Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Stacking and Costume Quest on Linux! Yaaaaay!!!
Posted: 13 November 2012 06:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-03-23

Steam for Linux got updated today. And now, I can see Costume Quest and Stacking! And it feels like Christmas! :D

I’m downloading both games right now! Thank you Double Fine for porting those two amazing titles!

Yay :D

Posted: 13 November 2012 07:15 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2012-03-23

Well, seems like I’ve spoken too quickly. Both games downloaded fine but without linux binaries.

I hope this still means we’ll get a port soon :)

Posted: 14 November 2012 03:31 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2711
Joined  2012-03-14

Well, i think you could always Wine it all if nothing helps.

Signature 

Dead cat

Posted: 24 November 2012 05:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
A Pile of Kittens
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2012-03-23

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn’t get too excited - that seems to be a somewhat common bug. When Steam for Mac came out, I was all excited to see that Stacking showed up as being downloadable. I downloaded it right away, but all it downloaded was the Windows version. A few days later, a Steam update rolled out and Stacking no longer showed up as available for OS X.

Long story short, it would be awesome to get these games on OS X and Linux, but until DF says something, I sadly wouldn’t count on it - especially since these games seem to rely on some certain Xbox-related frameworks.

Signature 

$100 backer for Double Fine Adventure
$100 backer for MASSIVE CHALICE!
Lover of video games
Writer for iPhone Life Magazine
Professional Smartass (Part-time)

Posted: 15 February 2013 02:20 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-05-11
Dain Schroeder - 24 November 2012 05:39 PM

A few days later, a Steam update rolled out and Stacking no longer showed up as available for OS X.

THAT is a big giant bummer.

Long story short, it would be awesome to get these games on OS X and Linux, but until DF says something, I sadly wouldn’t count on it - especially since these games seem to rely on some certain Xbox-related frameworks.

Hm.  And that explains the current PC versions how?  Those happen not to be Xboxes either grin

Of course at the time of your post, Brütal hadn’t been published to PC yet, and I suspect that it was far more “console-d” than Stacking or Costume Quest are currently.

Double Fine would need their publishing rights back from THQ-cum-creditor-cum-mystery-publisher first.  But then they could do whatever they wanted, that they could afford to do.  Both Stacking and Costume Quest are based on variations of DF’s Buddha engine from Brütal, a version of which was ported to Linux/Mac for The Cave. Both have Steam PC versions, hence mouse/keyboard control and freedom from console libraries.

I suspect that the issue is more of an impassible money-hungry wall of attorneys and developer estimates…

That said, I’m registering my interest in Linux versions of both of them, right here.  Also, give a Mac version to the Mac people… they seem like nice enough folks grin

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:17 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-03-23
Mr. Jaggers - 15 February 2013 02:20 AM

A few days later, a Steam update rolled out and Stacking no longer showed up as available for OS X.

Both Stacking and Costume Quest are based on variations of DF’s Buddha engine from Brütal, a version of which was ported to Linux/Mac for The Cave. Both have Steam PC versions, hence mouse/keyboard control and freedom from console libraries.

It seems like the possibility of having Brutal Legend, Stacking and Costume Quest on Linux is getting closer and closer to reality! Yay!!

Twitter, on Feb 14th:
@BiggieD: @DoubleFine Nice to see that Brutal Legend is finally getting its PC dues, but where is the Linux love ;) I hope more news is to come.
@DoubleFine: @BiggieD We definitely want to support Linux and Mac as much as possible—hopefully we’ll have more news about it in the future! Stay tuned!

Twitter, on Feb 13th:
@Cupids_Hitman: @DoubleFine Is there any chance Double Fine games other than The Cave and Psychonauts coming to Mac? Especially Iron Brigade.
@DoubleFine: @Cupids_Hitman Chances are good! Stay tuned for future announcements. We want to support as many computer platforms as we can.
@DoubleFine: @Cupids_Hitman Actually sorry, chance not good for Iron Brigade—that’s our only game we don’t own. Microsoft owns it, and they don’t do Mac

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  445
Joined  2012-03-23

http://steamdb.info/app/115110/#section_history

http://steamdb.info/app/115100/#section_history

!!! Yay for porting your whole library!

Just noticed the icons are actually visible in Steam, although nothing gets installed. Excited!

Posted: 07 May 2013 04:10 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-05-11

Yep!  And up now on the latest Humble Bundle… I’m listening to my newly-purchased Stacking soundtrack right now, in fact!  grin

Also… I was totally wrong about publishing rights.  Apparently THQ (and now Nordic Games) only held the Xbox/PS3 publishing rights.

Posted: 08 May 2013 12:21 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2011-02-08
buckysrevenge - 03 May 2013 01:54 PM

http://steamdb.info/app/115110/#section_history

http://steamdb.info/app/115100/#section_history

!!! Yay for porting your whole library!

Just noticed the icons are actually visible in Steam, although nothing gets installed. Excited!

They ported The Cave as well.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!