Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
5 of 5
Tipping
Posted: 07 February 2013 12:36 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1638
Joined  2010-08-27

What where did all these posts come from mad

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Tim Schafer's Secret Lover
Total Posts:  12691
Joined  2010-06-14
seniormeld - 07 February 2013 12:09 AM

It also bugs me, only making minimum wage and not allowed to get tips for 4 years, that I now have to tip other people because they deserve more than I did for some arbitrary reason.

yeah that’s also part of why i’m annoyed i think. not that i want to drag servers down to minimum wage, i think everyone should get paid a wage that you won’t have to supplement with welfare just to get by.

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Joined  2010-06-14

how things work: walmart underpays employees, employees need extra money from taxpayers, walmart makes amazing profits

how things should work: walmart pays employees a reasonable wage, employees don’t need to leech off taxpayers, walmart makes good but not amazing profits

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:01 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
King of the Forum Gods
Total Posts:  5805
Joined  2007-10-30
hot - 07 February 2013 12:46 AM

how things work: walmart underpays employees, employees need extra money from taxpayers, walmart makes amazing profits

how things should work: walmart pays employees a reasonable wage, employees don’t need to leech off taxpayers, walmart makes good but not amazing profits

IMO a big part of the problem and what makes low-level retail jobs hard to get by on is the way most companies keep their employees working part-time.

For most employers in the us that do things related to manufacturing they can have more concrete schedules where they get their workers a something steady where they usually work 40 hours a week and they benefit because there’s more specialization/skills in the job for workers to learn. As opposed to service-based jobs where it’s a lot more profitable to keep everyone part time and avoid paying benefits.

Service-based economies, tsk-tsk-tsk. I think I’m starting to ramble.

Signature 

YOU ARE A HUGE PSYCHIC SLUTWAVE MANTIS WITH DAY-GLO POWER SCYTHES

Posted: 07 February 2013 04:29 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  2711
Joined  2012-03-14
hot - 07 February 2013 12:46 AM

Woah there, i just pretend i’ve overheard that “leech” part, if you want leeches look at your CEOs and high management. I’ve heard that the Family owning Wal Mart has as much wealth as the lower 30% to 40% oft the US population combined, and that’s why you shouldn’t go to Wal Mart, here we didn’t go there so they left our country. smile I’m not sure if the numbers are correct, but i think it’s clear that they abuse their workers, while they are in a position where they could pay them reasonable amounts for their work. As a consumer you should boycott companies like that when ever you can.

Signature 

Dead cat

Posted: 07 February 2013 04:50 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2010-06-14

but it’s hard for consumers to not go to walmart, because their stuff is so cheap. boycotts ain’t gonna do crap. you need to put pressure on government to raise minimum wage.

Posted: 07 February 2013 05:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  2711
Joined  2012-03-14

And why can the offer it so cheap? Because they can buy/make gigantic quantities because everyone goes to Wal Mart. Yes, raised minimum wages would be the ideal though.

Aside from the fundamental debate: Personally, i do like tipping as a way to say “thanks, i appreciated your service”.

Signature 

Dead cat

Posted: 07 February 2013 08:32 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  4259
Joined  2008-01-05

Unless the service is just terrible, or the restaurant is small and run by the owner, then I usually tip 15 to 20 percent. Only because I know how servers rely on tips for a lot of their income. I don’t like the system that’s in place, but since it will exist regardless of my feelings towards it, i tip to help out the server.

Signature 

Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.

XBL gamer tag: zeeman645

Add me on Steam: zeeman645

I did not keep my promise of always being here. I have failed you all. i am sorry. that is all.

Posted: 08 February 2013 03:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2010-06-14

“Nobody in Illinois should work 40 hours a week and live in poverty. That’s a principle as old as the Bible.”

i like that line

Posted: 08 February 2013 04:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  10303
Joined  2009-06-04
hot - 08 February 2013 03:01 PM

“Nobody in Illinois should work 40 hours a week and live in poverty. That’s a principle as old as the Bible.”

i like that line

Too bad he’s not gonna do %#$@&! about it. That’s how politics work here. Half the politicians are corrupt and the others can’t do anything without being blocked by the corrupt ones.

Signature 

I’ll take your insurance… and your cocaine!
                                          - Dr. Tracksuit

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

5 of 5