Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
2 of 3
DF Game Club: The Journey Down
Posted: 20 September 2012 03:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-23

Thank you so much..I just snagged the first key and look forward to talking to people about it

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:15 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-04-26

Someone has claimed both the 2nd and 3rd keys. I just wished they were nice enough to let us know…

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  925
Joined  2012-03-13
MaxCapacitor - 20 September 2012 05:15 PM

Someone has claimed both the 2nd and 3rd keys. I just wished they were nice enough to let us know…

I had a feeling that would happen a bit. Thanks for confirming that they’re taken ^_^

Has anybody had a chance to play yet? Initial impressions?

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 20 September 2012 07:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-03-23

I never have any luck when it comes to using Keys in time, so I just bought the game.  Will be playing it shortly!

Signature 

Hey!  Look behind you!  A three-headed Shafer!

Posted: 21 September 2012 06:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

I’ve been working on a page (with a bit of assistance from lietu) that will give us a single location to chat and watch streams. It also has a handy countdown timer for working how how close the next game club session is!

http://double-fine-game-club.github.com/

If anybody would like to try using this page for the upcoming session and give us feedback afterwards, that’d be great!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 21 September 2012 06:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-05-02

This is a fantastic game, I’m really looking forward to playing though it again!

Signature 

Robert Megone

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:03 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

Just finished the first episode - I like to cut things fine smile

Great to see the behind the scenes stuff (I think it appears in the main menu after you get to the end).

I had a lot of fun playing through. Looking forward to streaming for everybody!

Since I miscounted, here are two more keys (that’s all we’ve got though) ^_^

RTP1G-H6YK5-BJWBA-YT18K-HFU19
I3B09-J05SI-DE5CG-4AA71-SO20D

If you claim them, please post to let everybody know!

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2012-09-16

Hey guys, just dropping in to say that I’ll likely miss the start of the chat, but hope to join in as soon as I’m freed up. Schedules a clashin’. If I wind up not making it to the chat at all, I’d love catching up next weekend if anyone is still interested then. Doing my best to join in today though, and will badger my colleague Henrik into doing the same. smile

Thanks.

-theo

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-03-29
Cheeseness - 22 September 2012 07:03 AM

Just finished the first episode - I like to cut things fine smile

Great to see the behind the scenes stuff (I think it appears in the main menu after you get to the end).

I had a lot of fun playing through. Looking forward to streaming for everybody!

Since I miscounted, here are two more keys (that’s all we’ve got though) ^_^

RTP1G-H6YK5-BJWBA-YT18K-HFU19
I3B09-J05SI-DE5CG-4AA71-SO20D

If you claim them, please post to let everybody know!

Both of these are taken.

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
The Smell of Cinnamon Rolls
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-03-13

In case someone didn’t notice, the stream has been live for ~30 minutes so far, check it out and join us on IRC at http://double-fine-game-club.github.com/

Signature 

Join us on IRC: #dfadventure @ irc.foonetic.net
Or use the web based chat client embedded on The Double Fine Game Club homepage

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

Thanks to everybody who joined us, and especially to Theo and Henrik who answered our questions and comments!

The first post has been updated with a link to the Stream and a chat log (thanks to yama).

We’ll be finishing next week, and Theo and Henrik are hoping to join us again, so make sure to drop by smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2012-03-23

Looks like I just missed it. Maybe I’ll catch the conclusion next week. I played through it in full a couple of days ago and enjoyed it, and will definitely be picking up part two whenever it gets released. The animation was nice, and the voice acting was decent as well (it was just a bit inconsistent in quality as mentioned in the chat log, though it did not bother me much). The story is interesting and seems to be well thought out. It isn’t the funniest game in the world but there are plenty of comedic nuggets that kept things entertaining. Part one ended exactly where I expected it to, so its length seemed appropriate for an introductory episode. My only real criticisms of the game are fairly minor. There were often multiple things to do at once without being overwhelming, which was great; however, I didn’t really get stuck at all and I always felt that I knew what to do next and how to do it. There are some people who enjoy this experience, and I didn’t dislike it overall, but I prefer a bit more of a challenge. Some of the puzzles were a bit blatantly out of place, but the dialogue pointed that out specifically and made a joke of it and I think it worked well. I think the hints were probably partially responsible for nudging me in the right direction, and in general the hint system worked well to keep things moving; however, I think they were possibly given out too freely, so that just when I started thinking about how I could solve something, the answer was essentially given away, leading to a less rewarding experience. Perhaps a sliding (or binary) difficulty scale would rectify the situation and offer up hints more or less depending on the setting.

Overall it was a good game and I can’t wait for the series to continue.

[edit] I also wanted to point out that the game worked perfectly on pure 64-bit Linux, which is a very welcome departure from the norm. Too few games are available for Linux and even fewer are available in a true 64-bit form, and being able to play on any platform and on the two main desktop architectures without jumping through hoops shows a respect for the customer experience that isn’t often seen elsewhere.

Posted: 25 September 2012 12:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2012-09-16

Thanks for your kind words and comments T3slider.

We’re planning on ramping up the difficulty, just a smidgen, with chapter two. Hints won’t come quite as fast next time around. smile I totally agree that it is a shame if the player gets robbed of the feeling of having figured a puzzle out without being helped by the game. We definitely want to move further away from that with part two.

As for Linux, I’m glad you brought that up! It’s a lot of extra work, making the game run smoothly on so many different OS’s, so I’m happy to hear that the effort is appreciated.

That’s in fact one of the main reasons why we stopped working with AGS, and decided to build our own engine, the fact that we wanted the game to run on as many platforms as possible.

Thanks again for the chat, guys. If anyone has any more questions or thoughts you’d like to share with us about the game, please, do so here! I’ll be checking in on this thread now and then.

Posted: 29 September 2012 03:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

Thanks to everybody who joined in on the stream, and thanks once again to Theodor and Henrik for dropping by to chat with us.

A link to the stream and chat log is in the first post. Henrik also gave out three more Desura keys - I’m unsure if they were taken, but nobody said they had, so they could still be up for grabs smile

We’re still ironing out what game we’re likely to play next week. It will either be Beneath A Steel Sky or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge (most likely the latter), but we’ll get a forum thread up as soon as we hammer out some bits and pieces!

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2012 09:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

Sorry for the delay, people. We’ve got a thread up and ready for our next game: Beneath A Steel Sky!

Feel free to continue discussion of The Journey Down here. When we get around to playing Chapter 2, I’ll make sure to post a link to the new thread smile

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

2 of 3