Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: The Secret of Monkey Island!
Posted: 18 August 2012 05:38 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  999
Joined  2012-03-13

G’day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play two or three hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 25th August, we’ll be playing through The Secret of Monkey Island a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don’t like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net. The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Following on from Machinarium, we’ve worked out a schedule for our next three or four games, starting with The Secret of Monkey Island, one of the most recognised and revered adventure games of all time (and one which has a special connection to Double Fine in that Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer both worked on it)!

Syd (one of the admins of the DFA Backer group on Steam) has volunteered to stream the game for us (link coming soon) at the regular time of 12:00pm noon PDT (click for your timezone). Syd will be streaming a special version of the game that makes use of the original graphics, music from the CD version, and voices from the Special Edition. This is made possible using a tool you can find here.

25th August: Start of game (Stream 1 and 1.5) and general discussion (log).
1st September: Second game session (Stream 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6) and discussion (log).
8th September: Third game session (Stream 3) and discussion ( log).
15th September: Easter egg hunt.
22nd September: Next game: The Journey Down!

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg

Synopsis:
Guybrush Threepwood arrives on Mêlée Island with hopes of becoming a true pirate in a humorous point and click adventure from LucasArts’ classic era.

Where to buy online (Special Edition only):
Purchase from Steam (Windows)
Purchase from Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox)
Purchase from iTines Store (iPhone)

Please note that the original version(s) of The Secret of Monkey Island are no longer available. The original artwork and interface is available in the Special Edition by switching to “classic mode”.

For anybody who already owns a copy of (one of) the original version(s), The Secret of Monkey Island can be played on a wide variety of modern systems using ScummVM (this requires the original game files from the CD, DOS floppy or Amiga versions).

———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:
IRC Server:  irc.foonetic.net
Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 18 August 2012 06:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

And here’s the game club title card thingy (or a more higher res version).

Image Attachments
gameclub_monkey1.jpg
 Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1388
Joined  2012-03-12

The version I’m considering streaming is a bit of of Frankenstein copy of The Secret of Monkey Island built using the special edition, made using a tool found here. Aside from a few minor scripting tweaks and the addition of some added ambient background sounds and sound effects from the SE, it looks, sounds, and plays like the original game (I have it set to use the music from the CD version), but includes the voice acting from the special edition. I personally find this to be pretty awesome since I’m a fan of the voice talent for the main cast, but I also prefer the art and UI of the original over the SE. There’s still a few known issues with it, so it’s not perfect, but I love it.

I still may end up just streaming the original CD version or the SE version instead, though. I haven’t quite decided yet.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: The Maker’s Eden, Act 1
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 20 August 2012 03:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2010-07-20

I like this game.

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:38 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  853
Joined  2012-03-23
Cheeseness - 18 August 2012 06:31 PM

I think it would be cool if someone will be willing to draw 2HB as pirates, or maybe one head LeChuck and the other Guybrush.

Signature 

Adventure games are not dead, they are merely resting.

Posted: 21 August 2012 01:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-03-13
gsm - 20 August 2012 09:38 PM

I think it would be cool if someone will be willing to draw 2HB as pirates, or maybe one head LeChuck and the other Guybrush.

You know, it was my plan to do a themed version for each game we played, but I didn’t have a lot of free time when we were playing Gemini Rue, and I have even less now. I’m happy to throw my source SVG out there if anybody’s keen to have a play though.

Signature 

Posted: 21 August 2012 11:53 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-03-12
gsm - 20 August 2012 09:38 PM

I had that idea as well. I thought of simply adding an eyepatch and a hook to the 2HB, perhaps a pirate hat for the non-eyepatched head as well, but I ended up just leaving it alone.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 21 August 2012 07:43 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-03-25

One of my favorite games of all time! Can’t wait ^_^

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:49 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up: Due to my sister and niece visiting, I might not be able to stream for the game club this Saturday. I’m still going to try to stream, but I won’t know for sure if I’ll be free to until Saturday.

Edit: I may end up pre-recording a session that can be watched in the event that I can’t make it, but I’m fairly certain that I’ll be able to make it to the event and stream live as originally planned.

Double edit: I’ve pre-recorded the session. Unfortunately I momentarily lost my internet connection about an hour in, but only lost about 30-45 seconds of gameplay, none of which was anything particularly important, so the session is in two parts.

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2012 12:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

Syd’s stream, which covers part 1 of the game can be found here (with the last 20 minutes here due to an internet outage)

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be beginning soon, and I’ll be streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/sydeon

Be sure to join in the IRC chat which can be found in the original post above.

Edit: Sorry that my internet went out a few times during the stream. It shouldn’t be an issue next week.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  809
Joined  2008-01-10

I keep missing these. Did MI wrap up with the last session?

Posted: 03 September 2012 03:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-03-12
VicOfAges - 03 September 2012 02:23 PM

We’ve got one more to go. I left off at the part where I got the oars for the rowboat.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:18 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-03-13
VicOfAges - 03 September 2012 02:23 PM

We’ve got another weekend (or two if we do an easter egg hunt) left in Monkey Island 1 smile

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2012 07:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

I’ve updated the first post with links to the chat log and video streams. Sorry for being so late with that stuff, and thanks to everybody for being patient with Syd’s net troubles ^_^

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  886
Joined  2012-03-24

This game pretty much always tops my list of all time favorite games.

Smiles

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3