Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
4 of 4
DF Game Club:  Gemini Rue - 7/14, 7/21, 7/28, & 8/4
Posted: 16 July 2012 09:53 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2012-03-13

OK, so I’ve been talking with Joshua, who is going to be available closer to 2:00pm PDT.

This will give us a chance to (hopefully) finish the game before he drops by for Q&A, which will reduce the impact of spoilers :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 16 July 2012 10:14 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2012-02-14
Cheeseness - 16 July 2012 09:53 PM

OK, so I’ve been talking with Joshua, who is going to be available closer to 2:00pm PDT.
This will give us a chance to (hopefully) finish the game before he drops by for Q&A, which will reduce the impact of spoilers :D

I’ve updated the main post to indicate the 2pm developer chat, and the 12noon start of the end-of-game stream.

I made a post to the Wadjeteye Games forum to see if anyone there wanted to come by, if anyone wants to make posts in any other places publicizing the game club, feel free to copy that text I wrote there.  I was thinking this upcoming chat could draw interest from the AGS community, Reddit, or other forums, if they were informed (haven’t had time to post anything elsewhere at the moment).

And thanks for coming by Greg!

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-11

Hey guys—this is Joshua Nuernberger, the creator of Gemini Rue. Just wanted to say that I’m super excited y’all are covering Gemini Rue in the DF Game Club!

Also, due to something coming up, I unfortunately won’t be able to do the Dev Chat this Saturday. I’ve been talking to Cheeseness about when/how would be best to reschedule so we’ll let you know when that occurs.

Looking forward to chatting with you all whenever/however it happens!

- Josh ‘thejburger’

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
thejburger - 18 July 2012 11:17 PM

Also, due to something coming up, I unfortunately won’t be able to do the Dev Chat this Saturday. I’ve been talking to Cheeseness about when/how would be best to reschedule so we’ll let you know when that occurs.

We’ll still be running Game Club as normal on Saturday though, so anybody who’s keen can join us for the second part of our playthrough and discuss the game in IRC!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 21 July 2012 03:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

An archive of the stream is here: http://www.twitch.tv/twolofbees/b/325746270
I’ve saved a copy of the log. Pastebin probably isn’t a good place to keep this stuff since it expires eventually. Any thoughts on a longer term place? I’m happy to throw them up on my webserver, but I’m wary of being seen to be plugging my own stuff >_<

Edit: Also, big thanks to whomever it was that retweeted my tweet from @DoubleFine :D

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2010-07-20

Hey guys, what’s next?!!

Posted: 27 July 2012 07:10 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

We’ve still got one final session of Gemini Rue to do, and then hopefully we’ll be able to slot in the dev Q&A with Joshua before we move onto the next game.

I’m keen to see us decide on the next game soon though (if I’m going to be streaming it, I need time to test/prepare). I think ToMI and The Last Express were neck and neck in the new poll, while Machinarium and The Longest Journey(?) were contenders in the old backer-only poll. Of those titles, I only own ToMI and Machinarium (if that counts for anything).

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2012 08:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  1454
Joined  2012-03-12
Cheeseness - 27 July 2012 07:10 PM

We’ve still got one final session of Gemini Rue to do, and then hopefully we’ll be able to slot in the dev Q&A with Joshua before we move onto the next game.

I’m keen to see us decide on the next game soon though (if I’m going to be streaming it, I need time to test/prepare). I think ToMI and The Last Express were neck and neck in the new poll, while Machinarium and The Longest Journey(?) were contenders in the old backer-only poll. Of those titles, I only own ToMI and Machinarium (if that counts for anything).

I own ToMI, Machinarium, and The Longest Journey, but I don’t own The Last Express.

I’m very familiar with ToMI, but I haven’t played Machinarium since it came out (it’s a charming little adventure, but nothing I’ve had any real desire to replay) and, despite owning it, I haven’t played The Longest Journey yet, as I’ve only bought it recently and I’ve have quite a few distractions lately thanks to the recent Steam sale.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Maniac Mansion
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 28 July 2012 01:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

We just finished streaming the final part of Gemini Rue. An archive of the stream is here (I’ll get a chat log up soon).

And here’s the archive of part two, and the part two chat log.

I just discovered that Twitch.TV automatically deletes old videos that haven’t been selected to be “saved forever”, so it looks like the first part has vanished (sorry guys!). I think I’ll play through again and rerecord it though so that we’ve got a full record.

I’m expecting to hear back from Joshua Nuernberger in a few days, and hopefully we’ll be able to sort out a time that works for him. I’ll keep everybody appraised smile

Now that we’ve finished Gemini Rue, I have to say, I was far more impressed than I expected to be. The parallel presentation of Delta-Six and Azriel’s initial tales implied that Delta-Six was the missing brother in a convincing enough way that the thought never crossed my mind that they were the same person until Sayuri was given her name. Some of the dialogue at the end of the game felt a little stiff, but it was more than adequate and left me pondering the possibility of predeterminism, the meaning of memory, and the value of choice - powerful stuff for a medium that is rarely taken seriously.

I found the action sequences to be an interesting juxtaposition against the traditional point and click gameplay, and though I wish there were more/more complex sliding box puzzles, they were welcome too.

What are everybody else’s thoughts?

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2012 08:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

By the way, I got confirmation yesterday from Joshua Nuernberger that he’s good to go for Saturday the 4th at our normal time slot of 12:00pm midday PST (if you live elsewhere in the world, here’s a converter). He’ll be joining us in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on foonetic.net (there’s a webchat link in the first post of this thread), and I’m going to look at maybe streaming an easter egg hunt or something at the same time. Huzzah :D

Edit: And here’s an IRC log for yesterday’s Game Club session.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 11:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Dr. Action Poster, Esq.
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-04-05

Whoo! Is everone ready for this week’s game club that officially begins in 15 minutes? :D

Signature 

Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.™
Join us on IRC: #dfadventure@irc.foonetic.net [Web IRC client]

Posted: 04 August 2012 11:59 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
The Smell of Cinnamon Rolls
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-03-13
takarayama - 04 August 2012 11:46 AM

Whoo! Is everone ready for this week’s game club that officially begins in 15 minutes? :D

yup

Signature 

Join us on IRC: #dfadventure @ irc.foonetic.net
Or use the web based chat client embedded on The Double Fine Game Club homepage

Posted: 04 August 2012 12:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
The Smell of Cinnamon Rolls
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-03-13

Stream is on @ http://www.twitch.tv/twolofbees .. information about the chat in my signature

Signature 

Join us on IRC: #dfadventure @ irc.foonetic.net
Or use the web based chat client embedded on The Double Fine Game Club homepage

Posted: 04 August 2012 04:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Aaaand we’re done! Massive thankyou to Joshua Nuernberger for giving up some of his time to share his thoughts and perspectives with us!

For anybody who couldn’t make it, there’s a chat log here, and there’s an archive of my easter egg hunt here and here (I had some sound difficulties and had to restart the stream).

As discussed in the Game Club planning thread, we’re going to look at playing Machinarium next! Keep an eye out for a forum thread when one of us gets around to creating one (we’ll get a link posted in here).

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2012 04:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

As promised, here’s a link to the Machinarium thread.

If anybody’ keen to keep talking about Gemini Rue, I’m sure this thread will stay open smile

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

4 of 4