Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: The Journey Down
Posted: 15 September 2012 01:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1102
Joined  2012-03-13

G’day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play two or three hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 22nd September, we’ll be playing through Chapter 1 of The Journey Down a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don’t like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net (if you’re not sure, just click this link to access webchat from our stream page). The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Following on from The Secret Of Monkey Island, we’ll be playing The Journey Down, an episodic point-and-click adventure game by SkyGoblin! We’ll have a stream running at the regular time of Saturday 12:00pm noon PDT (click for your timezone).

The awesome guys at SkyGoblin have given us 10 Desura keys to give away, and are keen to do a dev chat session with us. We’ll be giving those keys away here in this thread in batches during the week leading up to our first session of The Journey Down, so keep an eye out! Update: All the keys have been claimed. Congratulations to those who nabbed them!

22nd September, 12:00pm noon PDT (click for your timezone): Start of game (Stream 1) and general discussion/dev chat (log)
29nd September, 12:00pm noon PDT (click for your timezone): Final game session (Stream 2) and general discussion/dev chat (log)

Next game: Beneath A Steel Sky

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

256px-The_Journey_Down_cover.png

Synopsis:
In a shady corner of Kingsport Bay, at the outskirts of St Armando, Bwana and his trusted sidekick Kito struggle to make ends meet at their run-down gas station. Little do they know that they are about to be thrown into a spine-tingling adventure that will take them far from home and right into a twisting plot of corruption and danger. In the first chapter of The Journey Down, the search for a lost journal leads to forgotten secrets of the mysterious Underland. Follow Bwana and Kito as they puzzle their way forward and begin to uncover the true fate of their long lost father, Captain Kaonandodo.

Note that this is the first part of an ongoing series of episodic games. Chapter 2 is currently in-development and we will likely be returning to The Journey Down to continue the story in the future.

Where to buy online:
Desura (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
GamersGate (Windows, MacOS)
MacGameStore (MacOS)
Zodiac (Windows)
Green Man Gaming (Windows)
GameTree Mac (MacOS)
CDON (Windows, MacOS)
Nuuvem (Windows)
ShopTo (Windows)
Webbhallen (Windows)
MediaNow (Windows, MacOS)
Spaceworld (Windows, MacOS)
GRY-Online (Windows)
NextGenTel (Windows, MacOS)
Ubuntu Software Centre (Linux)
Indievania (Windows)
Little Indie (Windows)
Mac App Store (MacOS)
Games Rocket (Windows, MacOS)
(wow,that’s a lot of places)

There’s also a free, non-talkie old-school pixelated version which you can find on the official website.
———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:
IRC Server:  irc.foonetic.net
Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

And here’s the game club title card thingy (more bigger version)

Image Attachments
gameclub_tjd.jpg
 Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 16 September 2012 02:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

As promised, here are the first set of The Journey Down keys we’ve been given!

These are redeemable for DRM free versions for Windows, MacOS and Linux from the following URL (if you don’t already have one, you’ll need a free Desura account): https://secure.desura.com/cart/gifts/activate

XRTXG-9X7PM-UXSQ0-F0WNL-M29V9
YTMD6-84UL9-R5KTM-COTUQ-DWC43
R8LAI-1L64U-AFRCE-DRPPA-CS9E2

If you claim a key, please comment to indicate it’s been taken, and if you already own the game, “Remember, there are other pirates on this island. SO GO EASY ON THE TREASURE. Leave some for the next person.”

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2012 04:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1436
Joined  2012-03-12

I got the first key listed. :D

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Stacking (with special guest Lee Petty)
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 16 September 2012 04:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2012-03-29

Thanks, gotten the second key smile

Posted: 18 September 2012 03:18 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Next set of The Journey Down keys!

These are redeemable for DRM free versions for Windows, MacOS and Linux from the following URL (if you don’t already have one, you’ll need a free Desura account): https://secure.desura.com/cart/gifts/activate

VWCB9-3RUQT-LXD88-1IJX4-IFGAC
PFDDJ-7JF73-YG5BL-4D2WN-31MGL
GZ3RQ-61WC8-AHYO2-PEVLP-6HP4R

If you claim a key, please comment to indicate it’s been taken, and if you already own the game, “Remember, there are other pirates on this island. SO GO EASY ON THE TREASURE. Leave some for the next person.”

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 03:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-03-25

Got the first key! Thank you.

Posted: 18 September 2012 03:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-26

Grabbed the third key.  Thanks!

Posted: 18 September 2012 03:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-03-23

Grabbed the second key. Thanks!

Posted: 18 September 2012 03:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

That was fast :D

Nobody’s mentioned that they’ve taken the second key from the first batch. If there’s anybody who’s missed out, feel free to try it ^_^

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 05:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-24

All keys posted so far gone. When are the next ones going up?
Also, how long does the play through go for? Starts 5am (in Melbourne)...

Posted: 18 September 2012 06:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1436
Joined  2012-03-12
registradus - 18 September 2012 05:54 PM

Also, how long does the play through go for? Starts 5am (in Melbourne)...

The stream is generally one to two hours long. The chat sometimes continues for a while after that.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Stacking (with special guest Lee Petty)
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 19 September 2012 12:21 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-05-11

Awesome!  I’m ready!

What a coincidence… I just got this game before the Broken Sword 5 Kickstarter project started, and made it most of the way through (but haven’t finished).  Then, after BS5 launched, I started replaying BASS, getting all nostalgic about Revolution Software… it’s like the DF Game Club is stalking my gaming lifegulp

Posted: 19 September 2012 02:21 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
registradus - 18 September 2012 05:54 PM

Looking to put up another set of keys in about 36 hours smile

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2012 01:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-09-16

Hey guys just thought I should quickly introduce myself and the game.

I’m Theodor Waern, artist, author and producer behind “The Journey Down”. I’m part of a small, independent, Sweden based game studio named SkyGoblin. The game was produced by two artists, two programmers, one musician, and a huge bunch of voice actors from all over the world. The majority of them working for free.

I was approached by cheeseness on Desura regarding taking a part in you guys playing the game, and I jumped at the opportunity. We are currently hard at work on Chapter Two of The Journey Down and we’re interested in as much feedback as possible on the first chapter, in our efforts to make the second part as great a game as possible.

We have received lots of feedback prior to this, but I’m hoping this DF game club thing will be a nice focused way of having a discussion with people who have a fresh experience with the game, and who also clearly have a passion for the genre.

Producing a good game when you’re on the crazy tight budget we are on, is sadly a lot about cutting corners. So knowing what to cut and what to polish is key to producing the most kickass experience possible.

Now, from a personal perspective, I know which parts of the production I’m proud of, and which parts I wish we could have made better. But I am very happy with the end result and really feel that we spent our time on the right stuff. However, I’m very eager to hear what YOU guys have to say about the whole thing, and the more comments and questions you guys shoot my way, the better the dialog and the more we will have learned to take with us on our continuing development of the series.

Here’s to hoping as many people as possible choose to join in on the DF play-through of Chapter one of The Journey Down!

If you’ve got questions, or just feel like ranting, I’ll be checking this thread out but will also (I hope) join in on the irc once you start gaming.

Thank you.

-theo

Posted: 20 September 2012 03:10 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

As promised, here’s today’s keys!

TBTIL-TADSQ-G5EBZ-CZM45-GM5NQ
WI91E-GXIIZ-VJAD5-WI5A4-OLRB7
LFXZU-H9VUM-D4BFU-VPLD8-JGNKV

(That’s a quote from The Secret Of Monkey Island for anybody who didn’t know)

Also, in case anyody missed it, theowaern, one of The Journey Down’s developers posted on the previous page and is very excited to hear what our thoughts are on the game smile

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3