Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
Middle Manager of Justice Is Announced!
Posted: 30 August 2012 10:36 AM
  [ Ignore ]
Double Fine
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2011-10-19

We just went public with our latest game, Middle Manager of Justice. Now that we can finally talk about the game, you can too! Post any comments or questions you have about the game here!

You can read more about MMoJ on Kotaku or Touch Arcade.

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:37 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  539
Joined  2012-02-12

Hurray, looks great!

...will there be an Android version?

Edit: also, what this guy said:

Steve2911 - 30 August 2012 10:47 AM

I really like the concept, but I’m not too keen on the iOS F2P models. They tend to be pretty predatory, especially with progression based games (such as this). I don’t think DF would use any unethical tactics, but I’m not familiar with this publisher or what they might do with it, so I’m wary.

Still, if it gets to Android or PC I’ll give it a go. As I said, the concept’s a really original and funny one.

[ Edited: 30 August 2012 10:59 AM by Aristotlol ]
 Signature 

Veni, vidi, exii.

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:45 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2012-03-28

Dammit. This looks great.

There better be an Android version or even 3DS/Vita/Whatever version.

Please don’t make me buy an iPhone.  angry

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:47 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2012-03-13

I really like the concept, but I’m not too keen on the iOS F2P models. They tend to be pretty predatory, especially with progression based games (such as this). I don’t think DF would use any unethical tactics, but I’m not familiar with this publisher or what they might do with it, so I’m wary.

Still, if it gets to Android or PC I’ll give it a go. As I said, the concept’s a really original and funny one.

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:56 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Tim Schafer's Secret Lover
Total Posts:  19426
Joined  2007-08-30

Oh man I can’t wait to get my hands on this.

Signature 

Proud Super Hero

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:57 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  3515
Joined  2010-12-07

Yes, Android would be awseome

release date?

Signature 

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!!

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:09 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2012-08-28

Hi!  We’ve been VERY careful about any sort of predatory iOS IAP practices.  You can play through Middle Manager without paying anything!  There are absolutely no paywalls.  All that purchasing currency does is allow you to experience the content quicker and have stronger heroes earlier, but you can experience all the game at whichever pace you want!  We’ve sent the game to Touch Arcade to test http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/30/double-fine-unveils-middle-manager-of-justice-a-free-to-play-sim/  and hopefully their impression puts your fears to rest.

Also, this is our first mobile game and we want to focus on one platform for the launch.  But we definitely want the game on as many platforms as possible!

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:23 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  897
Joined  2011-12-11

Can’t wait to play it on my iPhone! I’m thinking of joining the Android tablet bandwagon so would love to see this released to that one day as well!

I imagine this game will be a great training tool for my own professional career! I’m a super hero myself, but have been considering hanging up the cape for more of an office job.

Signature 

Hiding in your basement since before you were born

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:30 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2012-03-13
DF Kee - 30 August 2012 11:09 AM

Hi!  We’ve been VERY careful about any sort of predatory iOS IAP practices.  You can play through Middle Manager without paying anything!  There are absolutely no paywalls.  All that purchasing currency does is allow you to experience the content quicker and have stronger heroes earlier, but you can experience all the game at whichever pace you want!  We’ve sent the game to Touch Arcade to test http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/30/double-fine-unveils-middle-manager-of-justice-a-free-to-play-sim/  and hopefully their impression puts your fears to rest.

Also, this is our first mobile game and we want to focus on one platform for the launch.  But we definitely want the game on as many platforms as possible!

Well that’s great news! Thanks for the reply, my interest is certainly piqued now.

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:30 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
JelDeRebel - 30 August 2012 10:57 AM

Yes, Android would be awseome

release date?

The game is in Apple submission currently.  After that, we are going to launch first in the Great White North (that’s what we call Canada right?  Or was it America’s hat?  I can’t recall) in the coming weeks, and hopefully world wide soon after that.  Super heroes need visas, passports, red tape, all that stuff.

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-08-09

Now double fine can be with me where ever I go, YAHOO!

Signature 

Check out my art! (please)

http://deverefro.deviantart.com/

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-12-07

well, a lot of games with secondary currency only have this currency obtainable by real world money, or very very limited in a game. Most of these games are boring and repetitive, their sole purpose is sucking money out of the consumer.

One can only hope this is different

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:37 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

I’m hoping the writing by Gabe Miller part means there’s story to this. Gots to have my narrative. Stoked that the release date is so close, though.

DF is the publisher as well, I take it?

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:38 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2011-12-11

It’s funny- I never realized that online downloads at Apple’s App Store were subject to timed releases as well. I figured that was only for localization stuff (languages, technical conversions, and what not). So how does the App Store know if I’m downloading from Canada or not?

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-10-13

I do love theme of the game. Awesome job there!  Did you guys and gals find it much different to develop f2p game than traditional game?

Signature 

- Nice forks. Where’d you get them?
- Right next to the knives and spoons.

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:48 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
VicOfAges - 30 August 2012 11:37 AM

I’m hoping the writing by Gabe Miller part means there’s story to this. Gots to have my narrative. Stoked that the release date is so close, though.

Oh for sure there’s a narrative!  You fight crime through several neighborhoods, and each neighborhood has it’s own thread.  Really hilarious.  Gabe has done an awesome job with it.

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:49 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Acefox - 30 August 2012 11:38 AM

It’s funny- I never realized that online downloads at Apple’s App Store were subject to timed releases as well. I figured that was only for localization stuff (languages, technical conversions, and what not). So how does the App Store know if I’m downloading from Canada or not?

I think you need a Canadian Itunes account.  What the requirements for one, I have no idea.

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:55 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-05-11

What devices are you supporting? I just have a 2nd gen iTouch :( (and a Kindle Fire)... any chance I’ll be able to play?

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:58 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-10-01
DF Nathan - 30 August 2012 10:36 AM

We just went public with our latest game, Middle Manager of Justice. Now that we can finally talk about the game, you can too! Post any comments or questions you have about the game here!

You can read more about MMoJ on Kotaku or Touch Arcade.

Hello all! I am also lurking here, and will answer any questions you may have about Dracogen’s involvement.

Posted: 30 August 2012 11:59 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2011-10-01
Scarecrow - 30 August 2012 10:56 AM

Oh man I can’t wait to get my hands on this.

It’s so amazing. You’re going to love it.

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2011-10-01
VicOfAges - 30 August 2012 11:37 AM

Absolutely! Double Fine’s relationship with Dracogen means that they are self-publishing this title. They are the developer and the publisher. It’s such a great place for them to be!

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2011-10-01
DF Kee - 30 August 2012 11:49 AM

I think you need a Canadian Itunes account.  What the requirements for one, I have no idea.

Yep, you need a Canadian iTunes account. But never fear, it should should be coming to the USA very soon.

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  539
Joined  2012-02-12
JelDeRebel - 30 August 2012 11:35 AM

well, a lot of games with secondary currency only have this currency obtainable by real world money, or very very limited in a game. Most of these games are boring and repetitive, their sole purpose is sucking money out of the consumer.

I love those Kairosoft games, though, they own me (almost) every time.

Signature 

Veni, vidi, exii.

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:11 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2010-07-31

You guys weren’t happy with forcing me to buy a Kinect. Now I have to buy an iphone. Great.

Signature 

My bowels hurt.

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:15 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2011-12-11
Dracogen - 30 August 2012 12:02 PM
DF Kee - 30 August 2012 11:49 AM

Yep, you need a Canadian iTunes account. But never fear, it should should be coming to the USA very soon.

Thanks for the info! I can wait for the US release- was just curious. I suppose having a US credit card linked to iTunes also helps it know.
Guess I can’t just say “Download, eh” to fool it.

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-12-07
Aristotlol - 30 August 2012 12:07 PM
JelDeRebel - 30 August 2012 11:35 AM

I love those Kairosoft games, though, they own me (almost) every time.

Kairosoft games are awesome, becuase they don’t use payfor currencies. As much as I loved a few kairosoft games, they’re too similiar copypasta style games they got repetitive.

The fact that iOS can be jailbroken en Android rooted, makes that I’ve never paid a cent for any game. Nor are any of these games woth it, except maybe angry birds and game dev story

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3