Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Is the ‘New Chapter - Unidentified Furry Objects’ a required purchase?
Posted: 28 December 2011 01:24 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-28

Hi,

Purchased Once Upon a Monster for Christmas for our two kids (and my wife and I).
We are playing Chapter 1 and when we finish page 3 and goto page 4, the ‘New Chapter - Unidentified Furry Objects’ appears, and it is requiring us to purchase it to move on.

Is it mandatory that we purchase the chapter to continue to play the game?
I wanted to flip the page to skip the page but it is not allowing that?
I have never purchased a game and then immediately had to pay more to play it.
It is disconcerting, because if I do have to pay, how many more times do I have to pay in later chapters?

Please help when you get a free opportunity.

John Lueders

Posted: 28 December 2011 01:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Royal Flush
Total Posts:  678
Joined  2009-07-22

I haven’t played the game but I’m like 99.9% sure that you don’t have to buy the DLC to move on. Unless you’ve reached the end of the main game maybe?

Posted: 28 December 2011 02:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-12-28

Thanks for responding.

That is my situation.  I cannot flip the page and my only current option is to download and spend 400 Microsoft Points for $4.99.
I have been flipping the pages to get to this point, and I cannot pass this ‘New Chapter’ option.

I have heard great things about the game and I know that this is ‘New’, but it has caused my game to not progress.
On the Once upon a monster facebook page, a person named Debi Dearest had the same exact post/question.

I am definitely stuck…and need info on how to proceed.

Posted: 29 December 2011 10:19 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2011-10-19

Hello! Sorry for the confusion on this point. You most definitely don’t need to pay for the DLC. You have a few options:
* Grab the left side of the page to turn back one page. This will take you to the last completed page in the main game.
* Use the bookmarks at the top of the book to jump to the start of any chapter you like. To use a bookmark, juts hover your hand over it for a few seconds.

Also, FYI, there are 6 chapters in the retail game. The last is “Like a Monster in the Sky”. Unidentified Furry Object is the 7th bonus/DLC chapter.

Hope this helps!

PS - sorry for the slow reply. We’re all on holiday here at DF smile

Posted: 30 December 2011 11:09 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-12-28

Thank you for your response.

I was able to go back a page but that was not desired…we did the first three pages and wanted to move forward.
I will try again the bookmarks…when I hovered over the left bookmark, it took me to the first page of the first chapter.
When I hovered over the right bookmark, it took me to the impassable new chapter.
I will try to hover over the right bookmark again and see if I can goto a different chapter.
Will report back with my experience.

Note:
I used my Bing Reward Points to purchase Microsoft Points, and then I purchased the Unidentified Furry Objects chapter.
That is what I did before your reply.
I will still report back with my experience about using the bookmarks.

Happy New Year!

Posted: 07 January 2013 04:14 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2011-10-19
thelueders - 30 December 2011 11:09 AM

Thank you for your response.

I was able to go back a page but that was not desired…we did the first three pages and wanted to move forward.
I will try again the bookmarks…when I hovered over the left bookmark, it took me to the first page of the first chapter.
When I hovered over the right bookmark, it took me to the impassable new chapter.
I will try to hover over the right bookmark again and see if I can goto a different chapter.
Will report back with my experience.

Note:
I used my Bing Reward Points to purchase Microsoft Points, and then I purchased the Unidentified Furry Objects chapter.
That is what I did before your reply.
I will still report back with my experience about using the bookmarks.

Happy New Year!

Hi, thelueders. Sorry for the slow response. We were out for the holidays.

In the core story, the chapters unlock one page at a time (except for the DLC chapter which unlocks when you purchase it). There are 6 chapters in the base game, but those pages unlock one at a time, as you play them. If you only see a few pages, try re-playing the last page (i.e. the page just before the DLC chapter) and completing it. That should unlock the next page, and then so-on throughout the game.

Posted: 04 August 2013 09:21 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  488
Joined  2012-02-13

Thanks for the answers. I was totally confused by this, because Unidentified Furry Objects always shows as the next page, and I got error D0000033 (“this feature is temporarily unavailable”) when I tried to play it. After reading this I understand why it might have been a problem, but I think it’s bad design. I think it would have been better if the pages were there but disabled, rather than not there and leading directly to the DLC page.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!