Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Primordial Slime Official Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: David Gardner

Primordial slime is new way to interact with a character on your touch/mobile device. Use gestures to push and pull on a piece of living slime, flinging it through the air and splattering it against objects in a mad laboratory filled with physics puzzles, traps and abominations of science!
You, the slime, awaken resting in a Petri dish inside a self destructing laboratory. Explore your way through a maze of physics puzzles while uncovering the mystery of the experiment that both brought you to life as well as brought doom to the lab.
Travel through a world filled with physics puzzles you’ll need to experiment with to solve and navigate through, while eluding traps built to capture wild experiments.
In primordial slime, you’ll need to fend for your newly gained sentient life against other experiments and abominations, who thanks to the wonder of science, range from incredibly cute octopus cats to vicious spider tailed tiger eels, or whatever other genetic engineering monstrosities science is capable of creating.

Posted: 16 November 2012 07:19 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2012-03-22

LogoForumsMoved.jpg

Hi everyone! I’m super eager to answer any questions about the game! or about my personal life… I guess.

Adventure games are not dead and Primordial Slime games have not even begun!

[ Edited: 16 November 2012 07:21 PM by DF DaveG ]
 Signature 

Follow me on Twitter and I’ll tell you secrets: @iruinedyourday

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2012-03-14

Will there be an easter egg where if I enter my name as “i don’t know” the game sends me to a youtube playlist of kids getting slimed on You Can’t Do That On Television?

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22
louiedog - 19 November 2012 02:23 PM

Will there be an easter egg where if I enter my name as “i don’t know” the game sends me to a youtube playlist of kids getting slimed on You Can’t Do That On Television?

That will absolutely happen if we win! I couldn’t say no to this, ever.

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22

If your curious about how the moment to moment gameplay that may happen in Primordial Slime, I like to think it will be something more story driven than traditional puzzle games on mobile devices. Maybe the best way to think of it would be Limbo + Portal.

Puzzles similar to the both of them, strung together in an environment that as you explore tells more and more of a story.

I really like mobile game puzzlers, but as an artist love games that tell stores. Obviously, I work at Double Fine! So I would rather you played the game and explored a world that not only challenged you traverse, but also perked your curiosity about the environment and creatures that inhabit it.

Also I love creatures, so hopefully in this mad laboratory there would be lots of opportunities to fill it with crazy experimental creatures.

Please more questions! I’m excited to help flesh this idea out with you all! What do you like/dislike about mobile games? What would you like to see more of in puzzlers?

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-03-30

The tactile feel of the slime in the video clip looked like it’d be really fun to play on a tablet. After that, it’d really be up to the the puzzle design to see how great the game could be. Still, it seems like the game would be right up my alley, so I voted for it.

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:24 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

World of Goo is one of my favorites precisely because it has a compelling story and gameplay to keep it interesting. I didn’t see you mention that game but it’s definitely in the same realm.

Have you worked what the story will be yet? Or is it still a general idea?

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22
VicOfAges - 20 November 2012 03:24 AM

World of Goo is one of my favorites precisely because it has a compelling story and gameplay to keep it interesting. I didn’t see you mention that game but it’s definitely in the same realm.

Have you worked what the story will be yet? Or is it still a general idea?

Hey Vic, thanks for asking! Yea I have to some extent outlined a story. One of the things I really love is a good mystery. I find in games its really cool to uncover a story that is obscured in the beginning and slowly revealed.

In primordial slime (contrary to my not so hot graphic design skills) I would like for it to have some serious and ominous undertones, something spectral about exploring the chaotic laboratory. I wanted to express that the lab would be in a state of flux, experiments run rampant, self destruct sequences activating all over the place, crazy chaos and a feeling of everything being out of control, with a sense of confusion about why the experiment you control is special. As you explore the laboratory you will encounter clues that would spell out your creation, and why you are unique.

Being Primordial Slime there are some connotations that the character is a new type of life form, uncovering what it was that created it and its destiny is something that could go in a lot of directions. I don’t want to totally spoil the direction that I would like to head, but hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Think like a Sci-Fi Limbo? with slime.. and of course some humor too! heh maybe like that Limbo in Color animated short someone made last year. I am a very sarcastic person IRL! Im like a game dev version of Indiana Jones, like all tough and grizzly on one side yet still comical and laughable on the other.

[ Edited: 21 November 2012 01:52 AM by DF DaveG ]
 Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22
BigZ7337 - 19 November 2012 10:12 PM

The tactile feel of the slime in the video clip looked like it’d be really fun to play on a tablet. After that, it’d really be up to the the puzzle design to see how great the game could be. Still, it seems like the game would be right up my alley, so I voted for it.

Thanks BigZ! Yeah designing satisfying to play, yet just hard enough to solve physics puzzles is a challenge! One that I really enjoy working out in games in the past too!

Recently I have done work on puzzles in the game The Cave due to come out early next year! I hope you will get to enjoy them! but the result of that has been a healthy addiction to working out puzzles on paper and in animated form to block out gameplay ideas for fun, so in other words, luckily I enjoy the challenge!

I cant promise you they will be the best ever, but I CAN promise you they WILL BE THE BEST EVER! Well as good as we can make them! (best ever). Good! (Best!).

Thanks again for voting, I hope we get the chance to have some fun with it at AF!!  LOL  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2012 07:06 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2012-02-13

This looks like it will be nice to control on a tablet and I like that you’re interested in having a story around this. I’d really love a primortial love triangle or something. smile

Anyway, thumbs up.

Posted: 21 November 2012 02:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2012-11-21

Dave I really liked your animation!

Signature 

HEY: @bburbank / @jetgirlghostdog

Posted: 21 November 2012 03:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22
ET3D - 21 November 2012 07:06 AM

This looks like it will be nice to control on a tablet and I like that you’re interested in having a story around this. I’d really love a primortial love triangle or something. smile

Anyway, thumbs up.

Thanks! like twilight..? slimelight? Breaking Slime, Slime Dawn.

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2012 05:44 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2012-03-14

I don’t have any of these fancy touch devices.  Would it also work with an old-school mouse?

I voted for this anyway because it looks cool smile

Posted: 21 November 2012 05:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22
spacebug - 21 November 2012 05:44 PM

I don’t have any of these fancy touch devices.  Would it also work with an old-school mouse?

I voted for this anyway because it looks cool smile

Absolutly! The game will be playable on PC for AF and I definitly would want to make sure the game works well on all devices. Even though the primary scew would be touch/mobile!

Thanks for the vote and interest!

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-22

Hey! there is a new thread for another round of voting fun! If you liked Primordial Slime and want to give it one last vote, Please do! I want to keep the dream alive, I want to update the way we move around on mobile devices! yay! and slime! (also, if you really like the other games give them a vote, its all a noble cause!) :D

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7974/

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-03-30
DF DaveG - 28 November 2012 08:27 PM

Hey! there is a new thread for another round of voting fun! If you liked Primordial Slime and want to give it one last vote, Please do! I want to keep the dream alive, I want to update the way we move around on mobile devices! yay! and slime! (also, if you really like the other games give them a vote, its all a noble cause!) :D

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7974/

I voted for you there, I think your game would be awesome to play on my Nexus 7. smile

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!