Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
2 of 3
DF Game Club: The Secret of Monkey Island!
Posted: 06 September 2012 09:18 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Double Action Newbie
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-03-12

FYI, in prep for Sept 22: I see there is an indie bundle including The Journey Down:  http://indiebundle.org

Posted: 06 September 2012 03:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  1266
Joined  2012-03-13
smallman - 06 September 2012 09:18 AM

FYI, in prep for Sept 22: I see there is an indie bundle including The Journey Down:  http://indiebundle.org

The SkyGoblin guys have also given me a few Desura keys to hand out (not sure how we’re going to work that yet, but we’ll find a way to hand them out :D )

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 06 September 2012 11:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-23

Hey, I didn’t know about that talkie version generator for Monkey Island ! Great stuff, I’ll have to try it tonight, thanks !

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:14 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3506
Joined  2012-03-12

Apparently it’s $10 for Steam keys for Shadows on the Vatican Act 1: Greed, The Journey Down and Metal Dead. However none of those games are on Steam, so how does that work?

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:45 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1449
Joined  2012-03-12
sebarnolds - 06 September 2012 11:05 PM

Hey, I didn’t know about that talkie version generator for Monkey Island ! Great stuff, I’ll have to try it tonight, thanks !

It’s pretty cool. I decided to use that version for the stream because I thought it was a nice blend of old and new.

As for streaming this weekend, I’m not entirely sure how well it’ll work out. My internet still seems just as schizophrenic as it was last time. Sometimes it’s fine and stays stable for hours on end, sometimes it can barely keep a connection. It seems to be better in the evening and late at night, but unfortunately the game club is mid-afternoon for me, which is when the connection has had a tendency to be at its worst.

We’ll see what happens, I suppose. I’ll power-cycle my modem before the game club begins, maybe that’ll help.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Jazzpunk
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:48 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-23
flesk - 07 September 2012 12:14 AM

Apparently it’s $10 for Steam keys for Shadows on the Vatican Act 1: Greed, The Journey Down and Metal Dead. However none of those games are on Steam, so how does that work?

No, you didn’t read correctly: it is 5$ for those games on Desura.

The site works like this: 5$ for Desura bundles or 10$ for Steam bundles.

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:54 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  3506
Joined  2012-03-12
sebarnolds - 07 September 2012 12:48 AM
flesk - 07 September 2012 12:14 AM

No, you didn’t read correctly: it is 5$ for those games on Desura.

The site works like this: 5$ for Desura bundles or 10$ for Steam bundles.

Ah, I didn’t read the text under the pictures. I just read the “How It Works” on the right and took it to mean that I had a choice between a $5 Desura and a $10 Steam bundle for any available bundle.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

Sorry about that false alarm in the Steam group! The event doesn’t start for another 3 hours.

In other news, my internet has been nice and stable today. I’m pretty optimistic that this stream will go much better than the last one.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 08 September 2012 11:56 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

I hate to post twice in a row, but since Cheeseness won’t be making it I’m going to have to be the one to bump the thread. We’ll be starting in about 5 minutes. The stream will be over here: http://www.twitch.tv/sydeon

If you have a comment about the stream or want to talk with the rest of us about Monkey Island, please go to the IRC chat that’s at the bottom of the original post in this thread. I currently have no way of watching the stream’s chat, so anything said over there will fall on deaf ears, but I will be in the IRC chat.

Edit: And that’s that! The game has been completed, though it ended a bit sooner than I thought it would. I’ll make sure that the video from it gets saved, and I’ll see if I can whip something up for next week if we extend it. Perhaps a bit of an easter egg hunt?

Here’s an archived video of the finale: http://www.twitch.tv/sydeon/b/331507549

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 06:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Alrighty, first post is updated!

Apologies for not being able to make it. I was pretty totalled after attending a conference and holding a stall at a convention all with very little sleep. I still got up at 4:00am to make a tweet though ^_^

As Syd says, we’re looking at streaming an easter egg hunt or something a backdrop for one final SoMI session. This will give anybody still playing an opportunity to catch up, and it’ll hopefully give us all a chance to come together one last time to talk about how awesome Monkey Island is, before we make a start on the next game :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-05-11

Hey, wow, I just learned about the game club… I’m already playing TJD right now!  I got mine for seven bucks on Desura.  Really enjoying it so far… it’s a pretty game, and the voice acting is fun.

Who’s streaming the hunt today, Cheese or Syd?

Posted: 15 September 2012 06:24 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Mr. Jaggers - 15 September 2012 02:15 AM

Hey, wow, I just learned about the game club… I’m already playing TJD right now!  I got mine for seven bucks on Desura.  Really enjoying it so far… it’s a pretty game, and the voice acting is fun.

Syd’s looking after the stream smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 08:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2012-03-12
Cheeseness - 15 September 2012 06:24 AM
Mr. Jaggers - 15 September 2012 02:15 AM

Syd’s looking after the stream smile

Yeah, about that…

I’m not going to be able to make it to the game club today because I have to go visit my sister in the hospital today (she went into labor two weeks earlier than expected and gave birth to her daughter last night. I have to leave to visit her about an hour before the game club starts).

I feel bad about missing it because I was set to stream the easter egg/hidden joke hunt and I feel like I’m letting the game club down, but there isn’t really anything I can do about this situation.

Once again, I’m really sorry I can’t stream today. I hope the game club can still go on as scheduled.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 12:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
The Smell of Cinnamon Rolls
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-03-13
Syd - 15 September 2012 08:46 AM

I feel bad about missing it because I was set to stream the easter egg/hidden joke hunt and I feel like I’m letting the game club down, but there isn’t really anything I can do about this situation.

Don’t be silly, things happen and it’s not your fault. Too bad we didn’t have a fallback plan though, maybe we should in the future, eh?

Signature 

Join us on IRC: #dfadventure @ irc.foonetic.net
Or use the web based chat client embedded on The Double Fine Game Club homepage

Posted: 15 September 2012 12:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Alrighty! Not to worry.

Game Club is meant to be about the discussion, right? The stream’s only a way to focus that and let people who don’t have the game still be involved.

Maybe during the week we can look at getting a stream up for completeness’ sake, but that’s not that critical ^_^

I’ve mentioned in IRC that it’d be good to have a couple of people lined up to stream a given game in case something like this happened, but for better or worse, we didn’t have anybody volunteer to help out with that for Monkey Island.

If anybody’s keen, we’ll still be discussing the game in IRC, and I’ll talk about how we’re going to get The Journey Down keys out in an hour or so smile

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

2 of 3