Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
6 of 7
How many of you haven’t played grim fandango?
Posted: 21 November 2012 06:42 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-21

GF is one of Tim’s most creative games, and that already says a LOT.
What makes it different and arguably led to its cult status is that when it came out, it wasn’t
commercially successful, and it had controls that weren’t very intuitive.
Lots of people just missed out on it, which is a terrible shame because once you actually
play the game, and get used to the control scheme, the experience of playing just gets
better and better until you finish the game and sit there in front of your screen simply in awe.

There’s been plenty of wacky games and themes in Lucas Arts adventure games. We got lovable pirates,
detective stories with sarcastic animals, Indi Jones, bikers, tentacles with time travel etc etc.
But amongst all these games, GF stands out. Partially because it was 3D, so stylistically there’s
a freshness to the game. Also you have the whole theme of the world of the dead, and simply the
premise of playing a grim reaper like it’s a normal %#$@&! office job.

Also, the game doesn’t just ride on it’s wackiness alone. What you will find is a very personal and
almost melancholic story, about love, betrayal and loss. It sounds corny, but this time it is actually
true. It has all the typical creative genius you’d expect from a Lucas Arts game, but it also adds to that
this slightly more mature element that really pushes this game to the top of my all time favorites list.
That the writing is sharp and super funny and smart goes without saying. 

I think the reason that people nowadays are so intent on nudging others who missed out on it to play this
game does on one side hint at the quality of it, but also because there’s a feeling of injustice that such
a great game was such a commercial failure for Tim and co (quite similar to Planescape Torment).
They made games for all the right reasons, and got burned because of it. I would even argue that if
GF were a commercial hit, we’d have had a more prolonged and better state of adventure games right now.

So please, play this game.

Posted: 27 November 2012 04:50 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Super Action Fan
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2012-03-23

If you plan on ever making a game, it’s important you play the games of yore. Humanity’s accumulated knowledge is a result of using past experiences as a jumping point, not reinventing the wheel over and over again. I’d say examining classic works, where they succeeded and where they failed, is even more important to the craft of making games since it’s such an interdisciplinary field. It’s also important to the credibility of an industry that constantly touts being on the “cutting edge”, too.

Even if you’re planning to just be a consumer, I think it’s still important you play the classics. Informed consumers put pressure on game developers and publishers to make better games.

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2013 12:11 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2013-01-01

*Prepares for face slap*

I have actually heard of it recently. I saw the name, many times, floating around in forums and game review websites. It was actually TODAY that I took the time to figure out what the heck Grim Fandango is… I must say, from the videos I’ve seen and reviews I had read, I cannot believe a game like that had eluded me for so many years.

*Engage shame mode*

D: As punishment to myself, I dropped $65.00 on a mildly used copy I found online. But it’s totally worth it!! >:)

Posted: 07 January 2013 03:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
The Smell of Cinnamon Rolls
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2012-03-23

Sixty-five? Ouch. The laws of ironic karma should cause GF to be released on GOG.com tomorrow for $5.

Signature 

Bullpucky.

Posted: 08 January 2013 07:23 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2013-01-01

Even if that may be, I still would have wanted an actual physical copy of the game. Ever since I got out of college, I’ve been somewhat of a collector of all sorts of video games. Grim Fandango was one I needed to add. >_>

I was a little sad when I found out that there are some people who still have the game in its seal and all, but they’re prices were ridiculous!!

Posted: 08 January 2013 09:45 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-02-13

Know that those tyrants do not actually enjoy Grim Fandango. For if they had a noble strand in their body, they would not seek to profit on a masterwork such as Grim Fandango.

Grim Fandango is pleased with you, Mr. Nomadic_09. Very pleased.

Signature 

I’m just a Laughing Buddha, baby.

Posted: 17 January 2013 03:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  2184
Joined  2012-03-12

I did it. I bought the game. It cost me $43 but if everyone’s opinions on this game are true, it’ll be worth it. Only problem is, it’s scheduled to arrive the same time as The Cave’s release date! DILEMMA!

Signature 

@BidiotBales

Operation: Backlog

Currently watching: Under the Dome, True Detective, Doctor Who

I’m Bales! I don’t work for Double Fine, but I’ve been asked by them to keep these forums most excellent and enjoyable, as has anyone you see with the red ‘Moderator’ symbol under their name.

Posted: 17 January 2013 04:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2012-02-13

Cave it up, then Grim it down.

Signature 

I’m just a Laughing Buddha, baby.

Posted: 27 January 2013 10:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-01-23

Can’t you tell that I’ve played, sir?

Image Attachments
Manny Tattoo.jpg

Posted: 29 January 2013 09:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-01-22

Because I’m a terrible person and also have an unholy backlog of video games I need to play. Some day!

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:23 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Total Posts:  2184
Joined  2012-03-12

IT IS FINALLY IN MY GRASP!!!
I shall now proceed to drop whatever I was planning to do and play the $#!& out of this game.

Image Attachments
P1020328.gif
 Signature 

@BidiotBales

Operation: Backlog

Currently watching: Under the Dome, True Detective, Doctor Who

I’m Bales! I don’t work for Double Fine, but I’ve been asked by them to keep these forums most excellent and enjoyable, as has anyone you see with the red ‘Moderator’ symbol under their name.

Posted: 15 February 2013 01:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-02-13

I was young broke and I did not get a sense of the game from the cover art. all I remember was a reaper creature/skeleton on the box who confused me.

I went for Red Alert instead

However, all those people who like funky games involving death should try Death Inc. on kickstarter

Posted: 19 February 2013 09:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-12-16

I would love to play the game but I can’t quite figure out where to get a pirated version working and I can’t afford to buy it.

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2007-10-18
rcorporon - 24 March 2012 10:29 PM

I played GF when it first shipped when I was in university.  Loved it and it ranks among my favourite games of all time.  Anybody who hasn’t played it hasn’t lived.

or died ;P

Posted: 24 February 2013 03:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2013-02-17

I had the game, but I never got past where Manny is managing the club. I knew exactly what I had to do, but I was playing the game on a more modern system… and things would move so very very fast. I wasn’t ever able to get it right. (It’s that part where you have to jam up the elevator.)

I would buy a remake of this game in a heart beat.

Signature 

Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven, Curse of the Rainhall

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

6 of 7