Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die! (with special guests)
Posted: 07 June 2014 03:34 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1157
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!  (starting 14th of June)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Kentucky Route Zero, Act III
  Next Game: The Fall

header_292x136.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 14th June, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion plus dev chat (log)
  - 21st June, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion plus dev chat (log)

ABOUT THE GAME
  The president’s lost it. Federally mandated group hugs, a pudding embargo… what’s next, gun control? Sam & Max are off to Washington to take care of this bozo, but the political climate will only get stormier… and a new power will rise…
  Note that to promote season 1, Telltale made this episode available for free.

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Dave Grossman (@phrenopolis)
  - Nick Herman (@ItsMeNickHerman)
  - Emily Morganti (@fovlet)
  - Daniel Herrera (@Drublic_Punkin)

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Telltale Website (Windows, Free or Full Season)
  - Steam (Windows, Free or Full Season)
  - GOG (Windows, Full Season)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread
  - Game Club F.A.Q.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 07 June 2014 03:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

If anybody’s having trouble finding the free download link for Abe Lincoln Must Die! on the Telltale site, it’s here.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 08 June 2014 11:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1437
Joined  2012-03-12

I believe it’s been a few years since I’ve revisited this game, so it should be fun to play through it again. smile

Looks like Dave Grossman and Nick Herman both plan to join us, so remember to hop in the IRC!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Stacking (with special guest Lee Petty)
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 14 June 2014 01:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

We’re about to go live! Don’t forget to join us in chat! :D

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2014 03:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3413
Joined  2012-03-12

That was a great session, with lots of Telltalers, both current and old, joining in. Looking forward to the next one.

Signature 

SUPER WIN THE GAME
A Hat in Time
Oliver & Spike: Dimension Jumpers

Posted: 14 June 2014 03:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The stream archive and chat log from today’s session are up!

Thanks to everybody who joined today’s session! Nice to see some familiar nicknames from the Telltale community, and a super big special thanks to special guests Dave Grossman, Nick Herman, Daniel Herrera and Emily Morganti for joining us!

Looking forward to next week’s session :D

Edit: We’ve had Jake Rodkin show up late, who sends his apologies. Some errands kept him from joining us today, and unfortunately it doesn’t look like he’s available next week. Say hi to him on Twitter though!

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2014 10:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-03-26

This was really good, I recommend everyone reads the transcript and shows up next week. Loads of cool insider titbits from the dev guests!

Signature 

Twitter || The Dan And Ben Adventures on Steam and GOG || adventure game with lead voice by me Unga Needs Mumba || my portfolio

Posted: 20 June 2014 12:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2210
Joined  2012-03-12

Oh man I love this game! I’ll try and join on Sunday if I wake up on time.

Signature 

@BidiotBales

Operation: Backlog

Currently watching: Under the Dome, True Detective, Doctor Who

I’m Bales! I don’t work for Double Fine, but I’ve been asked by them to keep these forums most excellent and enjoyable, as has anyone you see with the red ‘Moderator’ symbol under their name.

Posted: 21 June 2014 01:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1437
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be starting the final session in about 15 minutes!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Stacking (with special guest Lee Petty)
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 21 June 2014 04:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-03-26

Holy jumping mother o’ god in a side-car with chocolate jimmies and a lobster bib! This was an impressively in-depth and loquacious episode of Game Club!

Signature 

Twitter || The Dan And Ben Adventures on Steam and GOG || adventure game with lead voice by me Unga Needs Mumba || my portfolio

Posted: 21 June 2014 04:42 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The chat log and stream archive from today’s session are up!

Massive thanks to Dave and Emily for joining us today (Nick and Daniel were unable to make it). I don’t know about everybody else, but I had a good time ^_^

TimeGentleman also elicited this exchange from Jake Rodkin on Twitter, who talked about his animation work on the War song (his first big contribution to Sam & Max). It’s well worth a read!

Next week we’ll be making a start on Over The Moon Games’ atmospheric sci-fi adventure game/platformer hybrid The Fall!

In the meantime though, what did everybody think of Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!? Here are my thoughts in rating form (template thingy can be found here):

Story: 8 (Atmosphere was more compelling than the story itself, pacing was good. New Nico stuff seemed more polished, but had closure very early on in the game)
  Usability: 7 (Verb icons were nice and readable, as were characters and interactive points. Stretched res option is a plus)
  Gameplay: 7 (The puzzles feel nicely constructed, and there’s a good amount of content to work through. It’s great to see new riffs on stuff established in previous episodes like the driving sequence and bug)
  Assets: 8 (The visual production values of these early Sam & Max episodes are nowhere close to season 3, but they still capture the Sam & Max aesthetic well. As always, the music is fantastic, and the voice acting is enjoyable.)
  Impact: 8 (This is many people’s favourite episode from season 1 and it’s not hard to see why. It’s got the right beats in the right places and does a good job of representing the season)

Overall: 38
  Completed: Yes

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2014 08:14 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
A Pile of Kittens
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2012-03-27

This was great fun. Thanks for organising!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!