Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
3 of 3
DF Game Club: The Journey Down
Posted: 08 October 2012 01:01 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  3472
Joined  2012-03-12

I just played through the Linux version on Desura while making sure both of my Linux boxes are ready (video and sound) for the Steam linux beta (fingers crossed). Having played the free version before, it came as no surprise that this is a really good game, that feels very much like the old classics, while still feeling modern and relevant. It seems to have been influenced heavily by Grim Fandango, which is never a bad thing when it’s pulled off so well.

The main problem I had with the free version was being stuck for a long while, since I couldn’t find the small interactive area that led to the docks. This is thankfully gone from the full version, which has a much better area layout. I’m also a fan of those small Layton-esque puzzles, as long as they don’t detract too much from the story, which I don’t feel that they do in this game, as they’re easy enough to figure out.

It’s also nice to see that the Swedes are able to pull off high quality adventure games. I hope they’ll be able to push out games on a more frequent basis than Cockroach though. The wait for new Dream Machine chapters is killing me. Sadly Norway doesn’t have much in the way of adventure games except The Longest Journey (not counting Dreamfall) and Life of D. Duck.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 08 October 2012 02:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  1234
Joined  2012-03-13
flesk - 08 October 2012 01:01 AM

I just played through the Linux version on Desura while making sure both of my Linux boxes are ready (video and sound) for the Steam linux beta (fingers crossed).

Off topic, Valve is encouraging people who want to play games to wait (the upcoming beta is more for getting feedback from developers and advanced users). Since there are only 1000 slots in this upcoming beta, I feel it’s worth reminding people of that >_<

The main problem I had with the free version was being stuck for a long while, since I couldn’t find the small interactive area that led to the docks.

Even in the new? full? version, there were a couple of exits that I didn’t spot at first (the one of to Makena’s). The nice big red arrows are great though :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 08 October 2012 07:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3472
Joined  2012-03-12
Cheeseness - 08 October 2012 02:27 AM

I just played through the Linux version on Desura while making sure both of my Linux boxes are ready (video and sound) for the Steam linux beta (fingers crossed).

Off topic, Valve is encouraging people who want to play games to wait (the upcoming beta is more for getting feedback from developers and advanced users). Since there are only 1000 slots in this upcoming beta, I feel it’s worth reminding people of that >_<

I thought there would be an initial closed beta for that? I’ve used linux for ten years and I’m a programmer by profession, but I don’t doubt that it would be more useful to get feedback from developers and advanced users if that’s what the open beta is for.

The main problem I had with the free version was being stuck for a long while, since I couldn’t find the small interactive area that led to the docks.

Even in the new? full? version, there were a couple of exits that I didn’t spot at first (the one of to Makena’s). The nice big red arrows are great though :D

Yeah, and the exit to the welder had another useful way of drawing attention to it.

Signature 

I’m a volunteer community moderator at DFAF, but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Double Fine.
Please keep the official DFAF “Guide to Decency” in mind when posting.

SUPER WIN THE GAME

Posted: 08 October 2012 10:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  1234
Joined  2012-03-13
flesk - 08 October 2012 07:46 AM

I thought there would be an initial closed beta for that? I’ve used linux for ten years and I’m a programmer by profession, but I don’t doubt that it would be more useful to get feedback from developers and advanced users if that’s what the open beta is for.

The upcoming beta is a closed beta (depending on your definition, I guess - they’re calling it a “private” beta). From the blog post, it reads as though it’s mostly to get feedback from 1000 users with different hardware/software configurations and a chance to have what’s happen be a bit more visible to the hordes of anxious Linux gamers awaiting the release.

I imagine it’s going to get filled with people who just want to play their games natively though, which is ultimately going to lead to poor experiences as there are very few titles, and of those, I imagine most won’t be ready for general use.

flesk - 08 October 2012 07:46 AM

Yeah, and the exit to the welder had another useful way of drawing attention to it.

I think lighting effects like that are massively underused so far as highlighting offscreen areas of interest in adventure games goes.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

3 of 3