Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 2
Brütal Legend Strategy Tips for newcomers
Posted: 12 October 2012 01:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2007-08-31

Brütal Legend is now available for PC on Steam! Multiplayer beta now active!
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7759/

Greetings Metal Warriors!

In honor of this Saturday being ROCKTOBER 13, the three-year anniversary of the release of Brütal Legend, many of us will be playing multiplayer Stage Battles this weekend on both XBOX and PS3. Because a lot of people bought the game this year due to a few giant sales we put on (hey, there’s one going on right now!) I’m hoping we might actually have some first-time players online this Saturday!

So I’d like to round up some basic strategy tips for new Brütal Legend players. First, I’ll post an updated version of the tips I posted near the time the game released. But please add to this thread with all the info you advanced players have learned over the years. I’d love to gather up at least a high-level view of successfull strategies in one thread for newcomers.

And remember to be nice to noobs, share with them what you know, and THEN burn down their stages.

Brütal Legend Stage Battle Tips

I hate calling these “Tips.” Just doesn’t sound very metal. Let’s call this

The Brütal Legend Strategy METALFESTO!

In a traditional RTS game you float high above the action, making one split-second strategic decision after another. You often command individual units to position them based on their health and context. In Brütal Legend, you make strategic choices once in a while, but then you jump into the battle and slug it out in person. You can fly, but it’s mostly for quick scouting and transportation. You will spend a few seconds every once in a while popping into a menu to build troops or pick a guitar solo, but then you should be right back in the action. To play the game most effectively you need to be on the ground with your army most of the time, mixing it up with your axe, and your guitar, but most of all—using your Double Team attacks.

Double Team attacks are critical to your success in Stage Battles. Every friendly unit in your army has a move that they can only perform in conjunction with the player character. These moves are extremely varied, extremely powerful, and extremely fun to perform. Sometimes you might simply gain control that unit’s weapon—for instance, when a Razor Girl jumps up on your shoulders—but when you do so you increase it’s damage significantly. Other units, like the Bride, seem to be just passive, debuffing units most of the time (the Bride slows down enemy units) but when you Double Team with her she has a devastating lighting attack. More complicated Double Teams include the Frightwig, who Ophelia can pick up and throw onto an enemy unit. The Frightwig then wraps itself around the enemy’s head and causes the victim to join Ophelia’s side in the battle. (You can even use this to commandeer the enemy’s Rock Crusher!) The Organist is another passive unit whose Double Team attack allows you to gain direct player control over an enemy unit, giving you command over whatever attacks they normally have.

There are important strategic choices to make in Stage Battles. Should I spend my fans to upgrade my stage and gain access to more powerful units, or should I spend it now on cheap infantry? Which fan geysers should I fight for and which should I concede? What is the right time to block my enemies troop production with a Rock Block solo? Would anti-infantry units be better against the current enemy army, or should I switch to anti-vehicle? But these strategic decisions only take a second, and then you should get right back in the action. You should never be up in the air or away from the battle for too long.

Your army is most effective when it’s together. The AI automatically groups your warriors into battle formations where the troops support each other. Many of the units buff or heal each other. When they are together they can all be enhanced with a single Battle Cry (or other buffing) solo. And when they are all together and you are in the middle of them, that is when you have the greatest number of options for Double Team attacks.

So remember to:

Get in the center of the action!
Don’t stay in the air too long!
For the most part, keep your army together.
Always be building squads and spending your fans. Don’t hoard fans!

More Tips:

Early in the game, low-level troops are vulnerable to enemy Avatar harassment; make sure you watch over them and protect them if necessary.

Don’t play timidly. The game is about projecting power and taking control of territory. If you try to play defensively and stay in or near your base, you’ll be at a resource disadvantage.

If you set the beacon on a building, your dudes will attack the building until it’s destroyed, ignoring any incoming attacks.

The right solo played at the right time can be devastating - don’t forget you have those tools at your disposal!

Ironheade-specific Tips:

Ironheade is extremely mobile - use this to your advantage.

Razor Girls’ Double Team is great for dealing with early-game Avatar harassment, or use it with target lock to take out those pesky fast-moving units like Reapers, Tick Choppers, and Fire Barons.

Remember that you can upgrade your level one troops once your stage hits level three. If you’ve spent the game massing up those small infantry, an upgrade can really pay off.

Drowning Doom-specific Tips:

Gravediggers, while more numerous, have lower health than other basic melee troops. They may need extra support in the early game.

Use your debuffers (Bride, Organ, and Dirgible). They’re powerful, and the Bride and Organ stack their debilitating effects.

Bride’s Double Team is great for dealing with early-game Avatar harassment, or use it with target lock to take out fast-moving, mobile units.

Remember that you can upgrade your level 1 troops once your stage hits level 3. If you’ve spent the game massing up those small infantry, an upgrade can really pay off.

Tainted Coil Tips:

Your hierarchy units (Nuns, Warfather, and Overblessers) are extremely vulnerable while alone.

They’re much safer when they’re surrounded by minions, because they get a small, stacking healing bonus from each nearby minion.

Punishing Parties’ Double Team is good for dealing with early-game Avatar harassment, or use it with target lock to take out fast-moving, mobile units.

Remember your Superior and Divine troops - for example, if you build a Warfather, he can then build a Superior Nun, which in turn can produce Superior Soul Kissers and Punishing Parties. Superior and Divine squads are more powerful than the basic troops, but cost the same!

Posted: 12 October 2012 02:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2012-02-07

Remember: Drowning Doom is obsolete if the enemy has a Rock Crusher and uses BladeHenge Assault >:’(

Signature 

Drowning Doom

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-04
thetrashguydude - 12 October 2012 02:02 PM

Remember: Drowning Doom is obsolete if the enemy has a Rock Crusher and uses BladeHenge Assault >:’(

Don’t let them reach the final stage, also the Tainted Coil summon is almost a stage destroyer, u gotta be quick, also u can posses the Rock Crusher with the organist.. i think.

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  546
Joined  2011-09-11

Tainted Coil tips:
Against Drowning Doom - Spam punishing parties
Against Ironheade - usually a painlifter that’s protected is all you need…
(I hate Tainted Coil lol)

Signature 

Oh mighty sun, burn the creatures of the night from this land while I enjoy coffee and bacon!

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-03-26

I’ll definitely be logged in to Xbox Live as JRC Industries (I think we’re on each other’s friends lists, Tim)!  I played through the story again recently, so hopefully I can contribute something.  I’ve never been great at multiplayer in games, so if nothing else I can make everyone feel better about themselves!

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-08-01

That’s why we keep a few Frightwigs around and hope one sticks. Nothing quite as satisfying as having a Treeback marching alongside a Rock Crusher, slaying all in the name of The DROWNING DOOM

Organists help as well

Signature 

“Shouldn’t we be burying something?

Posted: 12 October 2012 10:26 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2012-04-09

I’ll be playing a lot today under my main username, MacabreMilkman. I hope to see you out on the battlefield fellows!

Signature 

I am the Milkman. My Milk is delicious.

Love Brütal Legend? Then you must check out the most metal wiki in the history of…ever, Brütal Legend Wiki!

Posted: 12 October 2012 10:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2010-08-27

As a DD player I can say that this is not true at all…

Posted: 13 October 2012 12:50 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
I Post Because I Am Awesome
Total Posts:  791
Joined  2011-03-14

This thread has great advise to help http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5247/

Signature 

Call of the wild was my favorite book!!!! 

You can also call me sexy robot.
Please checkout my 3d work.
DF Fans Youtube Channel.

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:14 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Royal Flush
Total Posts:  678
Joined  2009-07-22

Hmm. The biggest bits of advice I would personally give people - the most crucial things that I feel the game essentially forgot to tell us - are as follows.

1. USE THE ****ING FLAG.
Your flag is pretty much the most important ability you have in terms of controlling your troops. The idea of this game is to basically get your troops moving around as automatically as possible so you can minimize the time you have to spend babysitting them and maximise the time you spend Actually Being Useful, i.e. killing %#$@&!.

So USE THE FLAG. Right at the start of battle, go to the geyser you want to take first and put the flag there. Then, when you want to take a different geyser, move the flag to there instead. By doing this, you have cut out literally about 80% of the troop commanding you will ever have to do.

2. USE THE ****ING DOUBLE TEAMS.
The avatar combat and the double team attacks work in tandem with each other. The basic combat is a wide selection of different types of moves - damage over time, high damage to one target, low damage to multiple targets, ranged hits, melee hits, knockback, etc. - which can be performed anywhere in an instant. But it’s weak and leaves you vulnerable while in use.

The double teams are also a wide selection of different types of moves - damage over time, high damage to one target, etc etc etc - but much much more powerful versions of the basic moves. On top of that, they completely protect you from damage while in use. However - you can’t interchange between them as easily, and obviously they require you and a troop in the same place at once.

The point being that you need to make full use of both of these types of ability. Want to kill something that’s nearly dead quickly before flying off elsewhere? Use combat. Want to kill multiple things alongside your army? Use double teams. Want to pick off an enemy that’s on its own? Use combat. Want to help your army drive off a fan leech? Double team. And so on.

3. USE THE ****ING SOLOS.
Solos essentially enhance your ability to do everything else. There are solos to help your troops, solos to kill things, solos to summon things, solos to screw your opponent over, solos to screw over your opponent’s ability to make troops, and so on. These are all really %#$@&! powerful when used at the right time. So make use of them!!

4. Think constantly about where you will be most effective.
In Brutal Legend, YOU are the most powerful thing on the battlefield. Therefore, most of the strategy in this game comes not from the way you organize your troops, but where you choose to focus your attention at any given time.

On a large scale, you need to constantly decide where on the battlefield you should be, and what you should be doing there. Within a scuffle between your troops and the enemy’s, you need to decide what you’re going to be killing, and how. Doing SOMETHING is always preferable to doing NOTHING - any second you spend in the air just watching without helping out is a second wasted.

5. If you want to split your army up, use the individual orders from the air, not the ground.
I have no idea why this was buried at the bottom of three paragraphs of text that nobody read whereas the ground version had an entire mission dedicated to its explanation. But anyway - hold down the button in the air and you get a little cursor that you can drag over multiple troops to select them out before giving them a separate order (remember to keep holding down the button while you issue the order). This is about a million times more usable and useful than the ground version which only lets you select one guy at a time while ambling around on foot.

Of course this isn’t really delving into strategies, but I’d say this is basically the fundamental stuff that you need to know to be able to play but which wasn’t actually explained effectively within the game.

Posted: 13 October 2012 02:47 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2010-08-27

Stay classy…

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  897
Joined  2011-12-11

Alright! I won the Six Degrees of Schafer Trophy!

Signature 

Hiding in your basement since before you were born

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-08-01
Acefox - 13 October 2012 07:03 PM

Congrats, my friend!

Signature 

“Shouldn’t we be burying something?

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-03-14

That great, congrats.

Signature 

DF Fans Youtube Channel.

Posted: 14 October 2012 12:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-23

Congrats, I got it as well. I got the game when it came out, but never got around to playing any MP. Tim’s Rocktober celebration tweet spurred me to pull the game out again and give it a go. I had a pretty abysmal showing, which I can only partially attribute to not having played in 3 years. I had fun overall, but it was pretty frustrating to get completely steamrolled in less than 10 minutes in one game. I decided to set my team to random and let the RNG decide what I was doing. I never saw Tim, but JCR got to whoop up on me twice. I need to play this more.

Posted: 14 October 2012 12:24 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-03-14
Matchstick - 14 October 2012 12:16 AM

Congrats, I got it as well. I got the game when it came out, but never got around to playing any MP. Tim’s Rocktober celebration tweet spurred me to pull the game out again and give it a go. I had a pretty abysmal showing, which I can only partially attribute to not having played in 3 years. I had fun overall, but it was pretty frustrating to get completely steamrolled in less than 10 minutes in one game. I decided to set my team to random and let the RNG decide what I was doing. I never saw Tim, but JCR got to whoop up on me twice. I need to play this more.

Congrats,  I was unable to play Tim ether but i did go up against JCR a couple of times too.  I won some of them and lost some too.

Signature 

DF Fans Youtube Channel.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 2

‹‹ Rocktober!      Brutal legend calendar. ››