Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

“Social” in the adventure game
Posted: 25 March 2012 11:32 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-25

Some of my fondest memories of gaming came from playing LucasArts adventures with a small group of friends.  Beginning with Maniac Mansion, and on through Zak Mccraken, Secret of Monkey Islands, Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango, etc…

One of the best parts was sharing the excitement with friends when you finally got “unstuck”.  In the age of the Internet and social networking, how can adventure games maintain that small group excitement? 

One thing I really liked in Maniac Mansion was the multiple character idea.  In MM, one player, played three characters.  I like the idea of a single player mode like that, but also a multi-player mode where several characters could be involved in the adventure at once.  I’m not talking massive, just 3 or 4 people.  Certain puzzles would require collaboration.  Players could chat online with a headset.  Plus it wouldn’t have the downside that I remember from days of old of deciding who gets to control the keyboard grin 

I think the Internet really hurt adventure games, because part of their joy was the thrill of figuring out a puzzle that you’d worked hard to figure out.  Many lack the self-discipline to avoid looking up a puzzle solution on the Internet.  I don’t know the solution to this—but I’d love to hear suggestions.  Maybe in a multi-player version players would form a “pact” that they wouldn’t look things up online?

Posted: 25 March 2012 11:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-03-25

yeah .. i miss the social aspect of gaming that was created from adventure games ... but then again, it was only cause i played the games with my sisters. Its not like my friends came over to play adventure games =)

It does help family bonding more (or arguing over what to do with the character and things to try out!) haha =D

Posted: 25 March 2012 11:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-03-23

In school, my brother would play Rainbow Six with a group of Canadians…and now I have a fond love of Canada eh! I wouldn’t give those days up for anything…something like that’s really special and I’m glad I had that.

Hopefully someones kid will see them playing this game, and have that bonding moment…and I’ll have had something to do with that. smile

Posted: 25 March 2012 11:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-25

Wholeheartedly agree on the general subject of finding ways to rekindle some of those social aspects of the genre, but I suspect that the readily available answers for every puzzle supplied by the internet will prevent some of that from ever feeling the same…

While I would love to see something really ambitious like straight online and couch co-op, I suspect the revolution will have to come in smaller bits at first, like asynchronous spoiler-free knowledge of whether or not your friends have passed you up, or better designed ‘puzzle helper’ features (as seen in the likes of Zack & Wiki or Mario Galaxy).

Posted: 25 March 2012 11:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-03-25
Ryan Keokuk - 25 March 2012 11:45 PM

In school, my brother would play Rainbow Six with a group of Canadians…and now I have a fond love of Canada eh! I wouldn’t give those days up for anything…something like that’s really special and I’m glad I had that.

Hopefully someones kid will see them playing this game, and have that bonding moment…and I’ll have had something to do with that. smile

i know i would love to have these kind of bonding moments with my own kids one day ... and we cant have that with FPS!!!  .... well, maybe we could, but i’m not so sure it would be fond bonding memories ;P

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

‹‹ Am I just stupid?      Poll: 2D vs 3D ››