Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

HOLY ***! kickstarter for OUYA….AN OPEN SOURCE GAME CONSOLE. (you’re not hallucinating…you really did just read: “OPEN SOURCE GAME CONSOLE”!)
Posted: 12 July 2012 08:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2012-05-19

Heres the kickstarter link for this badboy…..heck yea i’m backin’ this!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

click the link…watch the clip on the page. be amazed and get excited….give them a dollar at least while you’re at it.

I think part of the reason why this is possible is because of the success that DF had w/ their DFA kickstarter.
I’m proud of you (collectively) DF….a revolution is on the horizon.
Maybe next year an ‘unofficial’ sequel to Iron Brigade can really be put on the table if you wonderful guys n’ gals aren’t too busy.

btw..if i didn’t ruv DF so much i’d make malicious threats (and fulfill them if need be) to make sure you ppl weren’t too busy…..
but i can’t b/c i ruv you….and the guilt would consume the very fabric of my being.
(don’t mind me…i’m grumpy from iron brigade withdrawal *eye twitch*)

Signature 

All posts should somehow lead back to Iron Brigade.

Posted: 12 July 2012 11:21 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Tim Schafer's Secret Lover
Total Posts:  12648
Joined  2010-06-14

bold prediction: a year after release this thing will be a paperweight

Posted: 12 July 2012 11:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2012-06-27

I read that Minecraft isn’t guaranteed to be on there, contrary to what they were advertising.

Signature 

Proud supporter of DFA & many other Double Fine projects.

Posted: 13 July 2012 12:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2012-05-19
suttonmitchell - 12 July 2012 11:28 PM

I read that Minecraft isn’t guaranteed to be on there, contrary to what they were advertising.

I don’t mind. Mac and 360 versions are enough for me. I hate how enjoyable it is to waste so many hours building something in minecraft….on the 360 I been working on a minecart rail system at the top of the world connected by towers at various points…its been taking me forever and idk when I’ll be done….and after every session I question myself as to why I keep working on it…collecting cobblestone for an hour…WHY!?!?!?
.....and then I play Iron Brigade and feel good about myself again.

Signature 

All posts should somehow lead back to Iron Brigade.

Posted: 18 July 2012 05:56 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Noble Psychomaster
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2010-05-14

Open console; in other words a PC.
This console actually does more harm than good;
Can make retail prices go up to compensate for losses.
Will make exclusive games even more exclusive, as the console might not be easy to get a hold of, (all be it’s cheap.)
Can cause market competition, and who will suffer? The developers of course! Because they’ll have to settle for price reductions to be competitive and MS and Sony still want their money.

On another I also think the Ouya people might not be as good as they give them selves out to be; For a kickstarter video I at least expect some eye contact.
I have also tried contacting them through Kickstarter whit a very general question. They have neglected to answer and I’m probably not the only one to ask.
I was among the first 40.000 to pledge. What did they do? Added 40.000 more; telling me they are only doing it for profit. They haven’t even suggested what they are going to do with the extra money yet. Why? because they don’t need to do anything. They’ve made a lot of cash on a piece of * product and though that’s what most people do they do it the right way. Not through kickstrarter which is there solely for people that actually need a kickstart.

It’s easy to reduce your pledge to a buck and give them some pressure. Most people think this will revolutionize anything. It’s a stripped mobile attached you can attach to your TV, and probably a not so good controller that will run on batteries.

Edit:
Just struck me; the reason they haven’t done a real update yet is because they have to wipe the grin of their face as they are waiting for that super expensive camera crew to return.
But until that happens they won’t see more than my buck.

Posted: 18 July 2012 09:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-03-23

Minecraft’s Notch has made a generous pledge on here, for those curious. Notch himself was quoted saying, “I am quite frankly surprised this hasn’t happened earlier. Me and plenty of other people have tried connecting small PCs to their TVs and plugging in controllers in an attempt to get an open TV gaming experience that they can control, but there’s been constant interface and infrastructure problems with that. And frankly, the only really good use of it was to run emulators. Something like OUYA could solve a lot of these issues, making it easier to find and navigate between content, and putting a good community in place around it.”

Posted: 18 July 2012 09:55 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-03-23
Howlstone - 18 July 2012 05:56 AM

Open console; in other words a PC.
This console actually does more harm than good;
Can make retail prices go up to compensate for losses.
Will make exclusive games even more exclusive, as the console might not be easy to get a hold of, (all be it’s cheap.)
Can cause market competition, and who will suffer? The developers of course! Because they’ll have to settle for price reductions to be competitive and MS and Sony still want their money.

On another I also think the Ouya people might not be as good as they give them selves out to be; For a kickstarter video I at least expect some eye contact.
I have also tried contacting them through Kickstarter whit a very general question. They have neglected to answer and I’m probably not the only one to ask.
I was among the first 40.000 to pledge. What did they do? Added 40.000 more; telling me they are only doing it for profit. They haven’t even suggested what they are going to do with the extra money yet. Why? because they don’t need to do anything. They’ve made a lot of cash on a piece of * product and though that’s what most people do they do it the right way. Not through kickstrarter which is there solely for people that actually need a kickstart.

It’s easy to reduce your pledge to a buck and give them some pressure. Most people think this will revolutionize anything. It’s a stripped mobile attached you can attach to your TV, and probably a not so good controller that will run on batteries.

Edit:
Just struck me; the reason they haven’t done a real update yet is because they have to wipe the grin of their face as they are waiting for that super expensive camera crew to return.
But until that happens they won’t see more than my buck.

Essentially the Kickstarter page has basically become a pre-order page now, they are way above their funding goal and added more slots for everyone that wants to get one can since their original 10,000 units was used up in 8 hours, hence why they added more units. If you despise it so much just remove your pledge and call it a day.

Posted: 18 July 2012 10:02 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-06-14
MadStyle - 18 July 2012 09:51 AM

Minecraft’s Notch has made a generous pledge on here, for those curious. Notch himself was quoted saying, “I am quite frankly surprised this hasn’t happened earlier. Me and plenty of other people have tried connecting small PCs to their TVs and plugging in controllers in an attempt to get an open TV gaming experience that they can control, but there’s been constant interface and infrastructure problems with that. And frankly, the only really good use of it was to run emulators. Something like OUYA could solve a lot of these issues, making it easier to find and navigate between content, and putting a good community in place around it.”

But as Will said, the lack of a solid launch title will be a problem. I keep my other consoles pretty much not even plugged in when there are no good games out, and I could see this one going the same way as the Pandora. I bought that one on launch to get an open handheld gaming device, but the lack of interesting content has kept me from using it.

I hope it does well. It would be amazing. It’s basically the Steam box.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/16/influential-indies-on-the-brouhaha-around-ouya/

you left out the rest of the quote. he is obviously not putting a lot of confidence into the thing.

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2012-05-19

Worst case, you get a new console with a controller that you can play some of your indie and casual platformer games in front of your tv for merely $100.  I’d say that’s not a bad offer, by any stretch.

Also, it’s Android, and there are plenty of games already written in Android and lots of the new kickstarter games are being released on Android.  I would be willing to bet it will have/get a program like Xpadder that allows you to map buttons to the controller, at least, for games not made specifically for it.  Even if not a stellar success, it will probably have it’s uses.

Posted: 20 July 2012 11:26 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-23

As well you can side load other apk’s to it.. meaning whatever works on Android you will be able to run it on Ouya as well..

Posted: 20 July 2012 11:33 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-06-14

so what you guys are saying is that it’s basically like an android phone… that isn’t portable.

Posted: 20 July 2012 11:36 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-05-28

Not wanting to split hairs too much but an android phone is a computer and since the whole point of it is to play games on your big screen TV it doesn’t need to be any more portable than to be able to easily pick it up and take it to a mates house to play on their telly.

So in a word, I guess, yes.

Posted: 18 September 2012 04:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2012-09-08

I agree with this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-14-saturday-soapbox-the-trouble-with-ouya

Posted: 22 September 2012 08:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-03-23

My fear of ouya is that its either a big scam because while they certainly talked alot of words they seemed to promise the impossible, or that the people backing it didn’t quite know what they were backing.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!