Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Battle Bros Official Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: Geoff Soulis

From the future a new king will come to save the world of the past.  A college fraternity is brought back in time to King Arthur’s court.  They fight the evil baron with weapons and armor forged from their modern designs.  Their bond of brotherhood is forged through keg stands on the round table nothing can stop their blowouts of righteous fury.

Posted: 16 November 2012 07:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-04-13

Welcome Actionnauts!  Over the next week i’ll posting my prepro designs and art.  Feedback and Ideas are welcome as well! 

So lets get started,

here are links to the two games i mentioned in my 30sec pitch.

Post any of your favorites!

Thanks for taking a look!

-Geoff

Posted: 19 November 2012 04:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-13

I will be posting a few images today, until about 6.  if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  808
Joined  2008-01-10

What sorts of power moves will the bros employ? And how would a power move meter work? I remember some of these games used to drain health for overuse, and I think that would fit in here.

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:28 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-24

How are you planning to implement rogue-like elements? Usually that means random generated level design, which I imagine would be tricky with a side-scrolling beat’em’up as the “level” usually consists of a flat background with the only dynamic element being the enemies you encounter.

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:54 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2012-03-23

I really like beat’em’ups with friends and those old Dungeons And Dragons arcade games were awesome. I don’t know if I dug the ‘bros’ angle but the idea of a DF made brawler made me vote for this one easily.

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:20 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-13
VicOfAges - 20 November 2012 01:44 AM

What sorts of power moves will the bros employ? And how would a power move meter work? I remember some of these games used to drain health for overuse, and I think that would fit in here.

Yes, health would be consumed with a power move, this was generally a ‘clear out’ attack that the player will use if they’re getting mobbed.  As for power moves, i’ll be posting a diagram of each playable character/movelist and the general gameplay loop.

Sectus - 20 November 2012 03:28 AM

How are you planning to implement rogue-like elements? Usually that means random generated level design, which I imagine would be tricky with a side-scrolling beat’em’up as the “level” usually consists of a flat background with the only dynamic element being the enemies you encounter.

I will post more on this later today but here is a quick overview. 

The core of a rogue-like game is a different experience every time you press start, and, like most rogue-likes that should be often.  Battle Bro’s take on this concept is to give the player a stable of choosable characters with varying abilities that can be chosen at the start, they would then proceed to play a randomly generated quest appropriate to the level of the character.  Now leveling your character in game is persistent, the more you level up a character the more starting options and characters you unlock. 

for the purpose of AF i will have to limit how deep each ‘quest’ can go and how many unlockables exist.

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-20

The premise reminds me of the animated series King Arthur & the Knights of Justice.

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-13

Heh, yep, it was one of my inspirations for this game. I was going to use a butt rock sound track for this game as well.

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-04-13

Hey everyone, i’m going to post all of my docs tomorrow, i didn’t have a chance to clean them up as i was making sure another game was going out the door.  Thanks for stopping by. 

even though the game is in a humble 15th place right now, it would be nice for people to take a look at the design ideas and throw your two cents in.  Also if there are any questions you would like answered (AF related or not) i would be happy to answer them! 

thanks!

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-03-05

Yes you had me at ‘roguelike brawler’ - I want to see what you have in mind more with it.  smile

Posted: 22 November 2012 07:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-11-19

Hi!  thanks for you prototype idea.  I LOVE IT!  And I have some questions, so i will just drop them all here :D

Would there be a internet multiplayer element to this?  I would love to play it with friends of mine. 
Also, I loved river city ransom and the upgrading you did throughout the game.  Did you have any ideas to include something like that? 
I know you mentioned the quests would be randomly generated, but would the game have an end, a set number of quests to do? 
Would there be set bosses/ final boss? 
Would I be able to replay it with different character classes/ stats? 
Would there be rare or unique drops to get that i could show off to my friends? 
Also, internet leaderboards would be pretty fun to have as well, showing off winning heroes/times/stats.

/end braindump smile
Thanks!

Posted: 23 November 2012 08:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-03-23

The Rogue like part of this is throwing me too. I’m seeing something like Gauntlet in my head?

Posted: 26 November 2012 07:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-03-23

i voted for this right away and i think it sounds like a great idea. would there be increasing difficulty levels and an individual character progression? i think if i could create a character and level him up and equip him items and things i would like it even more. i imagine diablo meets guardian heroes.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-02-15

Really sad this one didn’t make it through the voting round. I thought it had a great concept.

Maybe next year, eh?

Signature 

Now if only there was a Kickstarter to get the name of Iron Brigade changed back to TRENCHED!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!