Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Silent But Deadly Offical Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  344
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: Duncan Boehle

You are the sole IT worker in the deepest basement of a massive office building, and after eating a burrito that’s been sitting in the fridge for too long, you soil your pants. An incriminating cloud of gas surrounds your body as you walk, so in order to escape the building without being caught, you’ll have to be stealthy. You can utilize the office equipment using your IT skills, and you can also control the fluid simulation of gas around you to fool coworkers.

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-03-30

By the way, this is the really rough pre-prototype I mentioned in the pitch video: http://www.notranslation.com/files/smelly/.

It only has a few mechanics and some really crude programmer art, but hopefully it gets the basic idea across!

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:31 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-11-03

It certainly gets the idea across and I think the art is actually very fitting. It gets the story and emotions across, but does not show so much that it would hurt to look. You are still detached enough to be able to bear it and it is not disgusting for the sake of being disgusting.
Personally I would not want to play it, because I feel too sorry for that guy. I guess it’s a question of whether you like Kafkaesque scenarios.
I think it’s an idea worth exploring, but I would not pay for it. I think you could make a very interesting and complete game out of this, on your own. Maybe grab a designer for the level/puzzle-design. The walls could look a bit nicer and there could be some more set-dressing, but that’s about as far as I would change the art.

Posted: 19 November 2012 07:33 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2012-11-19
DF DoctorBürly - 19 November 2012 01:17 PM

By the way, this is the really rough pre-prototype I mentioned in the pitch video: http://www.notranslation.com/files/smelly/.

It only has a few mechanics and some really crude programmer art, but hopefully it gets the basic idea across!

To anyone reading this: you should really play it, it’s quite fun (and funny as well)!

Signature 

BAD GOLF 3! 2015!

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-03-30
DF DoctorBürly - 19 November 2012 01:17 PM

Wow, that was actually really fun, even at the state it’s currently in, you’ve definitely got my vote. I did have a few ideas after playing it though, like that it could be cool if you could actually attack the people searching for you. For example, when you fart multiple times in front of a fan, it could actually knock out the bosses/co-workers. I liked the poo part of it, even though it’s unrealistic, it added another interesting dimension/strategy, but the poo could also be used to maybe disguise your own smell. Also, instead of a shower or along with it, you could maybe include cologne/perfume bottles, that would give the character a french bath and alter your stink for a bit. One more thing, I’m not sure if they should be so active in searching you out, or rather it might be interesting to have different types enemies, co-workers that are more passive but will still search out your smell, and bosses that actively search it out and run at you. Actually, I have one last thing, I’m sure it’s not too present in the pre-prototype, but the game would be awesome if there was more humor as there’s a lot of possiblities for jokes here.

Overall, that little game gave me a a lot of fun, so thanks for posting it and good luck. smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-30

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

... I feel too sorry for that guy. I guess it’s a question of whether you like Kafkaesque scenarios.

I totally agree with you, and I think while the 8-bit tears add a good amount of humor, I have gotten a lot of feedback about people not wanting to play as a total loser. I think a key aspect of a real prototype would be expanding on the motivation and context - it could be a nice, clean guy who had a really unfortunate accident, and he’s using his wits to outsmart mean coworkers. Right now, the levels are short and hard enough that it feels more like the main character is constantly getting berated and humiliated, and that doesn’t always feel fun.

cologne/perfume bottles ... different types of enemies ... more humor

That’s exactly what I was going for with this pitch smile The stereotypical office parody is a goldmine for the types of characters in this game - there could be germophobes who always run away, neat freaks who hunt you down vigilantly, smelly coworkers who you can use as moving cover, jaded clerks who you can convince to shelter you, security brutes who can be defeated with enough stink, etc. And the writing was my favorite part of the pre-prototype, so the internal monologues and ramblings of the coworkers could definitely be ramped up.

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-03-30
DF DoctorBürly - 19 November 2012 10:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

... I feel too sorry for that guy. I guess it’s a question of whether you like Kafkaesque scenarios.

I totally agree with you, and I think while the 8-bit tears add a good amount of humor, I have gotten a lot of feedback about people not wanting to play as a total loser. I think a key aspect of a real prototype would be expanding on the motivation and context - it could be a nice, clean guy who had a really unfortunate accident, and he’s using his wits to outsmart mean coworkers. Right now, the levels are short and hard enough that it feels more like the main character is constantly getting berated and humiliated, and that doesn’t always feel fun.

cologne/perfume bottles ... different types of enemies ... more humor

That’s exactly what I was going for with this pitch smile The stereotypical office parody is a goldmine for the types of characters in this game - there could be germophobes who always run away, neat freaks who hunt you down vigilantly, smelly coworkers who you can use as moving cover, jaded clerks who you can convince to shelter you, security brutes who can be defeated with enough stink, etc. And the writing was my favorite part of the pre-prototype, so the internal monologues and ramblings of the coworkers could definitely be ramped up.

All of that sounds great, thanks for the response.

Regarding the first part of your comment, it could mess with the game, but your Avatar could have food poisoning, but they have a phobia about defecating in the bathroom at work, so they’re trying to escape the building and drive home while they’re uncontrollably farting. Then if they’re caught they crap their pants in horror, which makes it even worse for them. smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:25 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-30

Well there are plenty of great writers here at Double Fine, so the story could still go in any number of directions! I was personally saving the mysterious burrito as a plot device for escalating the situation to be even more intense.

You might have escaped most of the secretarial floors of your office building, but what happens when you try to escape the government sector? Why are you still so unnaturally smelly? Perhaps that burrito contained some biochemical agent that some would try to use for evil… You are a living weapon, cursed by society by your smell, crippled by angry bowels, and now hunted by unknown powers.

Think about it.

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-07-22

Toilet humor is so much fun. The early prototype is very interesting and I think this could be a great game. The workplace environment is also a goldmine and with awesome art, it could make for a super funny adventure!

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  708
Joined  2008-01-10

Do you see the overhead view as integral? I’m just trying to imagine walking around an office in a 1st or 3rd person perspective, making use of stealth the same way the demo does but with less insight into the smell’s radius.

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2012-03-24

The prototype was hilarious, I think this could be a great game. Doody humor is fun sometimes!

By the way, has anyone here ever played Don’t %#$@&! Your Pants? This gave me a similar poop-vibe

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-03-30

Do you see the overhead view as integral?

I think I would still stick with top-down 2D for the prototype, since it would allow the scope to stay small (no 3D assets or camera debugging), and it would preserve the classic stealth game feel. But even if I had unlimited resources to make a smell-based stealth game, I’m not sure 3D would lent itself that well to the types of spatial puzzles that the gas simulation created. It seems like it’s a bit easier for people to predict how gas flows in 2D than in 3D, so that might make levels too hard to design or beat.

But you have a good point about the player not necessarily knowing exactly where the smell radius is - I think this could be made up for by having some more advanced AI that has more sensitive smelling, or certain areas of the office where your smell lingers longer. My very first iteration of the game had the smell rendered as a smooth gradient, but that made it way too hard for new players to figure out the subtleties of avoiding coworkers - so there’s some balancing to be done in that area for sure.

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-03-23

This crappy prototype even LOOKS disgusting, it’s really of selling me on the idea.

I was really surprised when I straight-up shat on the floor; both in terms of how they enemies behaved and how low I had sank as a human being.

[ Edited: 20 November 2012 01:48 PM by TomBrien ]

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:57 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  4311
Joined  2007-09-04

Your game clearly needs Zelda-like poop puzzles. You get different stench-making abilities, which allow you to progress. There, I dropped the Z-word FOR you.

[ Edited: 20 November 2012 03:04 PM by Chief Wakamakamu ]
 Signature 

Pineapple.

Posted: 20 November 2012 07:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-24

You had me at “Fart jokes”.

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-11-20

Alright, poop jokes sold me. And that prototype was hilarious.

I’m not sure how this will be a full-fledged game, though. Some of the planned extra features/humor are nice but there’s something to be done so that the game didn’t fall to 5-minutes fart jokes! Unless you planned it that way lol.

Posted: 21 November 2012 02:48 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2012-02-13
DF DoctorBürly - 19 November 2012 11:25 PM

Well there are plenty of great writers here at Double Fine, so the story could still go in any number of directions! I was personally saving the mysterious burrito as a plot device for escalating the situation to be even more intense.

You might have escaped most of the secretarial floors of your office building, but what happens when you try to escape the government sector? Why are you still so unnaturally smelly? Perhaps that burrito contained some biochemical agent that some would try to use for evil… You are a living weapon, cursed by society by your smell, crippled by angry bowels, and now hunted by unknown powers.

Think about it.

My thought is that perhaps an alien being takes over the worker (perhaps teleported by mistake into its body). That alien creature unfortunately has a stench aura. The worker tries to get it to a place where it can remove itself (or call its buddies to help). The benefit of this (apart from being more palatable) is that the alien creature can have abilities beyond what a smelly human being has, from controlling the shape of the stench cloud for limited periods to extra sensory perception. And of course this also brings in government agents, which are always a good joke target.

Posted: 21 November 2012 12:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Double Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-24
DF DoctorBürly - 20 November 2012 01:12 PM

Do you see the overhead view as integral?

I think I would still stick with top-down 2D for the prototype, since it would allow the scope to stay small (no 3D assets or camera debugging), and it would preserve the classic stealth game feel. But even if I had unlimited resources to make a smell-based stealth game, I’m not sure 3D would lent itself that well to the types of spatial puzzles that the gas simulation created. It seems like it’s a bit easier for people to predict how gas flows in 2D than in 3D, so that might make levels too hard to design or beat.

But you have a good point about the player not necessarily knowing exactly where the smell radius is - I think this could be made up for by having some more advanced AI that has more sensitive smelling, or certain areas of the office where your smell lingers longer. My very first iteration of the game had the smell rendered as a smooth gradient, but that made it way too hard for new players to figure out the subtleties of avoiding coworkers - so there’s some balancing to be done in that area for sure.

I really love the idea. At first I just laughed at the sillyness but after seeing the prototype I realised how much potential that game has.
You could for instance stand behind a ventilator to direct your smell at other people or through vents in other rooms. But I personally would love to switch to a isometric view kinda like this:
YdkN5.jpg

This would allow you (in my opinion) to add way more depth and details to the game. I think it’s essential to see the faces of the player and the guys! smile

But anyway: Amazing Idea! smile

Posted: 21 November 2012 09:43 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  545
Joined  2012-03-23

I love this concept. It’s happened at least once to everyone else, right?

...Right?

Posted: 21 November 2012 11:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-24
SirDregan - 21 November 2012 12:56 PM

But I personally would love to switch to a isometric view

This would allow you (in my opinion) to add way more depth and details to the game. I think it’s essential to see the faces of the player and the guys! smile

I’d like to second this idea, but I also see the value on the top-down perspective. Maybe a tactical minimap (Olfactory Radar?) could be implemented? That way we could still have the advantage of the easily understood top-down display, but also have a better look at the characters and environments. Alternatively, perhaps a dual-screen approach? Possible Wii U / 3DS applications?

Not that I think an orthographic top view would be inadequate for this project, or that it would make it any less awesome, I just think there could be some value in experimenting with different player perspectives.

Posted: 23 November 2012 02:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Royal Flush
Total Posts:  643
Joined  2012-02-13

Played through the full minigame you made so funny.

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2012-04-05

That was hilarious.

Posted: 25 November 2012 06:00 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-11-24

The concept for this game is hilarious, you have my vote! And this fart gif.

tumblr_lpgp2dTtEO1qb7nmoo1_r1_400.gif

I need to do my work & this game is terribly addicting :( HELP

[ Edited: 25 November 2012 06:02 AM by emirizilla ]

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!