Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: Sam & Max Hit The Road
Posted: 20 October 2012 02:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2012-03-13

G’day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 27th October, we’ll be playing through Sam & Max Hit The Road a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don’t like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net (if you’re not sure, just click this link to access webchat from our stream page). The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Syd will be streaming the game at the later time of Saturday 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone). If anybody is interested in assisting with streaming, please let us know!

Previous game: Beneath A Steel Sky

27th October, 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone): Start of game (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)
3rd November, 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone): Second game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)
10th November, 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone): Third game session (Stream 3, Stream 4) and general discussion (log)

Next game: Botanicula (starting 17th November)

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

Sam_&_Max_Hit_the_Road_artwork.jpg

Synopsis:
The Freelance Police investigate the disappearance of a frozen bigfoot named Bruno and a giraffe-necked-girl named Trixie in a zany adventure across the USA in bizarre and lovable Sam & Max style.

For anybody not aware, 2012 marks the 25th year since Sam & Max first appeared in a published work (a little longer since their inception, but that’s another story).

Where to get (Sam & Max is currently whatever the game equivalent of out-of-print, and unused copies are pretty hard to come by):
Amazon
ScummVM (demo)

Note that users of Linux, MacOS and other platforms can run the game using ScummVM.

———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:
IRC Server:  irc.foonetic.net
Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 20 October 2012 06:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
A Pile of Kittens
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-04-11

Sounds like fun!  I am looking forward to it! :3

Signature 

THE AGE WILL ARRIVE…

Posted: 20 October 2012 11:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2012-04-09

this is my first adventure game. So awesome.

Posted: 24 October 2012 02:13 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2012-03-23

I’ve still got the floppy disks for mine :D

...but I have no floppy disk drive…

*Frantically checks external hard drive for backup*

Posted: 25 October 2012 01:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2012-10-13

Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend this weekend, I will attend a friends birthday party instead. smile

Signature 

Downloadable, DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
The Smell of Cinnamon Rolls
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2012-03-13

Hey there .. I guess I won’t be able to attend the DFGC today (Saturday) either.

Been a bit busy lately, last weekend was hiking in northern Finland, otherwise been quite busy at work so haven’t been that active in the channel. This time it seems to have been moved from 22:00 my time to midnight. That’s way too late for me, and I can’t join in on that.

Signature 

Join us on IRC: #dfadventure @ irc.foonetic.net
Or use the web based chat client embedded on The Double Fine Game Club homepage

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-03-13
lietu - 26 October 2012 10:27 PM

That’s way too late for me, and I can’t join in on that.

With so few people interested in streaming, we’re at the mercy of times that are work for those that are :(

Good to hear you’re still around though :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2012-03-12
Cheeseness - 26 October 2012 10:36 PM
lietu - 26 October 2012 10:27 PM

That’s way too late for me, and I can’t join in on that.

With so few people interested in streaming, we’re at the mercy of times that are work for those that are :(

Good to hear you’re still around though :D

Which is why we could really use more streamers.

Especially streamers with stable internet (unlike me).

Hint hint, nudge nudge. C’mon, streamers, we know you’re out there somewhere!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 27 October 2012 03:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

First post has been updated with a link to the stream and a chat log.

Apologies for not posting in the thread when the stream went live - I had a message all written out, but forgot to click submit >_<

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2012 01:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

I would like to stream. I’ve downloaded Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder but I don’t know how it works… If you have some instructions I would gladly accept them. smile

Signature 

Downloadable, DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 01 November 2012 02:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-03-12
Fireflower - 01 November 2012 01:48 PM

I would like to stream. I’ve downloaded Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder but I don’t know how it works… If you have some instructions I would gladly accept them. smile

Here’s a pretty decent guide on streaming with AFMLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n-oE6r4JR8

Keep in mind that you’ll need another program for screen capture. This video recommends AmaRekTV, but SCFH DSF is another popular choice (guides on that particular program are pretty easy to find through Google).

It can take some trial and error getting AFMLE set up, but it works great.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 01 November 2012 02:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2012 01:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be starting in a few minutes, though I may have to cut the stream off a bit earlier than usual.

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2012 02:53 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

(Double post, whee!)

Sorry I had to cut the stream off early. Today’s a bit busier for me than Saturdays usually are. If you got in late or missed today’s stream, you can catch up with the archived version. We’ll be finishing up next week, so be sure to join us!

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2012 04:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

Damn, I completely forgot about it. :/

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 12:04 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

Fireflower, have you had any success with getting a streaming workflow happening? If you’re still keen, do you think you’d be up for streaming our next adventure game? I’m going to be moving house, and Syd needs a break after Sam & Max.

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3