Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: Botanicula
Posted: 10 November 2012 09:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1204
Joined  2012-03-13

G’day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 17th November, we’ll be playing through Botanicula a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don’t like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net (if you’re not sure, just click this link to access webchat from our stream page). The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Fireflower will be streaming the game at the later time of Saturday 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone), that’s 1:00PM PST. If anybody is interested in assisting with streaming, please let us know!

Previous game: Sam & Max Hit The Road

17th November, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): Start of game (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)
24th November, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): Technical difficulties :(
1st December, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): Second game session (Stream 2) and general discussion

Next game: Trauma

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

200px-Botanicula_video_game_cover.jpg

Synopsis:
A point and click “exploration” game about five botanical creatures who journey to save the last seed of their home tree, which has become infested by evil parasites.

Where to get online:
Official Botanicula Website (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
Steam (Windows, MacOS)
GOG (Windows, MacOS)
Mac App Store (MacOS)

———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:
IRC Server:  irc.foonetic.net
Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 10 November 2012 09:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Could everybody please note that we are sticking with the same time as our Sam & Max streams, but switching to UTC so as to reduce confusion around daylight savings (be sure to click the time zone link or use the countdown on the stream page if you’re uncertain).

Big thanks to Fireflower for volunteering to stream smile

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 11 November 2012 12:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Dr. Action Poster, Esq.
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-04-05

I had a blast revisiting Sam & Max in the past few sessions. It’s such a funny game with great gameplay.

I’m looking forward to next weekend and the Botanicula session. It will be interesting to see what the gameplay is like because I can’t quite figure that out from the official trailers.

Signature 

Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.™
Join us on IRC: #dfadventure@irc.foonetic.net [Web IRC client]

Posted: 11 November 2012 12:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
takarayama - 11 November 2012 12:16 AM

I had a blast revisiting Sam & Max in the past few sessions. It’s such a funny game with great gameplay.

I’m looking forward to next weekend and the Botanicula session. It will be interesting to see what the gameplay is like because I can’t quite figure that out from the official trailers.

It’s a bit like Machinarium, but with little to no puzzles. I’ve only played it through once, but it was fun and had great ambiance even if it wasn’t a very challenging game smile

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2012 10:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1439
Joined  2012-03-12
takarayama - 11 November 2012 12:16 AM

It’s strangely reminiscent of the games from Humongous Entertainment. Nearly everything can be interacted with, and a lot of the game’s charm comes from clicking on things just to see what happens.

There are puzzles, but most of them are pretty simple.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: TBA
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 15 November 2012 08:56 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2012-10-13

The music and sounds are nice too in Botanicula. smile

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 17 November 2012 02:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Dr. Action Poster, Esq.
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-04-05

The party has started! Come join us in the chat and follow along with the stream over at http://double-fine-game-club.github.com/

Signature 

Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.™
Join us on IRC: #dfadventure@irc.foonetic.net [Web IRC client]

Posted: 18 November 2012 11:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

First post has been updated with the Stream archive and chat log. Thanks to everybody who tuned in, and a big thanks to Fireflower for streaming.

I’ll try to make it next week if I’m able.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 07:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

Join us tonight for the second session!

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 24 November 2012 04:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

Sorry for the stream problems. :(

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

Soon time for a new attempt at Botanicula. smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 03:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2012-04-05

Thanks for the stream Fireflower.

Posted: 01 December 2012 04:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

No problem. Hope you liked it.

Signature 

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:17 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Alrighty!

First up, apologies for the late update. I’ve been offline whilst moving house and have been absolutely swamped with work since. A link to the second Botanicula stream is in the first post. Thanks so much to Fireflower for taking care of the Streams and keeping the cogs turning.

Secondly, after a while bunch of back and forthing, we’ve settled on Trauma as our next game. This is something a little different from what we’ve played before, and may feel a little more like Myst than a traditional point-and-click game, but it’s interesting, and it’s short, so I hope everybody finds it a nice change of pace before we dive back into more familiar stuff.

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!