Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: Machinarium
Posted: 09 August 2012 03:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2012-03-13

G’day everybody

Following on from Gemini Rue, we’ve settled on Machinarium, a beautiful point-and-click adventure from Amanita Design as or our second community run Game Club game!

Starting Saturday 11th August, we’ll be playing through Machinarium a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don’t like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net. The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

We’re done with Machinarium for the moment, but feel free to discuss the game in here. Next week we’ll be moving onto our next game at the regular time of 12:00pn noon PDT (click for your timezone).

11th August: Start of game (stream) and general discussion (log).
18th August: Finish game (stream) and general discussion (log).
25th August: The Secret of Monkey Island!

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

Machinarium-cover_art.png

Synopsis:
Josef is a discarded robot who has been exiled to a scrap heap, and must find his way back into the city to rescue his robot girlfriend and defeat the bad guys from the Black Cap Brotherhood.

Where to buy online:
Purchase directly from Amanita (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
Purchase from GOG (Windows)
Purchase from Steam (Windows, MacOS)
Purchase from Desura (Windows, MacOS, Linux)

Free Bonus Music Tracks (not included in the game’s soundtrack - thanks to yama for highlighting these)

———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:
IRC Server:  irc.foonetic.net
Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 09 August 2012 04:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

For anybody who’s interested in doing a stream (or just likes it), here’s the Game Club logo image thingy I’d made for our playthrough of Gemini Rue with appropriate text. I was going to upload a bigger version, but the forum attachment policy is a lot more restrictive than I was expecting >_<

Image Attachments
gameclub_machinarium.jpg
 Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 09 August 2012 09:18 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2012-03-23

Glad to finally read one of these threads before the Game Club was over. raspberry Already played through this once before, but I can’t wait to do it again.

Now to just go back through through every past game club game…

Posted: 09 August 2012 12:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2012-02-14

Thank you DFRemo for including it in your update list. I owe you.

Posted: 10 August 2012 08:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-06-27

Such a wonderful game.  Just finished it with my 7 year old.  We had a BLAST!  :D

Signature 

GAME ON!
John T>

Visit my RPG and anime blog Kingbeast’s Lair.

Posted: 11 August 2012 10:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Since nobody’s volunteered to assist with streaming, I stayed up all night and managed to get stuff up and happening. It’s been a while since I played Machinarium though, so I suspect I’ll make for a rusty Josef :b

Edit: Stream will be going live here in about half an hour ^_^

Signature 

Posted: 11 August 2012 11:58 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Dr. Action Poster, Esq.
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-04-05

*bumping for the sake of bumpness*

Join in on the stream now or play alongside us~

Signature 

Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.™
Join us on IRC: #dfadventure@irc.foonetic.net [Web IRC client]

Posted: 17 August 2012 01:06 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-08-04

This game is totally gorgeous.  I missed last week’s stream because I was busy getting sick, but I’ll hopefully make it this week.
(Also: Yay! I’m finally on the forums!)

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Going live now :D

Edit: And we’re done! What a great game :D

We didn’t get much discussion of the game happening in IRC, so it’d be nice to continue here even though we’ll be moving onto our next game next week (stay tuned for a link!).

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2012 05:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Next week we’ll be playing The Secret of Monkey Island! Woo!

One of the things that leitu raised in IRC a while back was Machinarium’s you-must-be-near-things-to-interact-with-them mechanic. Whilst I really like the idea, it does make the game fairly awkward. I didn’t notice it so much on my first playthrough, but when doing the stream, I found it to be a bit frustrating.

The artwork and animation in this game never ceases to impress me, and the audio is fantastic.

I really enjoyed having a good range of logic puzzles, though there were a few in there that I discovered the solution for by accident through trial and error (the controls on the exterior elevator for example) rather through any intuition, hint or logical reasoning.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 03:23 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
devilson - 05 September 2012 02:37 AM

Yeah i played the DF Game Club: Machinarium but i’m not satisfied because i like to play the fighting games.

Is this spam? It smells like spam.

Our current lineup of games to play only features adventure games. If we ever did branch out into other genres, I think it wouldn’t happen in the immediate future.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 04:59 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2012-02-13

Blech that spam smells rotten!

Signature 

I’m just a Laughing Buddha, baby.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!