Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: The Fall (with John Warner)
Posted: 21 June 2014 03:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1232
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: The Fall  (starting 28th of June)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!
  Next Game: The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief: Chapter 2

header_292x136.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 28th June, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion plus devchat (log)
  - 5th July, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion plus devchat (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - John Warner (@OverTheMoonGms)
  - Danielle Lovell (@DanielleMLovell)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Take on the role of ARID, the artificial intelligence onboard a high-tech combat suit. ARID’s program activates after crashing on an unknown planet. The human pilot within the combat suit is unconscious, and it is ARID’s duty to protect him at all costs! As she progresses into her twisted and hostile surroundings, driven to find medical aid before it is too late, the realities of what transpired on this planet force ARID to reflect upon her own protocols. ARID’s journey to save her pilot ultimately challenges the very rules that are driving her.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Humble Store (Windows, Mac, Linux, DRM free, Steam key)
  - Steam (Windows, Mac Linux)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread
  - Game Club F.A.Q.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 21 June 2014 04:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The Fall is currently on sale for 50% off on Steam. I also wrote a little Steam review in which I talked about some of my experiences of being a backer and getting involved smile

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 28 June 2014 01:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

Less than 10 minutes to go until we start, and we’ve already got guests in the IRC! Come join us!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 28 June 2014 04:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3469
Joined  2012-03-12

I’m on vacation with only a mobile connection so unfortunately I missed it. I have been playing it a bit on my own though and I just passed the eight tests. How far did you get in today’s session?

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 28 June 2014 04:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The stream archive and chat log from today’s session are up!

Big thanks to John and Danielle for joining us - it was fun!

Oh, and creating a GOG wishlist item was discussed in chat. It turns out that there already is one ^_^

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2014 08:19 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing/chatting with John about The Fall on a fortnightly audiocast that I co-host.

John had previously joined us last year when the crowdfunding campaign was running, so it’s interesting to look at how things have changed between now and then.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2014 01:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

We’re about to go live with our final session. Join us and chat about the game :D

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2014 04:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The stream archive and chat log from today’s session are up! Thanks to everybody who joined us!

Next week we’ll be making a start on Chapter 2 of The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief! Exciting!

In the meantime though, what did everybody think of The Fall?

Here are some thoughts on the game using our rating guide:
  Story: 9 (The Fall’s premise is super compelling. That’s what got me hooked when I spotted it on Kickstarter. The game itself has fairly solid pacing, good characterisation and great writing in general.)
  Usability: 5 (The platforming and combat controls really feel like they need a bit more work.)
  Gameplay: 8 (The mechanics do a nice job of blending point and click adventure style puzzles with an Abuse style interface. Having the flashlight mechanic provide a “window” of interactability/inspection into the world is a really nice touch that adds to the sense of exploration and to some of the game’s claustrophobic atmosphere)
  Assets: 9 (There are a couple of rough edges where an animation might feel off or a texture might seem out of place, but on the whole, these don’t stand out. What does stand out is the excellent voice acting, and some nice atmospheric audio effects. The game draws a little aesthetic inspiration from Limbo and it’s a nice match for the mood and feel of The Fall)
  Impact: 9 (The Fall presents players with some great parallels between the protagonist’s experiences/limitations and the experiences/limitations the player has in overcoming the game’s challenges. The conclusion is delivered well, and though the climactic encounter can feel a little clumsy, it’s very easy to overlook.)

Overall: 40
  Completed: Yes  

Would love to hear some thoughts from others!

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2014 04:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

I unfortunately couldn’t make it today either, so thanks for posting the chat log. I’ll try to get a rating up while the game is still fresh though. It’ll probably be very similar to yours, since I really enjoyed most aspects of the game but struggled a lot with the controls.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 31 July 2014 11:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

No more empty promises. wink

Story: 9 - Very solid and I really like that so much of it is told through dialogue, rather than having to rely on narration. Even the A.I.s interface does a good job of providing clues to the backstory of the universe the game is set in.
Usability: 4 - The controls often feel extremely clunky, with several minor issues, but the main one being how awkward it is to flip the flashlight over to the other side of the player character.
Gameplay: 10 - I really like point and click genre crossovers and this is one of the absolute best examples of it done right I have played.
Assets: 9 - Simple but stylish art direction, great voice acting and overall has a very polished and atmospheric feel to it.
Impact: 8 - I did guess the ending by the time I got there, but it’s still a very interesting premise, I overall really enjoyed playing and I can’t wait to play the continuation.

Overall: 40
Completed: Yes

Signature 

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 02 August 2014 11:33 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Some cool thoughts, flesk! Out of interest, where you playing with mouse and keyboard or with a game pad? The recent 1.4 update (which only recently went live on Linux) changes the control scheme a bit for mouse users.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2014 12:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

I used mouse and keyboard. I’ll have to check that out then. It would be nice if they manage to address that issue, since it’s such a great game aside from that.

Signature 

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 03 August 2014 12:54 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
flesk - 03 August 2014 12:27 AM

I used mouse and keyboard. I’ll have to check that out then. It would be nice if they manage to address that issue, since it’s such a great game aside from that.

It used to be that the game used the OS cursor for aiming coordinates,and now it captures that, using vertical movement for aiming and horizontal movement to change direction.

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!