Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
Jump start on Justice?!?!?
Posted: 05 September 2012 10:26 AM
  [ Ignore ]
Double Fine
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2012-08-28

Hey everyone,
  So, Middle Manager of Justice went live accidentally last night!  For those of you who jumped on it right away, you got an early preview for the game!  Please note that the game isn’t indicative of what it should be yet!  All the bugs will be ironed out, and there is much tuning to be done.  For those of you that have the game now, any feedback regarding the game is welcome and appreciated!  If you’ve already have purchased something in game, please note that it will still work when the game is updated.  You can keep playing if you wish, but you should really wait for the full release in the coming weeks.

[ Edited: 04 December 2012 02:29 PM by DF Justin ]

Posted: 05 September 2012 11:05 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-03-23

Any idea if save data will carry over to the final version?

Posted: 05 September 2012 11:07 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
mldesanctis - 05 September 2012 11:05 AM

Any idea if save data will carry over to the final version?

Yep, it definitely will.

Posted: 05 September 2012 12:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2008-07-29

That explains why I can’t find it then!

MMoJ is for ipod touch too right?

Signature 

Street passin brah

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-06-08

Bugs i’ve found, but that you probably already know about
The truck missions which don’t go anywhere, halting progress.
The graphics on the 3GS are really blurry, and the text is unreadable.
The stats for upgrading the first treadmill to level 2 says “INVALID LINECODE: % FASTER”.

What I can play I really like though, and it looks gorgeous on the iPad 3. At first I was confused wether it was a Kairosoft GameDev Story type game, or a Nimblebit TinyTowers type game. I think that’s because when I have the Middle Manager do Desk Work it says “increases profits”, so I thought every 10 minutes or so I’d get some money. Probably just me looking into it too much.

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28

Yes!  And that’s what we’re currently working on as well.  We are working on improving the textures on that device.  Which gen ipod touch?

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

Wish I’d checked in last night.

I’d love to contribute feedback/bugs.

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2012-06-08

When I’m picking superheros it would be nice if I could back out of it, just incase I clicked it accidentally.

I’ve also bought a couple of items accidently from stray swipes because it doesn’t say “Are you sure? Yes/No”. But having that could also be annoying so no biggie.

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Metzo_Paino - 05 September 2012 01:50 PM

When I’m picking superheros it would be nice if I could back out of it, just incase I clicked it accidentally.

I’ve also bought a couple of items accidently from stray swipes because it doesn’t say “Are you sure? Yes/No”. But having that could also be annoying so no biggie.

Ah, yeah.  The picking super hero thing.  Does the confirmation feel like it’s not enough?  And we currently don’t have confirmations for snacks, but do for all other items.  We could definitely fix that.

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2008-07-29
DF Kee - 05 September 2012 01:07 PM

Yes!  And that’s what we’re currently working on as well.  We are working on improving the textures on that device.  Which gen ipod touch?

I think it’s a gen 2.

Signature 

Street passin brah

Posted: 05 September 2012 02:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Metzo_Paino - 05 September 2012 01:06 PM

Bugs i’ve found, but that you probably already know about
The truck missions which don’t go anywhere, halting progress.
The graphics on the 3GS are really blurry, and the text is unreadable.
The stats for upgrading the first treadmill to level 2 says “INVALID LINECODE: % FASTER”.

What I can play I really like though, and it looks gorgeous on the iPad 3. At first I was confused wether it was a Kairosoft GameDev Story type game, or a Nimblebit TinyTowers type game. I think that’s because when I have the Middle Manager do Desk Work it says “increases profits”, so I thought every 10 minutes or so I’d get some money. Probably just me looking into it too much.

Yeah, the truck missions we’re working on the fix right at this moment.  I mean I’m going to look into a fix right after I post this.
3GS does have super blurry graphics.  We are working on a fix for that.  And the text as well.
The invalid linecode bug is already fixed on our side.

I love the way the game looks on the IPad.  Hmm, and perhaps we should change the wording for the Desk Work.  It is a burst of money that the Middle Manager raises.

Posted: 05 September 2012 02:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Dr.ROBOTUSSIN - 05 September 2012 01:59 PM
DF Kee - 05 September 2012 01:07 PM

I think it’s a gen 2.

OH!  Hmm, I’ll have to look into that device’s spec.

Posted: 05 September 2012 02:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-23

I tried downloading it this morning (while it was still available) and much to my dismay I got the popup saying I needed iOS 5 (currently running on 4.3.5)

Any chance you are going to make it support this version of iOS as well?

Would be much appreciated

-Fellow iOS Dev

Posted: 05 September 2012 03:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-03-23

It seems to be running super hot on a iPhone 4S 5.1.1.  Are you running background tasks? It seems to stay hot, even when I am not using my phone - until I force quit the app.

It would be really, really (really) nice if you could get this up on iCloud (really).  It would be (really) great if I could switch back and forth between my iPhone and iPad, but more importantly, backing up my saves would give me more confidence in spending real money in the store.  I do not want to drop $20 bucks on this and then lose my progress when the iPhone 5 comes out.

The action buttons during missions are a tad too small for me.  Are you following the iOS Human Interface Guidelines **squint**?

You also should disable the auto timer.  If I have a bunch of actions going on at the same time and I look away for a minute, my iPhone locks.

The icon in GameCenter is not appearing as pre rendered (it’s adding the sheen).

Maybe a few more Leaderboards too? Most Desk Work? Most time resting? Maybe an efficiency rating (idle time not training or fighting crime vs total time played)?

Posted: 05 September 2012 04:15 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-06-08
DF Kee - 05 September 2012 02:16 PM

Yeah, the truck missions we’re working on the fix right at this moment.  I mean I’m going to look into a fix right after I post this.
3GS does have super blurry graphics.  We are working on a fix for that.  And the text as well.
The invalid linecode bug is already fixed on our side.

I love the way the game looks on the IPad.  Hmm, and perhaps we should change the wording for the Desk Work.  It is a burst of money that the Middle Manager raises.

iCloud support would be really nice. Might be why they require iOS5.

If 100 or so gold isn’t a big deal then maybe you don’t need the confirmation box for items, it might have just been my careless taping. Though that was on an iPad, on iPhone it may be a bigger issue.

In regards to the superhero picker, I meant once you’re in the screen that shows the three heros available you can’t get out of it. That could be annoying as the heros seem randomly chosen and I might want a specific one? I guess you could have all the heros available and swipe side to side to move the one you want to the centre. Like a carousel?

Sorry, both those things are really nitpicky. I remember when my iOS game TEETHING, (shameless plug), was two weeks from launch, I had much bigger issues on my mind, as I imagine you do. I think Middle Manager of Justice is going to be really great.

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-03-23

Snagging this early was about the only good thing about getting up at 6am this morning. Enjoying the game so far. Played through the first boss fight, seemed to drain my battery rather quickly. The one thing it could have been was that I tried an IAP (for the photocopy machine). It did not give the confirmation, but was apparently running in the background. When I closed the game, then the confirmation popped up. Will post back later. By the way, very funny writing as usual. I loved the creative accounting description and the hero resume was funny. Thanks!

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-26

Got to grab this earlier today and it ruined my productivity. It’s been a lot of fun, what I have been able to play and I’ll assume my complaint of feeling like I’m almost finished with the content is due to an early build. I do have a few comments that might improve things though:

- I feel like Desk Work should be a toggle, my middle manager is practically always not doing anything now and would be great to just have him always doing desk work, or at least greatly increase the duration of it. Most of the time I find myself starting his desk work and he’s done before I’ve done practically anything. Also since you can easily break out of it, I think it would be good to just start it when necessary.
- I think it would be good to have little person icons for each hero + MM up at the top of the screen for easy person selection.
- Descriptions aren’t readily available enough. For example the only place you can find out the hero’s ability descriptions is through training selection. Also when selecting new rooms to build I didn’t realize the training room was different from the other workout room.
- When selecting missions it would probably be good to not auto select a single hero. I had several instances of accidentally starting a difficult mission with a single hero because I failed to notice that I needed to select heroes.
- It would be nice to be able to have faster access to the work options, the selecting a person then selecting work then selecting an option seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Perhaps having the Work options as more of a toggle instead of a pop over menu so if you open it once, it will be open every time you open a character until you toggle it closed. 

As already stated, I think the game is great and I can’t wait to see the final version!

Posted: 06 September 2012 02:25 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2009-10-13
Gleeble - 05 September 2012 06:28 PM

Got to grab this earlier today and it ruined my productivity. It’s been a lot of fun, what I have been able to play and I’ll assume my complaint of feeling like I’m almost finished with the content is due to an early build. I do have a few comments that might improve things though:

- I feel like Desk Work should be a toggle, my middle manager is practically always not doing anything now

sounds like a pretty accurate simulation to me!

Zing!!!!11

Signature 

Sometimes I make games: http://www.surprisedman.co.uk
Personal site/Music Portfolio, etc: http://www.kestrelpi.co.uk
Twitter, Steam, Xbox Live, etc: KestrelPi

Posted: 06 September 2012 02:32 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-23

Really enjoying the game so far. Been pleasantly surprised that it’s not being obnoxious about IAP, so thanks for that. (I’d have happily bought the game after all and will at least buy some superium after the update as thanks)

-It’s difficult to select heroes, particularly Surge Protector for some reason. I’d like to be able use the Hero menu to select them as that seems to be a wholely pointless menu otherwise.
-I’d prefer if the hero selection prior to starting a mission would auto-load my previous character loadout. Having to select them all each time seems needlessly tedious. Accidentally starting a mission with just one hero is even worse.
-I think rescue missions should default to the hero with either the highest of the required stat or the lowest experienced among those who have 100% chance of completion.

I’ll let you guys worry about the bugs until after the update. Though the one that really bugs me is a layering issue in my office that has caused my heros to walk under walls since expanding the office space. (I’ll happily deal with it.)

Back to Justice! Cheers DF

Posted: 06 September 2012 08:53 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2012-03-26
mldesanctis - 05 September 2012 03:00 PM

It seems to be running super hot on a iPhone 4S 5.1.1.  Are you running background tasks? It seems to stay hot, even when I am not using my phone - until I force quit the app.

Enjoying the game so far; makes something to play while waiting for Reds. wink

I can confirm what’s said above about the phone running hot - my iPhone 4 was getting rather toasty too, and the game did seem to struggle at times (animation not that smooth).

Interesting concept though; picking a few of the suggestions in this thread (e.g. manager defaults to desk work rather than idling) would make it better still. grin

Posted: 06 September 2012 09:57 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
shaakes - 05 September 2012 05:16 PM

Snagging this early was about the only good thing about getting up at 6am this morning. Enjoying the game so far. Played through the first boss fight, seemed to drain my battery rather quickly. The one thing it could have been was that I tried an IAP (for the photocopy machine). It did not give the confirmation, but was apparently running in the background. When I closed the game, then the confirmation popped up. Will post back later. By the way, very funny writing as usual. I loved the creative accounting description and the hero resume was funny. Thanks!

I’ve been hearing more about the battery drain thing.  We need to track down what’s going on.  Glad you’re enjoying the game!!!!

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:04 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Gleeble - 05 September 2012 06:28 PM

- I feel like Desk Work should be a toggle, my middle manager is practically always not doing anything now and would be great to just have him always doing desk work, or at least greatly increase the duration of it. Most of the time I find myself starting his desk work and he’s done before I’ve done practically anything. Also since you can easily break out of it, I think it would be good to just start it when necessary.
- I think it would be good to have little person icons for each hero + MM up at the top of the screen for easy person selection.
- Descriptions aren’t readily available enough. For example the only place you can find out the hero’s ability descriptions is through training selection. Also when selecting new rooms to build I didn’t realize the training room was different from the other workout room.
- When selecting missions it would probably be good to not auto select a single hero. I had several instances of accidentally starting a difficult mission with a single hero because I failed to notice that I needed to select heroes.
- It would be nice to be able to have faster access to the work options, the selecting a person then selecting work then selecting an option seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Perhaps having the Work options as more of a toggle instead of a pop over menu so if you open it once, it will be open every time you open a character until you toggle it closed. 

As already stated, I think the game is great and I can’t wait to see the final version!

Thanks for playing!  re: content, you have 8 neighborhoods to fight through, but after that, you still continue to fight crime to level up your existing heroes and your base.  We will also continue pushing out additional neighborhood fight content post launch.  We hope to continue to support the game with new heroes and new villains to fight! 

- We’re thinking about using the roster screen as the selection ui.
- Oh, interesting.  Was the text in the new room screen not descriptive enough?
- Yeah, we’re going to have the game remember which heroes you selected from the last fight.
- Oh hmm.  I suppose that could be opened by default…...hmm…

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:07 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Korbei83 - 06 September 2012 02:32 AM

Really enjoying the game so far. Been pleasantly surprised that it’s not being obnoxious about IAP, so thanks for that. (I’d have happily bought the game after all and will at least buy some superium after the update as thanks)

-It’s difficult to select heroes, particularly Surge Protector for some reason. I’d like to be able use the Hero menu to select them as that seems to be a wholely pointless menu otherwise.
-I’d prefer if the hero selection prior to starting a mission would auto-load my previous character loadout. Having to select them all each time seems needlessly tedious. Accidentally starting a mission with just one hero is even worse.
-I think rescue missions should default to the hero with either the highest of the required stat or the lowest experienced among those who have 100% chance of completion.

I’ll let you guys worry about the bugs until after the update. Though the one that really bugs me is a layering issue in my office that has caused my heros to walk under walls since expanding the office space. (I’ll happily deal with it.)

Back to Justice! Cheers DF

Thanks!  We tried to make the IAP not so in your face.  Thank you for your support!
- Yeah, surge protector is the worst for that cause she is tiny.  We have plans to make this better.
- Yep!  This is happening.
- Huh, interesting.  I’ve also thought about not having it autoselect so that you can feel empowered to make the selection yourself.  Will try that out and see how it plays.
- The sorting issues will be fixed

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:09 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
arafel - 06 September 2012 08:53 AM
mldesanctis - 05 September 2012 03:00 PM

Enjoying the game so far; makes something to play while waiting for Reds. wink

I can confirm what’s said above about the phone running hot - my iPhone 4 was getting rather toasty too, and the game did seem to struggle at times (animation not that smooth).

Interesting concept though; picking a few of the suggestions in this thread (e.g. manager defaults to desk work rather than idling) would make it better still. grin

Thanks for playing!  Wow, I just haven’t noticed my phone heating up while playing.  Ok, need to stop testing with oven mitts on jkjkjkjkjkjk.

Posted: 06 September 2012 11:58 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-05

So I spent an entire day playing this game. It’s a really fun time killer.

One thing I noticed, though, is that it’s really hard to scroll through the hero select screen when you have more than four heroes without accidentally selecting and deselecting heroes, which makes them stop their current tasks even if they’re reselected before I exit the screen.

Also, are you interested in hearing the little bugs I found? I know you have your own testers and are probably aware of the issues since it was an accidental release, but I don’t mind making a list of the ones I found.

Posted: 06 September 2012 01:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-08-28
Necrofamicom - 06 September 2012 11:58 AM

So I spent an entire day playing this game. It’s a really fun time killer.

One thing I noticed, though, is that it’s really hard to scroll through the hero select screen when you have more than four heroes without accidentally selecting and deselecting heroes, which makes them stop their current tasks even if they’re reselected before I exit the screen.

Also, are you interested in hearing the little bugs I found? I know you have your own testers and are probably aware of the issues since it was an accidental release, but I don’t mind making a list of the ones I found.

Yeah, the roster scrolling should be fixed soon as well.  And of course, PM me the buglist!  Thank you!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3