Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: Broken Age, Act 1 (plus live interview with Tim Schafer :D )
Posted: 12 March 2014 11:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1206
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Broken Age, Act 1  (starting 15th of March)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  Next Game: The Book of Unwritten Tales

wJMETC0.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 15th March, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)
  - 22nd March, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (interview, Stream 2, interview transcript) and general discussion plus dev chat with Tim Schafer (log)
  - 29th March, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 3rd game session (Stream 3) and general discussion plus devchat with Oliver Franzke (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Tim Schafer (@TimOfLegend)
  - Oliver Franzke (@p1xelcoder)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Vella has been selected to be a Maidens Feast offering to the monsterous Mog Chothra as it passes by her hometown of Sugar Bunting. In spite of the honour her people have placed on her and the potential danger to her family, Vella longs to escape and fight back.
  Coddled by an overprotective, motherly shipboard AI, Shay travels through space from one staged “mission” to another. In spite of the AI’s care for his wellbeing and his importance as part of Project Dandelion, Shay longs for real adventure and the chance to make a difference.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Broken Age Website (Windows, Mac, Linux, DRM free + Steam key)
  - Steam (Windows, Mac, Linux)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread
  - Game Club F.A.Q.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 12 March 2014 11:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

You guys, this is super exciting! Game Club began as a way to explore what makes adventure games interesting as an activity for Broken Age backers, and now we’ve come back to look at what backers’ passion and enthusiasm helped create.

I’m really looking forward to hearing everybody’s thoughts on Act 1, speculations for Act 2 and to sharing in the excitement with the special guest(s) that we’re yet to announce. Huzzah! :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 12 March 2014 11:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

As a quick reminder, the DF Game Club is based on UTC, which is not effected by DST. If you have recently observed DST, then the game club will be starting an hour later than it previously did. When in doubt, check the timer that’s posted on the DF Game Club website!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Papo & Yo
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 13 March 2014 02:24 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3457
Joined  2012-03-12

So it’s still Saturday? I was under the impression that it would be held on a Friday to coincide with DF office hours.

Signature 

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 13 March 2014 02:40 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
flesk - 13 March 2014 02:24 AM

So it’s still Saturday? I was under the impression that it would be held on a Friday to coincide with DF office hours.

We back and forthed on this a bit and ended up sticking with our usual time slot. I think this is for the best and make sure that we wind up with less confusion.

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2014 08:03 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2012-10-05

Hope this is a nice critical discussion of a deeply flawed product!

Posted: 13 March 2014 10:39 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
suejak - 13 March 2014 08:03 AM

Hope this is a nice critical discussion of a deeply flawed product!

Critique is as welcome as celebration, so long as nobody makes anybody else feel bad (which means, when discussing opinions, address any shortcomings of the opinions themselves, not the people who have them) :D

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2014 05:43 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Forum Master
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2012-04-11

You bet I’ll be there!

Question: Which part of the chapter are you doing first, Shay’s or Vella’s?

Signature 

THE AGE WILL ARRIVE…

Posted: 13 March 2014 06:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Bad Asp - 13 March 2014 05:43 PM

You bet I’ll be there!

We’re talking about mixing it up a bit to let some of the story parallels resonate better rather than just playing through one character then the other. This does make it more difficult for people to play along during the week. Permafry will be doing the stream, perhaps he’ll give some spoiler free indications of where he’s planning to switch.

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2014 07:10 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Sexy Robot
Total Posts:  341
Joined  2012-03-23

Hey guys! I’m really excited to be doing the streaming for Broken Age on game club. I looking forwards to reading people’s thoughts on the game as we get to see the game all over again.

Bad Asp - 13 March 2014 05:43 PM

Good Question! Cheese, Syd and I spent a lot of time deciding on a plan for the timing of the character switches, and came to the following decision, at least for the time being: We start with Shay until he meets Marek, then play as Vella till she finds the knife, then Shay up until just before the second creature rescue, then Vella’s Maiden’s feast until she arrives at Meriloft, then Shay’s second creature encounter, then we end the first week’s stream and we’ll decide how to split it up from there. At this stage, we’re planning to go with three weeks of streaming at about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min each, giving us plenty of time to playthrough the game while we also check out some of the many small details to find in the game. We may expand this to four weeks if we do an interview of Tim next week and it ends up taking too long. We’re hoping that the changes in perspectives will feel natural and make the game feel like a cohesive story, and we also wanted to show the character switching mechanic in action since it really adds to the overall experience.

Posted: 14 March 2014 02:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2212
Joined  2012-03-12

I’ll do my best to be there! :D

Signature 

@BidiotBales

Operation: Backlog

Currently watching: Under the Dome, True Detective, Doctor Who

I’m Bales! I don’t work for Double Fine, but I’ve been asked by them to keep these forums most excellent and enjoyable, as has anyone you see with the red ‘Moderator’ symbol under their name.

Posted: 14 March 2014 04:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2012-03-24

Good thing I looked today. So the normal time. Good. smile

Posted: 15 March 2014 02:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

We’re about to go live! http://double-fine-game-club.github.io/

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2014 03:53 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Thanks to everybody who joined today!

The stream archive and chat log from today’s session are up! Thanks to everybody who joined us.

Keep your eyes peeled for special guest announcements over the coming week!

Signature 

Posted: 19 March 2014 11:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

We have Tim Schafer confirmed as our guest for the next session!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Papo & Yo
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 19 March 2014 11:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

We’ll be doing a live voice interview with questions relayed from chat, just like we did with Ron Gilbert for The Cave (transcript) and Tasha Harris for Costume Quest (transcript), so get your questions ready!

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3