Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Zumbi Chained Official Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead; Kjeld Pedersen

Coop brawler game where players are enslaved and chained together and have to fight for their freedom. This small epic game is set in a time of slavery in Africa to Brasil. You are slaves, a couple bad seeds that will spark a revolution. The game will have an unique art style in exotic locations, exploring the Brazilian culture, with hand painted visuals in 2.5 D. You will have to play together for you are chained together, astray and you won’t be able to even get out of place. Fight together and you will become legends, you will achieve your freedom and not just that, you will transcend it, you will learn what it takes to fly, with the fighting acrobatics of capoeira!  You will lead a revolution, and you will free other coop groups and abolish slavery.

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-11-03

The setting is certainly unique and interesting (and I think there’s a lot potential), but I can think of at least one game ( The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon) that quite literally chains two players together. In that game, the chain makes an additional difference, because it impacts the ability to fly. I can imagine the chained brawlers performing (beautiful) combos, using the chain (as a mean to overcome its limitation). But how would you use it to add complexity to the gameplay (aside from limiting movement)?
Aside from that, two personal notes:
I am always looking for good games that are designed for coop play. You know, something you can play with a good friend, with an element of rivalry, as well as, cooperation.
I feel like mixing a dificult topic (like slavery) with a light-hearted fun game is a very complex thing to do right. Too serious and the game gets preachy, tedious and no fun. Too much fun and too little seriousness and it feels like you don’t give the proper respect to the subject matter.

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:48 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  809
Joined  2008-01-10

Yeah, it’s tough. It has to be lighthearted given the focus on action. I don’t see this working in a more serious historical setting, say like the Assassin’s Creed games.

How does progression work? Do players learn more moves or unlock bonuses along the way?

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-04-05

Hello folks first of all thanks for the interest on my game! 

It’s a game I’m quite passionate and interested in making it!

Dimitri I’m glad you caught many of the things I had to dealt with. When figuring it out about the game I ran into similar questions.

FIGHTING

I wanted to make something original and fun, I love coop games and the idea of being chained together although it has being explored in games, it was always as an add on. I feel that there’s an untapped potential in it. I’m a big fan of Capcom fighting games and the combos you can create on Marvels vs Capcom or Street Fighter.

There are numerous things I want to make while fighting chained together, such as, kinetic build up energy, using the tension of moving in opposite directions to create charge, circular motion on opposite directions also to create more energy, using the chains to choke or herd the enemy, sling shooting your friend as a chain ball, on the other side of the coin, carrying your friend if he’s badly injured, rather than a simple revival, in order built a strong bond as you progress through the game.

This may answer your question
vicofages!

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT\ GAMEPLAY PROGRESSION

CAPOEIRA as a fighting form

The other missing aspect is the method of fighting, which is completely unique, mind blown, unseen in games in its proper form, Capoeira, a brazilian martial art form. In it acrobatics have a huge effect, you fight in the tempo of music for one, which trips your brain. You can be deadly even upside down, the element of surprise on this fighting form is amazing to watch, truly an expectacle. Where today kung fu, karate, in games like Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, are almost a genre in games. So could this be. I practice the art form and want to bring in detail the movements that make it so special and interesting to see.

I like the fact that Capoeira fighting form is free and expansive and that contrasts with being chained.

The characters progression and development would be evolving from being barely able to move, weak in a tug of war of differences to working together and learning how to use the chain and to learn how to fight with Capoeira.

Eventually the links of the chain expand until at the very end when all your knowledge is acquired together in this coop brawler, they are broken and you are free. The game takes a new level progression, now you a Capoeira master your moves are expansive, you can almost fly. Free in contrast to where you started and ready to help other chained coop players on their mission to free everyone. As you can see in this game replayability would be great for as a player you evolved and can play the game again helping others who are chained.

STORY

As for the story you are right on the money, Dimitri, dealing with slavery its tricky. Luckily I like this challenge. Movies have evolved passed the normal themes we are used to see. Few games reach beyond the common themes. I believe as developers we should express what happens in our lives without censure, in either a reality manner or fantasy manner, I find that is when it becomes meaningful.

Some movie examples worth bring it up. Amistad, Besouro, and the end of Gladiator, one of the origins of this idea I had for a long time.  I love Gladiator, one of my favorite movies, I imagined why not a sequel, why not a game, but following the story of his friend back to his home land, a different epic a different setting that leads him to Brazil on a slave ship with the culture, gods, beliefs of these regions. As God of War uses the well known Greek mythology, this uses fantastic african/brazilian mythologies yet to be seen/discovered by large audiences.

LINKS

Besouro
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmo7_5A8U8[/youtube]

Amistad
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP0hwVVUTac[/youtube]

End of gladiator
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svE2DRRopzE[/youtube]

2:40

MUSIC

Here is the music envisioned for the game

Fela Kuti
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgewcFh-cg[/youtube]

This one with a taste for capoeira moves

Capoeira with the berimbau
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xxgFpK-NM&feature=related[/youtube]

Here is a portion of the art style

Aaron Douglas
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL8pcuuZNNM&feature=related[/youtube]

Frank Frazetta
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW56jrMQb5Y&feature=related[/youtube]

For Composition
The turtle and the Shark
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydDi9iuKbhM&list=FLcohNcCVZbvhIw67D0OkCsw&index=32&feature=plpp_video[/youtube]

Thanks for your interest and I hope you had a little bit more of a taste for what I want to make.

-Kjeld Pedersen

[ Edited: 20 November 2012 01:27 PM by DF Kjeld ]
Image Attachments
ZumbiChained_Characters_500k.jpg

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-05

Updated the main page

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-05

For more details about this game please check the PDF

http://cdn.humblebundle.com/static/hashed/22b6310087961a900b73fda71be605c5723158b2.pdf

Thanks!

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-05

UPDATE: information added to Youtube

Posted: 20 November 2012 07:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  1543
Joined  2011-10-08

Looks like an interesting challenge in which I have to fight while my hands are chained together.

Signature 

“It looks like Carrot Top had sex with Lady Gaga, look at this %#$@&! guy.”  - DSP describing Bobby Zilch in his Psychonauts playthrough.

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-05

Thanks Epic, it would indeed be! Limitations can open new possibilities and ways for doing things!

Posted: 22 November 2012 04:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-24

Hi! This idea is great! My mates and me are fond of coop games, and a new kind of beat’em’all seems very refreshing! Hope you will meet your public!

Good luck!
A french Guy

Posted: 23 November 2012 08:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-03-23

Unique idea.

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-05

Merci Kanthor!

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-05
Zyll - 23 November 2012 08:49 PM

Unique idea.

Unique ideas are harder to blossom but when they do it’s fantastic!

Thanks Zyll!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!