Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 2
How to back the project if you don’t have a credit card
Posted: 12 March 2012 03:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2007-08-31

Hello, people who want to back our Adventure but don’t have a credit card!

Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments, and they require a credit card—they can’t work with Paypal or anything else besides a credit card.

BUT you can use a pre-paid credit card and that will work great.

The thing is, I don’t know much about pre-paid credit cards. Like, where do you get them? Shady back alleys? And what about other countries? I need info so I’m asking you guys to share your experiences here to help out those credit-card-less people who want to get involved but can’t.

One backer from the Netherlands (Hi Norbert!) shared his method with us via email. Here are the steps he gave:

1. Bought a Ukash voucher.
2. Converted it to a Ukash NEO prepaid MasterCard.
3. Used that prepaid (debit) card to back the project
Such a card is a (temporary/virtual) prepaid MasterCard. It works just
fine with Amazon Payments.

The Ukash NEO prepaid MasterCard I used was completely virtual: all I had to do is go out and buy a Ukash voucher; all other steps I could perform from behind my computer.

First comment: What the heck is Ukash?

Anyway, he also said that if you buy a pre-paid credit card in a store you have to fill out a bunch of personal information about yourself, but if you go the virtual route as he describes it’s much faster and less of a hassle.

I feel a little weird sharing this information without first-hand knowledge, but I can’t think of an easy way to test it out. If anybody else wants to verify, or share their own methods here, I’d really appreciate it!

Have you backed the DFA without a regular credit card? Tell us how!

Posted: 12 March 2012 03:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2012-02-14

Hey tim,
I’m also from the Netherlands. A friend of mine used a 3v prepaid credit card(it’s from visa) and after a quick research i have seen that it is also available in Germany, Ireland, The UK and even Canada.

He told me you have to pay an extra dollar just to be sure, but next to that it works just like a regular CC. Just link it to your amazon account.

Local sites are mentiond on the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3V_(payment_system)

I hope this will be helpful for someone out there

Signature 

Amnesia Fortnight 2012! Voted for: Spacebase DF-9, KAIJU PILEDRIVER, The White Birch & Black Lake
Amnesia Fortnight 2014! Voted for: Dear Leader, What Could Go Wrong, Steed & No More McDonalds

Posted: 12 March 2012 03:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
King of the Forum Gods
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2007-11-08

But what if I want to back the project and don’t have any money?
downer

Signature 

it must be nice to live in a world where everything is so black and white. where condemning a man is as easy as counting to three. where everything makes sense.

-hot on baseball

Posted: 12 March 2012 03:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2012-02-14

Well you can live with one kidney and they are worth at least a couple of thousand dollars on the black market. So if you really want to back the project(and we all know you want to) why not go straight for the lunch.

*The above part is for satirical purpose only, i do not encaurage you to actually sell your kidney. Well, at least not before i know if i can get enough to pay for a lunch and a flight to california with that kind of money*

Signature 

Amnesia Fortnight 2012! Voted for: Spacebase DF-9, KAIJU PILEDRIVER, The White Birch & Black Lake
Amnesia Fortnight 2014! Voted for: Dear Leader, What Could Go Wrong, Steed & No More McDonalds

Posted: 12 March 2012 03:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Tim Schafer's Secret Lover
Total Posts:  10328
Joined  2009-06-04
seniormeld - 12 March 2012 03:29 PM

Yeah. Can we donate organs or something? Children?

Signature 

I’ll take your insurance… and your cocaine!
                                          - Dr. Tracksuit

Posted: 12 March 2012 03:32 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
King of the Forum Gods
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2007-11-08
Leroy Rocktopus - 12 March 2012 03:31 PM
seniormeld - 12 March 2012 03:29 PM

Yeah. Can we donate organs or something? Children?

I can acquire some children to donate if they do that. I know a guy.

Signature 

it must be nice to live in a world where everything is so black and white. where condemning a man is as easy as counting to three. where everything makes sense.

-hot on baseball

Posted: 12 March 2012 05:24 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2007-10-19

Getting a little creepy now.

Signature 

Alphabetti Spaghetti - My lame blog
http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 March 2012 07:08 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Straight Flush
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2011-02-27

oh man its so close to 3 million and this might boost it just enough to get there.

Posted: 12 March 2012 08:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-03-12

Next time, why don’t you use another platform that accepts paypal?

I’ve made a quick search on the Web and found this comparison, http://mail-pilot.com/blog/comparing-crowd-sourced-funding-platforms/.

As you can see, on the other sites the use of paypal is allowed and the fees are lower.
I have done some very advanced calculations and concluded that if paypal were accepted you would have 21.6% 21.7% more to spend on that beautiful house by the sea.

Thank you and good work on the magnificent project!

Posted: 12 March 2012 10:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2008-07-29

Is a prepaid credit card the same as a gift card? I know most major banks do gift card credit cards now such as TCF so you can just go up to the teller and ask about that. That’s actually how I donated my money by using that. Not sure how it works in other countries but I don’t think you’ll have to convert money to anything else or jump hoops.

Signature 

Street passin brah

Posted: 12 March 2012 11:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-03-12
Macaque_Number_1 - 12 March 2012 08:25 PM

Next time, why don’t you use another platform that accepts paypal?
As you can see, on the other sites the use of PayPal is allowed and the fees are lower.
I have done some very advanced calculations and concluded that if paypal were accepted you would have 21.6% 21.7% more to spend on that beautiful house by the sea.

I think that Tim said in some interview that they went with Kickstarter’s Amazon Payments because it offers conditional payment at the end of the pledge. In case the pledged amount is not met, nobody is charged anything. I understand that with PayPal, the money is transferred instantly at the moment of backing and there are some costs to return it to those who did donate. So, let’s imagine a scenario in which the idea did not fly, but there were 200 000 backers who gave one dollar. If it cost $0.1 to return the money per person, one would have ended up losing $20,000… Maybe not much to DF, but they would have been a bit foolhardy to take the risk when doing this as the first big player.

Posted: 13 March 2012 12:24 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3499
Joined  2012-03-12

Not sure if this will help anyone this close to the deadline, but if you live in Norway and don’t have a credit card, it’s possible to buy a pre-paid VISA card called SpendOn on Narvesen and 7-Eleven.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 13 March 2012 03:04 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-01

To any Portuguese backers out there, remember that we have MBNET (http://www.mbnet.pt).
A service that will generate a temporary virtual CREDIT card for all your needs.. as long as you have money in your account raspberry

More info on their website!

Fast, safe and easy wink

Posted: 13 March 2012 04:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-03-12

I’m in Canada and I picked up a Vanilla Mastercard in a drugstore between an iTunes card and KFC giftcards. Quick and easy to setup online(instructions on the back of the card, you just need to know your name and postal code) but if you get lost just PM me and I’ll try and help you figure it out smile

Signature 

I’m a teacher, an animator, and an enjoyer of a good crisp apple!

Posted: 13 March 2012 04:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-02-16

EDIT—-

Sorry, that was nonsense. Nevermind.

Posted: 13 March 2012 05:02 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Noble Psychomaster
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2010-05-14
flesk - 13 March 2012 12:24 AM

Not sure if this will help anyone this close to the deadline, but if you live in Norway and don’t have a credit card, it’s possible to buy a pre-paid VISA card called SpendOn on Narvesen and 7-Eleven.

I also think we can use debit cards if we register them to our amazon account

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 2