014 04:35 PM
le_pants - 23 February 2014 02:45 PM

It’d be fun to have a dozen or so “Bad Golf 2"s on the title screen and play a different version each time you boot it up. 

You mean like the Brütal Legend “Double Fiiiiiiiiine!“s? wink

Huh.  I just looked up half a dozen videos and they are all the same audio.

Posted: 23 February 2014 04:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Double Action Newbie
Joined  2013-05-14

Here is a good collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTYGyIMAiI smile

Posted: 23 February 2014 07:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2012-04-11

Rob Halford’s Double Fine sample is the only one in the universe that matters

everyone start listening to the album Sad Wings Of Destiny.  If you don’t have it buy it then start listening! Metal!

never turn your back on the ripper!  now I’m listening to a bunch of Judas Priest!  One of the best metal bands of all time formed the same year as Led Zeppelin but they are still going strong and evolving.  :D :D :D THANKS XEXANO! Now I can’t stop listening to Priest!  Electric Eye!  You Got Another Thing Comin! Turbo Lover!  The singalongs don’t stop!

[ Edited: 23 February 2014 07:26 PM by jasondesante ]
 Signature 

Sept 21,2014
Justin Bailey banned me and then called me a dick because I thought it was funny the moderators didn’t understand a message that I and many other people all repeated.  I posted its funny no ones getting the hint yet, he bans and calls me a dick. 
Personally targeted attacks brought to you by Double Fine.

Now I cant see the 2PP doc of Broken Age, which makes things more interesting.
stop power trippin unban me plz

I want refunds for SpaceBase,BrokenAge+MassiveChalice plz

Posted: 23 February 2014 07:20 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  3626
Joined  2012-03-24

Please don’t veer too far in the direction of metal blaring while awesome dudes kick ass. YET AGAIN. That tone is way too over represented in video games.

Less Twisted Metal, more Animal House.

Take this video reference and golf-erize it:

Signature 

Recently Played:
WAKFU
Ni No Kuni
Final Fantasy 7
Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People

Posted: 23 February 2014 07:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Joined  2012-03-23
XeXano - 23 February 2014 04:54 PM

Here is a good collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTYGyIMAiI smile

Ah, I see.  Those are great.

jasondesante - 23 February 2014 07:00 PM

Rob Halford’s Double Fine sample is the only one in the universe that matters

everyone start listening to the album Sad Wings Of Destiny.  If you don’t have it buy it then start listening! Metal!

never turn your back on the ripper!

Don’t mind if I do!

Posted: 24 February 2014 12:13 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-06-23

Those new screenshots are amazing. Bad Golf 2 looks primed for game of the year!

Also, I’m always down for some Sunday night metal!
i8hoRq2kQSSfQ.gif

Posted: 24 February 2014 01:26 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Joined  2012-04-11

New song!!! :D

Rough version of the lobby track.  Did a few things to make it similar to the metal title track.  Stuff like that piano riff that plays at the end is the same in both versions, the chords are the same (minor 7 flat 5 Locrian scale all the way!).  Kinda weird, results in a good amount of tension but its fun to play with.  Was playing a lot with it and what you hear with me playing random chords on guitar and soloing randomly is just to set an example (I play a LOT of wrong notes raspberry haha).  Think of it as me scribbling on a piece of paper on top of something nice.  It will be changed raspberry Same with the piano it will be changed as well.  I’m just having fun at the moment making stuff sound wacky and trying to find ways to make it relate to the title track.  Anyways,  here it is! :D

https://soundcloud.com/jason-desante/bad-golf-community-lobby

compare it to the lobby track https://soundcloud.com/jason-desante/bad-golf-community-title-2 

:D

Signature 

Sept 21,2014
Justin Bailey banned me and then called me a dick because I thought it was funny the moderators didn’t understand a message that I and many other people all repeated.  I posted its funny no ones getting the hint yet, he bans and calls me a dick. 

Posted: 24 February 2014 03:00 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  1205
Joined  2012-03-13

Another update!

blue.jpg
invadererik and Taekon have been working on getting dyanmic textures happening so that colours can be assigned to players withing requiring additional files (the right most one is the original, and the left and centre ones are coloured programatically). The current plan is to do this for carts as well (issue #1)

a2c70b06-9cb7-11e3-8596-67d476f13606.png
XeXano has been doing some more Bradwork (issue #1)

687474703a2f2f7777772e6a656e6e696665726d636d75727261792e636f6d2f74696d696e636f6c6f722e706e67
Jenni has been working some more on her Tim character concept art (issue #1)

92401940-9cc0-11e3-8cac-cfaf55c27adb.jpg
Taekon has been working on some lobby/character selection UI (issue #100)

8ac3ed22-9c61-11e3-9e1b-8072f08c1d7e.jpg
lowmankind has been working on some waterfalls and rock walls (issue #5)

QXpxOv4.gifbpPzySz.gif
cachemonet has put together initial in-game UI elements for swing power and ball indicators (issue #25)

Osse has been working on getting better network disconnect handling happening (issue #18)

GoldenHeaven has been working on volume control functionality (issue #24)

gsm has been working on positional audio for local multiplayer (issue #62)

lightsoda and invadererik have been working on polishing up our two current menu implementations bit, adding music and sound effects (issue #16)

Bales has started work on a lobby track with a quiet piano piece inspired by an older golf game’s lobby music (issue #9)

jasondesante has done another lobby track with a jazz feel (issue #9)

The Mad Pirate has been looking at some debugging output to speed troubleshooting network issues (issue #106)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I’ve cleaned some extraneous files from our repository history and fixed a case problem we had following the folder structure change. Details of this can be found in the new guide to using git which gsm and osse have also been working on!

Lokno has been working on more camera terrain more avoidance stuff (issue #36)

There have been a huge number of updates within the past two days. It’s been great to see everybody rallying together!

[ Edited: 24 February 2014 03:03 AM by Cheeseness ]
 Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 24 February 2014 04:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-03-24

We have a bug:

MfyMmea.png

Yes, that is the ball few hundred meters below the course.

Apparently if you leave your ball unattended and drive off into the sunset, the ball drops through the ground. If you stay next to it and watch it, it stays there forever. The minute you start driving away, the ball starts moving, first sliding all over the course, then dropping off. It seems like it has a mind of its own.

[ Edited: 24 February 2014 04:18 AM by Lasd ]

Posted: 24 February 2014 04:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Lasd - 24 February 2014 04:11 AM

Apparently if you leave your ball unattended and drive off into the sunset, the ball drops through the ground. If you stay next to it and watch it, it stays there forever. The minute you start driving away, the ball starts moving, first sliding all over the course, then dropping off. It seems like it has a mind of its own.

Although, if you drive away backwards watching it, it never seems to disappear. Them balls are tricksy I tell you.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 24 February 2014 05:32 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  853
Joined  2012-03-23

It’s never a bug. If the ball has a mind of its own, it means it’s part of how you play Bad Golf.

Signature 

Adventure games are not dead, they are merely resting.

Posted: 24 February 2014 05:33 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Double Action Newbie
Joined  2013-05-14

Although we should keep it Bad Golf, not make it Bad Quidditch…

Posted: 24 February 2014 06:07 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-23

We can add (longer term) a power up feature where you screw up your opponent’s ball by making it run off to the wrong direction.

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2014 06:14 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
gsm - 24 February 2014 06:07 AM

We can add (longer term) a power up feature where you screw up your opponent’s ball by making it run off to the wrong direction.

That’s sort of the plan with running over opponents balls in carts :D

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2014 10:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 241 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  985
Joined  2012-03-24

Some of you have probably seen this—but there is an article on Polygon about Bad Golf and you all: http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441774/rejected-amnesia-fortnite-prototype-bad-golf-2-is-getting-made-by-fans

Smiles

Posted: 24 February 2014 10:18 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Smiles - 24 February 2014 10:12 AM

Some of you have probably seen this—but there is an article on Polygon about Bad Golf and you all: http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441774/rejected-amnesia-fortnite-prototype-bad-golf-2-is-getting-made-by-fans

Smiles

It does seem to be getting around, doesn’t it? ^_^

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2014 12:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
Joined  2012-04-11

just in case people reading those articles clicking the github not knowing what it is…..should we write links to the humble store page and double fine’s twitch and youtube up top on the github page for people that might not know?

[ Edited: 24 February 2014 01:25 PM by jasondesante ]
 Signature 

Sept 21,2014

Posted: 24 February 2014 01:21 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2011-07-26

Okay. This is looking positively amazing and I do NOT want to miss out on this. Damnit, I wish I had found this topic earlier!

I have zero experience with programming, but I am okay on the art side of things. Are you still in need of 2D artists?

Signature 

Two little demons were jumping on a bed~ One flew away and severed his head~~

Posted: 24 February 2014 01:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
Total Posts:  859
Joined  2008-10-01
Friendly neighbourhood stalker - 24 February 2014 01:21 PM

Okay. This is looking positively amazing and I do NOT want to miss out on this. Damnit, I wish I had found this topic earlier!

I have zero experience with programming, but I am okay on the art side of things. Are you still in need of 2D artists?

There’s still some issues open that could use some 2D art.  The best thing to do is just look through the issue tracker and find something that you’d like to contribute, and leave a message there letting people know that you intend to work on something (and then put up a link to your art asset on the tracker once you’re finished).

Signature 

I’m just a volunteer moderator who spends some of her free time helping on the forums.  Since I’m not a member of the Double Fine staff, I’m not privy to any inside information and my opinions are mine and mine alone.

Contribute to the Doug The Ogre Collaborative Comic!

My webcomic | My Blog

Posted: 24 February 2014 02:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-23

I’ve added some issues referencing needed assets for the minimap if someone would like to take those. They should be relatively simple, but they certainly require thought and good eye for design.
Join in on the fun!

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2014 04:53 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2012-04-08

can you just park your cart in front of their shot?

Signature 

Back of the net.

Posted: 24 February 2014 06:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-25

More press:

http://www.destructoid.com/fans-are-bringing-an-unused-double-fine-pitch-to-life-271067.phtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-fans-are-making-double-fines-rejected-pitch-bad-golf-2

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:40 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
GunnyMcfly - 24 February 2014 04:53 PM

can you just park your cart in front of their shot?

This is something to address more directly once we’ve got the golf sim a little more polished and can get a feel for what works and what doesn’t. My expectation at the moment is that we’ll allow this, but have carts that are hit by golf balls accelerate and not be able to steer for a short period of time (so that blocking a shot becomes more of a risk vs reward proposition, and targeting opponents carts intentionally may even be something a player might want to do).

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-12-04

“They actually asked us about this and we gave them permission. We’re super excited to see what comes of it!” said Rice in an e-mail to Eurogamer. “And yes, the ideas are copyrighted. There are legal lines on the pitch videos and the webpage. We’re just letting them run with it for fun.”

Not to be a downer but this annoys me, this is what is known as copy fraud, ideas and game mechanics are not copyright able. Only the expression of an idea is copyrightable. Even if that we’re not the case, the U.S doesn’t entirely adhere to relevant treaties, so unless you register the copyright you are only entitled to actual damages (which would be what on 30 second pitch?).
As far as the name, I’ve searched no record of a trademark application for Bad Golf attributable to anyone from DF. Asking permission seems to have been more about respect than any matter of law.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

10 of 22