Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
2 of 2
DF Game Club: Beneath A Steel Sky
Posted: 19 October 2012 09:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Action Forum Commander
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2012-10-13

Aha. I’m using Windows. Not sure if I want to pay for a streaming solution…

Maybe I should just watch you guys for a while, while I learn how to do it. smile

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 19 October 2012 06:14 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  1265
Joined  2012-03-13
Fireflower - 19 October 2012 09:27 AM

Aha. I’m using Windows. Not sure if I want to pay for a streaming solution…

Maybe I should just watch you guys for a while, while I learn how to do it. smile

No worries. Let us know how you go.

Flash Media Encoder is free, and there’s a free version of XSplit (though Syd says that’s not so good). ffmpeg exists for Windows, but I know nothing about using it there.

At this stage we’re expecting to finish BASS tomorrow (it’s tomorrow for me, anyway ^_^ )!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:03 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2012-10-13

I downloaded Flash Media Encoder yesterday but haven’t tried it yet.

What is SCFH DSF by the way?

I’ll be there for BASS tonight. smile

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:14 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Stream will be live in just under six hours. Apologies in advance for my less-than-usually-exuberant intro. I’ve had a sore throat for a few days ^_^

Fireflower - 20 October 2012 06:03 AM

I’ll be there for BASS tonight. smile

We should chat about streaming stuff before/after if you like smile

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 20 October 2012 09:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1449
Joined  2012-03-12
Fireflower - 20 October 2012 06:03 AM

I downloaded Flash Media Encoder yesterday but haven’t tried it yet.

You’ll need another program alongside Flash Media Encoder to stream with it (FME itself has really poor screen capturing capabilities, so you’ll need something else to take care of that). Most use SCFH DSF, though there’s some other things that will work as well.

Here’s a written guide on how to get the two to play nice with each other: http://thelivegameshq.com/public/FME.html

That guide is written for use with Livestream, but for using Justin.tv/Twitch.tv, the only difference is the rtmp address. If that guide leaves you confused, there’s dozens of other guides, in written form and in videos, for getting that set up. It’s a very popular method of streaming for people that want a high-quality stream but don’t want to pay for software.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Jazzpunk
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 20 October 2012 12:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1449
Joined  2012-03-12

Hate to double post, but we’re live!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Jazzpunk
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 20 October 2012 02:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The first post has been updated with the final stream and chat log.

After a bit of discussion, we’ve landed on Sam & Max Hit The Road as our next game, and we’ve rescheduled to run two hours later than usual to make streaming a bit easier for Syd (who is super awesome for volunteering to stream, by the way).

It was interesting to see the variations between my first playthrough and the stream. I had some characters and elements not make appearances at particular times (thanks to different dialogue choices and some of the ‘real time’ character movement from what I can tell).

I found the ending to be a little abrupt in presentation, though the story wraps up nicely.

Definitely glad we took the time to play this one :D

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2012 07:08 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-08-18

Overall, I love this game. The only thing I really didn’t like was when story progression was required for unrelated events to occur. Specifically, the part where you have to speak to the contact which somehow opens the courtroom, and then finish the court case which somehow turns on the jukebox. It basically needs you to progress the plot and check the entire world to see what changed.

Posted: 29 October 2012 05:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Lawton - 27 October 2012 07:08 AM

Overall, I love this game. The only thing I really didn’t like was when story progression was required for unrelated events to occur. Specifically, the part where you have to speak to the contact which somehow opens the courtroom, and then finish the court case which somehow turns on the jukebox. It basically needs you to progress the plot and check the entire world to see what changed.

I’m always torn on stuff like this. Logical connections are important, but life’s not always like that. If it prompts you to go exploring and see more detail in the game world, then that’s a positive aspect at least. It can definitely be frustrating though!

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-03-05

I really wish there were more Dave Gibbons + a cool comic/game writer adventure games.

Posted: 06 December 2012 09:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-05-11

Well, BASS2 is going to be Kickstarted by Revolution sometime next year (Gibbons is on record to be board)... does that count?

I’m thinking that (considering the ending) the right approach would simply be another (mostly) unrelated adventure in the same world, perhaps somewhere else in Oz.  That way, it could leave open the possibility of future games, perhaps played through as vignettes (which I always thought “dystopian cyberpunk” lent itself well to).

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

2 of 2