Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

CritterVerse Official Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:43 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: Jeremy Mitchell

A team of wildlife researchers are on an intergalactic voyage to discover life on other planets. During the mission, their ship is caught in a wormhole and transported across the universe where odd creatures inhabit strange planets. Influenced by games like Pokemon, the Legend of Zelda, and logic puzzles like Chip’s Challenge, In CritterVerse - you’ll travel from planet to planet, solving 2D action puzzles and collecting unique creature data to unlock new abilities.

Posted: 17 November 2012 03:04 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2012-11-16

titleyz.png

Hello! I’m Jeremy Mitchell - Double Fine Technical Artist. Most people around here call me Burger, unfortunately. It’s been that way since my first day and hey, who am I to get in the way of fate?

My game is called CritterVerse. It’s a game about flying your spaceship to different planets and navigating Zelda-dungeon style puzzle levels, to collect creatures. Collect enough creatures of a certain type, and unlock their ability to use in other types of planets. (Example, Sandwich Planet’s Cheese Bridge ability!).

A race of meanie-headed robots called The Decimators are on a universe-wide mission to destroy all the cuddly creatures! Well, only 10% of them, given their name. But that’s still too many!

Spaceships. Robots. Sandwiches. Puzzles.

Here are some closer pics of the critters you saw in my pitch video! I used my +2 Beard of Charisma to convince Double Fine Concept Artist Extraordinaire, Derek Brand, to draw the Turtles and Sandwiches for me.

NcLCD.jpg

Also, the super awesome music in my video was done by Charlize. Check out his other stuff if you dig it!

Ok, I’m here to answer any questions or talk about aweome creature/puzzle ideas!

[ Edited: 19 November 2012 05:57 PM by DF Burger ]
 Signature 

@floatvoid

Posted: 19 November 2012 05:38 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-11-03

May be just me, but I think the link to the picture is not working. (It just says: compilationz.jpg)

I am curious what a puzzle(-sequence) might look like. It’s dificult to tell from this description alone.

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

Thanks for the tip Dimitri! The post is fixed now.

As for the puzzle sequence, think Zelda dungeons, except instead of an overworld, you’re in space. The space stuff is light- mostly just some menu screens inside your spacecraft as you choose a planet.

After you choose a planet, you’ll end up in a series of ‘rooms’ not unlike a zelda dungeon, or if you’ve played The Binding of Isaac, similar to that. One thing I haven’t mentioned much is the action element, which I’ll be getting to soon with some concept art and text update. The idea is that some evil robots are capturing and destroying these creatures, so you’re showing up to save the day. You’ll be fighting off various robot enemy types while working your way through each planet. In this sense, a ‘planet’ is analogous to a dungeon in zelda. Each planet has a creature to rescue at the end. Once you rescue all the creatures of a certain type (Sandwiches), you’ll acquire the ability that goes along with that class of creature. Now, you can use this ability in further planets to progress through puzzles.

Did that clear things up? If you have any more questions, shoot!

Signature 

@floatvoid

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-03-23

The critter concepts are kind of already selling me on this. The earth one is so genius.

The puzzle part is really hard for me to get my head around. Is it like Metroid where there’s a handful of upgrades, or is it like Pokemon where you are just TRIPPIN over critters left n right? Are you supposed to come back to old levels later to find and unlock more creatures?
Lookin forward to the action abilities and more examples though!

[ Edited: 19 November 2012 07:11 PM by TomBrien ]

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:22 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-11-03

The art is awesome. Inspirational. Much better Pokemon(-carricatures) than anything after first generation…
What would be procidural and what would you design individually?

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:26 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

Ultimately, if this were to ever make it into a full game, I would love to have a procedural dungeon generation system for replayability. Something that uses a pool of hand-made rooms and arranges them to create a unique layout - not unlike The Binding of Isaac. I’m a huge roguelike fan, so this stuff fascinates me. Normal roguelike tropes, like permadeath and item identification don’t really fit into the type of game I’m trying to make here, but replayable levels are a huge thing.

I think for the scope of a 2 week demo, it would probably be more realistic to hand build a few levels instead of attempting a full on procedural system. Two weeks is not a whole lot of time!

Signature 

@floatvoid

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  502
Joined  2008-12-12

I love the absolute ridiculous concept art. Why would a sandwich besmeared with honey be any good as a creature? Who cares? Does it have to be reasonable? Just turn food into creatures! Or planets! The fantastical doesn’t know any limits, does it? smile

[ Edited: 19 November 2012 07:35 PM by Acorino ]
 Signature 

Ex-member of the Double Fine Defense Brigade.
==================================
Follow this link to watch my video playthrough of Little Pink Best Buds.
WARNING: ALL of the potatoes are included!

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-11-03

With the ability unlocks, do you envision it like unlocking the boomerang in zelda, or something like that? And like TomBrien asked, would there be a random chance of finding the creatures around the dungeon, or would you have to finish a dungeon to get to the creature?
- It all sort of feeds into your scope: If you need to collect several type X “pokemon” to unlock ability X and the pokemon can only be found at the end of the dungeon, you would need to make dozens of levels for the demo to be presentable. You cannot do that by hand, but you could make a fairly simple level-generator from premade objects and enemies. But to get complex puzzles in that would probably not be mangeable in 2 weeks. (However I don’t know how many people are on the project and how comfortable they are with working 2 weeks non-stop.)

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-19

Hi everyone -

I created the theme song for CritterVerse and just wanted to offer the free download of the track from my Bandcamp page

http://charlizerockmore.bandcamp.com/album/critterverse

Hope you enjoyed the music and please indulge in my other tunes while you’re there!

Thanks -
Charlize

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

Are the creatures sort of like collectibles that yield bonuses when you collect all of one type (planet)? Or do they contribute to gameplay in some other way?

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:13 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2012-03-23

This is an interesting idea, and I’m going to vote for it, but whichever game wins I want Burger to be involved as a voice actor and/or narrator.

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

WKJzD.jpg

I drew some evil robots! These are the common enemy you’ll fight on each of the planets. They have garrisoned themselves in various areas - their machinery and tech will serve as a common gameplay element. Switches, doors, turrets, bad guys, etc.

Signature 

@floatvoid

Posted: 22 November 2012 01:17 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-02-10

I’m still browsing but I have to say that the video that went along with the pitch was just brilliant!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!