Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
2 of 5
Worst company in the US
Posted: 05 April 2012 02:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Royal Flush
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2011-11-23
hybridial - 05 April 2012 02:23 PM

There’s a difference between expressing distaste for something you didn’t like and demanding it be fixed; when it comes to stories, they are the creative expression of the writer, and basically, it is their work.

It IS being entitled to try to take property of it in this way, to try to demand something the author didn’t intend originally.

well, you ever thought its not JUST the way it ended? Ever thought all the taxing fees and origin and even the lead writer calling gamers jealous for not working the industry and being a women and having women parts(oh god do i wish i was making that up) oh and forced censorship of any fan critics I.E the forms and they twist the words so it supports bioware and EA?

it might not be orcamm’s razor here, but the ending sure did break the camel’s back

Signature 

Sir Psycho Sexy

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2011-02-22
hybridial - 05 April 2012 02:00 PM

Eh, I don’t even think EA are that bad, although I’d probably say their worst crimes over the years has been constantly acquiring and liquidating respected brands.

But even that I feel isn’t a terrible crime in a fairly fluid industry where new IP is routinely developed.

You’re forgetting the fact that there have been a few times where they’ve had advertising that has harmed gaming as an art form. Just look at Dante’s Inferno and Dead Space 2.

And then there’s been Origin, which is essentially a gaming platform that also allows EA to spy on you if they so wish.

Signature 

“This must be the window Maureen stared out of as a girl…

Dreaming of her life repairing toasters.”

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:38 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2012-03-24

^ You are making that up, in regards to the writer you speak of who was not the head writer, for a start. Your twisting her words because she said nothing of the sort, and she was attacked by zealous fanboys first, offended by the fact she didn’t necessarily like videogames but wrote for them.

Whether someone like her should be in that position is moot, the abuse she got for it was absolutely atrocious and unacceptable behaviour. And my stance remains the same, whining doesn’t get people anywhere with consumerism. If you buy something for which you find the terms unacceptable, you are the one at fault.

I didn’t love the ending, I’d certainly be lying if I said I did, but I loved the game, I don’t feel any of the terms were unacceptable in regards to purchasing it either. For the people who do find it a problem, well, the obvious and respectable choice is to not buy.

Rather than buy and whine like entitled brats to anyone who’ll listen. Just a thought.

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
King of the Forum Gods
Total Posts:  6218
Joined  2007-11-08

What about the fact that fans were promised certain things about the ending that didn’t happen? Are the fans entitled brats because they were mad that they were lied to?

Signature 

it must be nice to live in a world where everything is so black and white. where condemning a man is as easy as counting to three. where everything makes sense.

-hot on baseball

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:42 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2011-02-22

Also in regards to the Mass Effect 3 ending, it was advertised as a story that the player controlled, so the ending we got should have just been one of many choices, and even then, if I’m hearing correctly, Drew Karpyshyn had a perfectly good ending written out for Mass Effect 3, that had a perfectly logical explanation for why the reapers were even doing what they were, and they were planning on using since Mass Effect 2, but he left after ToR was released and Casey Hudson used his own ending which pissed off tons of people. If they had just used the original ending they had, chances are that people wouldn’t have been pissed off so much and none of this would have happened.

EDIT: And lets not forgot that Casey promised the ending would be more than “Choose A, B or C”.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Tim Schafer's Secret Lover
Total Posts:  10153
Joined  2009-06-04

None of this makes them the worst company in America. Here’s the original article. What strikes me is this statement.

After more than 250,000 votes, Consumerist readers ultimately decided that the type of greed exhibited by EA, which is supposed to be making the world a more fun place, is worse than Bank of America’s avarice, which some would argue is the entire point of operating a bank.

It may be true that avarice is the whole point of running a bank, but how many homes has EA foreclosed on?

Hell, there are still companies shipping blood diamonds to the US. That’s much worse than EA charging extra for day one DLC or making an ending that (believe or not) some people actually liked.

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2011-02-22
Leroy Octopus - 05 April 2012 02:46 PM

None of this makes them the worst company in America. Here’s the original article. What strikes me is this statement.

After more than 250,000 votes, Consumerist readers ultimately decided that the type of greed exhibited by EA, which is supposed to be making the world a more fun place, is worse than Bank of America’s avarice, which some would argue is the entire point of operating a bank.

t may be true that avarice is the whole point of running a bank, but hoe many homes has EA foreclosed on?

Hell, there are still companies shipping blood diamonds to the US. That’s much worse than EA charging extra for day one DLC or making an ending that (believe or not) some people actually liked.

I’m not arguing about them being the worst company in America, this topic seems to have erupted into a huge argument about Mass Effect 3, so the conversation should probably be kept to the ME3 thread.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  19347
Joined  2007-08-30

Why is this still even a problem? You people won, you get your better ending this summer, and free of charge no less. So shut the fuck up already.

Signature 

Proud Super Hero

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Royal Flush
Joined  2011-11-23
hybridial - 05 April 2012 02:38 PM

^ You are making that up, in regards to the writer you speak of who was not the head writer, for a start. Your twisting her words because she said nothing of the sort, and she was attacked by zealous fanboys first, offended by the fact she didn’t necessarily like videogames but wrote for them.

Whether someone like her should be in that position is moot, the abuse she got for it was absolutely atrocious and unacceptable behaviour. And my stance remains the same, whining doesn’t get people anywhere with consumerism. If you buy something for which you find the terms unacceptable, you are the one at fault.

I didn’t love the ending, I’d certainly be lying if I said I did, but I loved the game, I don’t feel any of the terms were unacceptable in regards to purchasing it either. For the people who do find it a problem, well, the obvious and respectable choice is to not buy.

Rather than buy and whine like entitled brats to anyone who’ll listen. Just a thought.

no

she said games shouldnt have game play

there isn’t a way you can candy coat it

is it bad that you hired a writer who doesn’t like gameplay?

yes it is, because gameplay is key to you know a GAME

was she a bit unfairly target and a bit ostriziced for her remark abit to harshly? i suppose but go yell at reddit

also its not entitlement if you are lied to, its wanting what you were told was going to be there

>whining doesn’t get you anything

protesting=whining, in how you look at it

also thats why they are making a new ending, apparently “whining” didnt do anything

oh wait. it did

Signature 

Sir Psycho Sexy

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-08-30

She didn’t say games shouldn’t have gameplay, she said she wished that games had combat lite modes that allowed her to get to the role playing elements faster. Some people skip dialogue, some people would like to skip a fire fight. I don’t see the problem with this.

The majority of writers in the gaming industry are not game writers, they’re Hollywood screenwriters who have been brought in with the erroneous thinking that hiring a screenwriter from Hollywood will make a game more cinematic. If this woman happens to be honest that she doesn’t enjoy playing games that doesn’t make her any less qualified then the majority of all other game writers in the industry.

She was viciously attacked for her comments, many people targeting her gender as the root of her views and being incredibly cruel, the way she reacted later was honestly understandable considering she’s a human being.

Protesting, whining, call it what you want, you got results because EA and Bioware wants you to go away, much like everyone else outside of this argument. The Take Back people who made this happen went about it in a immature and uncivil way. You make the entire community look bad when you act like this. I agree that Bioware should have given us something better if the ending is as bad as everyone says. I agree that they should do something to fix it, I just think there was a more mature civil way to approach the situation.

Signature 

Proud Super Hero

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  10153
Joined  2009-06-04

I think this is the case of a vocal minority ruining things for everyone else. 90% of the Take Back Mass Effect members are probably decent, mature people who just wanted to see a better ending (their only mistake was the entitled sounding name). The other 10% are complete %#$@&! who make not only the Mass Effect community look like brats, but the rest of the gaming community as well. Just look at the cupcake thing. That was a pretty clever way to protest, but all the articles I saw for it were filled with comments that said Bioware’s response to it was “%#$@&! all over their audience.” What was their response to the cupcake thing? Well, they donated them to charity. THOSE BASTARDS!!

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:40 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-08-30

Leroy has a point, I’m being unfair to the majority that probably did go about this in a civil way. I apologize for generalizing.

Signature 

Proud Super Hero

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:43 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2012-01-12

I agree in part with you scarecrow, but the idea of skipping dialogue and/or a firefight is counter to the idea of playing a game in my opinion.

Whats the point in buying a game if your going to skip integral parts that make it a whole? People don’t just watch a movie and go “Well this part looks poor, I’m gonna skip to the good parts”. Its the same with a book too.

I would say it’s also the fact that it’s easier to change the end of a game, just chuck out a downloadable file that fixes it, same can’t be said for a printed book and a movie would have to be released on DVD with the ending chucked in bonus features.

The whole entitlement thing, I don’t honestly get that. You bought the game, big whoop, you didn’t like the ending. The least you do is maturely express your opinion in a forum in a civilized manner. I would say they attacked the writer because she was female because a large majority of game fans are tactless teenagers.

Signature 

Bring it on home!

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Royal Flush
Joined  2011-11-23
DarkPlum - 05 April 2012 03:43 PM

I agree in part with you scarecrow, but the idea of skipping dialogue and/or a firefight is counter to the idea of playing a game in my opinion.

Whats the point in buying a game if your going to skip integral parts that make it a whole? People don’t just watch a movie and go “Well this part looks poor, I’m gonna skip to the good parts”. Its the same with a book too.

I would say it’s also the fact that it’s easier to change the end of a game, just chuck out a downloadable file that fixes it, same can’t be said for a printed book and a movie would have to be released on DVD with the ending chucked in bonus features.

The whole entitlement thing, I don’t honestly get that. You bought the game, big whoop, you didn’t like the ending. The least you do is maturely express your opinion in a forum in a civilized manner. I would say they attacked the writer because she was female because a large majority of game fans are tactless teenagers.

agreed

games dont need stories to be fun

but games need gameplay to be games

a good look at a game that just allows you to skip is the lastest alone in the dark, and that game was horrible unfun mess

I honestly dont think its a gender thing, because if you read her book(hepler’s) people were hating that(one guy said it was so bad, the hatred of it was strong enough to fuel the planet for 10,000 years) and this was a year before she even WORKED at bioware

so maybe there is something behind that? maybe its not that she is a female that people hate(alot of people love the witcher 2, and the lead writer is a female if i recall) maybe its because she isn’t that good of a writer and used the “its because im a female” excuse( i would say look at her tumblr or whatever, but she deleted it awhile back)

I’m not defending reddit in anyway(they are another evil I’m not even bringing up) but bioware/EA are pretty bad now(bioware was cool at one point, once ME1 was over, %#$@&! hit the fan)

Signature 

Sir Psycho Sexy

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2011-02-22
Domo209 - 05 April 2012 03:56 PM

I’m not defending reddit in anyway(they are another evil I’m not even bringing up) but bioware/EA are pretty bad now(bioware was cool at one point, once ME1 was over, %#$@&! hit the fan)

No, more like when Dragon Age 2 came out. As bad as I think ME3’s ending is, DA2 was bad writing all the way.

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

2 of 5