Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 4
KAIJU PILEDRIVER Official Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: Brad Muir

In KAIJU PILEDRIVER, players take the role of giant rubber-suited monsters and wreck the %#$@&! out of randomized corporate cities!  Players choose from several Godzilla-inspired monsters to battle evil mayors and their gigantic corporate henchman.  Eat people and other delicious things to keep your stomach full so that you can continue rampaging through the city.  Choose new Mutations like radiation breath and eye lasers as your monster levels up.  Randomized city layouts, mutations, and enemies make KAIJU PILEDRIVER a deep, replayable experience!

[ Edited: 16 November 2012 06:54 PM by DF Greg ]

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  509
Joined  2011-09-28

Here’s the official KAIJU PILEDRIVER logo!  :D!

Image Attachments
KaijuPiledriverLogo.jpeg

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:18 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28

Hey guys! :D!

I’m super excited at the possibility of making KAIJU PILEDRIVER!

I’ve always wanted to make something that’s inspired by Godzilla movies ever since I was a kid.  My parents would go out sometimes on the weekends and I would babysit for my little brother.  We would always go to this video store nearby in the evening and rent something on VHS.  We always went to the same place (Fast Forward Video represent!!!) and we would almost always rent Godzilla flicks!  This also the somewhat weird benefit(?) of forming a connection between Hungry Howie’s Pizza and Godzilla.  :D!

Anyway… the idea of making a rad game set in the rubber-suit-flavored world of Kaiju is so ridiculously appealing to me.  If you guys have any questions about the game I’ll be doing my best to check here and on twitter (@MrMooEar)!  Hopefully you guys are on board for this thing!  :D!

Love,
Brad!

[ Edited: 18 November 2012 08:26 PM by DF Brad ]

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:23 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28

Ok I thought I would post the two page design write up here in case you didn’t download the PDF on the website!  Check it out!  :D!

Project Lead:  Brad Muir! @MrMooEar, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Bio:  Brad Muir has been at Double Fine for almost 9 years.  He started as a Gameplay Programmer on Psychonauts, transitioned to Design on Brütal Legend, and most recently was the Project Lead of IRON BRIGADE!

Elevator Pitch:  KAIJU PILEDRIVER is a Godzilla-inspired roguelike action game that puts players in control of a giant rubber-suited monster terrorizing cities across the globe!

Team Size  10 handsome individuals!  :D!

Game Description
In KAIJU PILEDRIVER, players have their choice of several different monsters, loosely inspired from Japanese monster movies like Godzilla and Gamera.  Pick a monster and get ready to destroy the %#$@&! out of some buildings!

Rage against the randomly generated city and destroy as many buildings as you can.  Once you’ve leveled enough of the city you can move on to the next one.  But the city’s mayors are the worst kind of bureaucratic %#$@&!!  In order to stop you they’ll send in all sorts of randomized obstacles: helicopters, artillery strikes, jets, nuclear weapons, tanks - even the local police.  When things get really bad they’ll call for their corporate “heroes” - giant asinine brawlers inspired by Ultraman and the Power Rangers.  Battle these jerks using a simplified wrestling system – it feels pretty good to piledrive that BottomLineBot right through a building!

Keep your stomach meter up by eating citizens, garbage trucks, fruit stands, and other delicious things in the city.  A monster’s gotta eat and you’ll slowly start to deteriorate if you don’t keep your stomach full!  As you eat things you’ll earn Mutation Points.  You can spend these on randomized upgrades like sharper claws, horns, radiation breath, spiked plating, eye lasers, bat wings, etc.  You never know what the Mutation System is going to offer, making each playthrough unique!

Death is inevitable in KAIJU PILEDRIVER, but it’s all part of the fun.  Once your monster is eventually overrun by the annoying forces of good, you’ll be able to pick a new character from the roster and try again!

Love,
Brad!

*Art and Logo by the amazing Mike Haney! .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
©Copyright Double Fine Productions™ Inc. All rights reserved.

Image Attachments
CityBattleSmall.jpg

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:10 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2012-04-25

This has to be my favourite entry. (Not to say the others aren’t awesome too!)

I LOVE rouge-likes and i love Godzilla, what better thing could there possibly be?

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-23

How different is this game from just regular Rampage? The pitch sounds like it, with some upgradeable elements on the caracter itself.

What kind of game is it? Top down view of the city with you wreaking havoc? 2/3 view, isometric style, like the 3D rampages?

Are you just making the Doritos free game from XBLA where you control the monster as opposed to the Doritos delivering trucks? :D

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-07-28

You had me at “Kaiju”, but lost me a bit at “rouge-like”. Then again, if we can maybe customize our kaiju ala Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, I see double promise.

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-05-11

What sort of scale with the game be played at? Are we going to be taller then all of the buildings (Godzilla), or somewhere in the middle (Rampage games).
Basically, what I want to know is, will we be able to climb buildings and punch windows to grab office workers for a snack?

Posted: 19 November 2012 05:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2012-04-11

godzilla rpg sounds like the best idea ever. it could go to psychonauts level of craziness in the look and levels and still feel perfect in the world.  I want this more than any other of the prototypes.  %#$@&!…what about godzilla in space with gta / elder scrolls style sandbox and rpg stuff.  no thats too much for this world to handle

[ Edited: 19 November 2012 05:07 PM by jasondesante ]

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:21 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-03-23

The size of the buildings is make-or-break for me here. If they’re big enough for me to climb over, or jump off of, or to make them collapse ONTO a guy, then thumbs up.
but if I’m just like waddling through em all at knee-height and they’re all falling over, then that’s one boring game.
I guess something you’d have to really figure out is how to make a city that animates its destruction well, cos outside of like Red Faction Guerrilla, people seem to have a really hard time with that.

Also I’d like to EAT A POWER-PLANT TO MUTATE INSTANTLY, if that’s possible.

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2012-03-13

This game is probably my favorite pitch so far! Taking the Roguelike formula and swapping the fantasy theme for Godzilla movies is a stroke of brilliance. I really hope we get to see a prototype!

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-03-23

My favorite pitch, I hope it makes it!

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:04 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28

Hey guys!  Thanks for the kind words and excitement!  I am really stoked to take a crack at a prototype for this game!  :D!

The scale has been my #1 issue in this game.  Originally I was thinking more about a standard 3rd person over the shoulder camera - basically trying to take Lungfishopolis and turn it into a roguelike with randomized elements.  But after talking to some people they really recommended going with an isometric view and having it feel more like King of the Monsters - and I totally love that game!  And then I think there’s just about anything in-between.  But yeah - the scale is the #1 issue to solve on this game!  I would really like to hear some more feedback on it!

The real core of the idea:

*Kaiju rubber suits!
*Roguelike randomness!
*City destruction!
*Randomized upgrades!
*Permadeath!

Thanks guys!  I’ll check back in the morning! :D!  Thanks for your support!

Love,
Brad!

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2012-03-14

I like a lot of things about this pitch, the notable exception being inevitable death. I’ve always found this mechanism to be kind of a bummer, especially when paired with an upgrade scheme. No matter how well you play you always know that the end is coming and when it does you have to start over from scratch. This kind of setup usually keeps me from wanting to jump into another round right away because it somehow feels like the work I’ve just put in was lost (it’s a similar feeling to accidentally closing a game without saving). Why not just let the player smash the world and return to their home planet (or whatever ending is appropriate)?

Inevitable death when coupled with high scores also leads to another problem that I feel hurts a game’s longevity. After playing a game a bunch of times trying to set a high score I usually feel compelled to work out a routine for the first few minutes of gameplay. The routine is designed to maximize my score and if I mess up any the steps (e.g. miss a power up, take damage, etc.) I reset and start over. This style of gameplay, while effective for setting high scores, usually causes me to get burnt out on a game pretty quickly.

Also, did anybody think it was weird that Veronica was apparently naked when Tim was putting her body in the box at the end of the introductory video when we so clearly saw her wearing an orange long sleeve sweater earlier? I know I did until I did some research and found out that in the games industry it’s SOP to strip a corpse and sell their belongings for cash.

Posted: 19 November 2012 09:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-03-30

This was one of my favorite pitches, it sounds really fun. Good luck! smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:14 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-03-23

Y’know what, I guess over-the-shoulder would make for a really difficult camera.

I’m confused on the art- is it bad special effects, like model-buildings and men covered in cardboard boxes to look like robots, or is it ACTUAL MONSTERS?
Cos I feel like for there to be mutant nuclear spikes growing out of people, it’d have to be real monsters.

Anyway I am really enjoying putting “Kaiju” into google images. There’s great potential here for some really %#$@&! dumb voice acting.

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:32 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-03-23

YEAH HUNGRY HOWIE’S PIZZA! WOOO!

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2010-07-20

Just say Godzilla Spelunky and I’ll vote.

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

Yeah, that permadeath is tough to do. Even Spelunky couldn’t draw me in. If levels were really fun and that action was batshit bonkers, it’d be worth it. Like the games of yore.

I’m imagining 90s tuneage. The battle music from Power Rangers was great.

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:32 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  1789
Joined  2012-03-26

From a fast observation, this sounded like the most fun to me which you can pick up quickly, if done right.

Spacebase DF-9 sounded appealing too, if the Aliens are doing a nice mixture of typical human like and alien like things.

Same as Black Lake, if the adventuring and story parts are strong.

[ Edited: 20 November 2012 03:40 AM by taumel ]

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28

GODZILLA SPELUNKY!  :D!

Man I love that game!  That game and FTL are my main reasons for wanting to delve into the roguelike space!

My one critique of Spelunky as a roguelike:
There are zero starting options!  One of the things I love about oldschool roguelikes is the vast array of starting options.  If you die as a Dwarf Warrior you can try again as a Mummy Wizard and the game has a completely different mechanical feel from level 1.  I think it really mitigates the pain of permadeath!

Imagine having a deep run in KAIJU PILEDRIVER with a Godzilla-esque lizard monster only to die in Tokyo.  :(  You can start over and take a Rodan or Mothra type flying monster and have a very different experience! :D!

DF Greg - 20 November 2012 12:15 AM

Just say Godzilla Spelunky and I’ll vote.

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28
JSoup - 19 November 2012 02:35 PM

You had me at “Kaiju”, but lost me a bit at “rouge-like”. Then again, if we can maybe customize our kaiju ala Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, I see double promise.

Man I love Stone Soup!  That was the first roguelike that grabbed me!  :D!

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:45 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28
Rain_1 - 19 November 2012 02:16 PM

How different is this game from just regular Rampage? The pitch sounds like it, with some upgradeable elements on the caracter itself.

What kind of game is it? Top down view of the city with you wreaking havoc? 2/3 view, isometric style, like the 3D rampages?

Are you just making the Doritos free game from XBLA where you control the monster as opposed to the Doritos delivering trucks? :D

I have not played that Doritos game!  I’m off to youtube!  :D!

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:54 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2011-09-28
TomBrien - 19 November 2012 06:21 PM

The size of the buildings is make-or-break for me here. If they’re big enough for me to climb over, or jump off of, or to make them collapse ONTO a guy, then thumbs up.
but if I’m just like waddling through em all at knee-height and they’re all falling over, then that’s one boring game.
I guess something you’d have to really figure out is how to make a city that animates its destruction well, cos outside of like Red Faction Guerrilla, people seem to have a really hard time with that.

Also I’d like to EAT A POWER-PLANT TO MUTATE INSTANTLY, if that’s possible.

Red Faction Guerrilla is one of my favorite games this generation!  And I love the idea of eating a power plant for an instant mutation!

As for the size - it’s a tough problem!  I don’t think the monsters would be so big that the buildings are knee-high to them.  That does sound pretty boring!  But are the skyscrapers as tall as them or a lot taller?  Hopefully we get the chance to figure that out!  :D!

Brad!

Posted: 20 November 2012 08:58 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2012-03-14
DF Brad - 20 November 2012 08:45 AM
Rain_1 - 19 November 2012 02:16 PM

I have not played that Doritos game!  I’m off to youtube!  :D!

That Doritos game was surprisingly pretty fun for a free advergame. 200 gs in 15 minutes didn’t hurt, but I actually played with my roommate beyond that. Too bad it was delisted, although I hear that it’s like a trial in that it doesn’t attach to your account, so people who have it can easily share it with friends.

Anyway, the real issue is that this game isn’t high enough in the rankings. Did you people see the dinosaur hat? What else do you need?

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-05-11

On the topic of monster to building scale, I think you should look to Rampage, seeing as you want the monster to be able to pick up people and eat them, and a vast majority of the enemies are going to be people and not massive mecha or supers…

The smaller scale (imo) gives far more room for experimentation with destruction… being able to push over buildings onto a group of tanks on the other side… or picking up a food cart to throw at that helicopter that just won’t leave you alone.
I’d also love to see scale being variable depending on the monster you choose to play as.
Play as a giant gorilla who is 8 stories tall, pushing over buildings, and throwing cars… or a fire breathing chameleon who’s only 2 stories tall, but can climb, breath fire, and use stealth to get in behind the enemy and surprise them.

Man I love this game idea! wink

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 4