Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 4
The White Birch: Voting Discussion Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:49 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: Andy Wood

The White Birch is an ambient platform exploration game in which a young girl climbs a tower to escape a dark and malevolent forest & reach the prize hanging in the branches of a lone white birch tree growing high above. The game will have a similar atmosphere and feel to games like Ico and Journey and will be designed to encourage and reward repeated playthroughs by the use of alternate endings and different prizes hanging from the tree. The tone and story of the experience will be evocative and open to interpretation.

Posted: 16 November 2012 06:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-11-16

Checkin’ in. Come on WB!

Signature 

I’m on Twitter @bucktarbrush

Posted: 19 November 2012 04:00 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-03-12

Voted for your game! It seems like it would have a great atmosphere. smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 04:19 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-22

And my AXE…

Sorry I mean my VOTE smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 04:34 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

Thanks! Every vote is much appreciated.

-A

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 05:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  928
Joined  2012-03-24

I liked the sound of this!

Smiles

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-09-19

I think Andy should narrate it. He has a pleasant voice.

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:39 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  809
Joined  2008-01-10

‘Open to interpretation’ is the best part, and the games to which you compare this pitch are among my favorites. Quiet, rich experiences.

What do you imagine for gameplay? The mention of Limbo leads me to think it’ll be a 2D game with limited movement options, and I also worry it’d be too similar to that. It’s the unique qualities of the central character that makes them interesting to follow along in their stories.

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-20

You got my vote Andy. It’s a really interesting concept. I’d love to see it flourish into a full game.

-G

Posted: 20 November 2012 07:10 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-23

I voted for this as it sounds right up my alley. I’m curious though, do you plan to do it in 2D or 3D? Is it entirely based on the budget you’re able to get?

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:13 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

Hi everyone, thanks for the interest and thanks for voting.
I imagine the game in 3D rather than 2D like Limbo in terms of view and movement but I want to explore what we can do with the gameplay in the confines of a space like the Tower interior. The bigger question I see is whether the camera would be free or more like the semi-fixed cameras from Ico. I liked the type of puzzle that Limbo had, just not the punishing brutality of the difficulty setting. =)
I want this to be a game that puts out the hand and helps you along - I want a player to finish this and then want to start it right back up again just like I was with Journey. The different endings should be the reward for that but I want the player movement to just feel good enough that you enjoy the moment to moment of the traversal.
If that makes any sense….
As for budget; I have no idea at this point. There’s still a *long* way to go with the AF voting for starters. Don’t want to count my chickens just yet.
Thanks for the confidence vote though!

Best

-Andy

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2012 10:28 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-03-23

I am super excited for this game, and really hope it wins!

Andy- was the piece of art in your pitch video a good example of your vision for WB’s art direction as a whole? (it might be too early to answer this) Are there any specific pieces of inspiration that you’re using for WB’s visual identity?

Posted: 20 November 2012 11:33 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

The piece of art we used in the pitch - painted by the super talented Derek Brand - is more of a mood and tone piece than a serious art target. Both of us were busy on another project at the time of that piece and he took some of my thumbnail sketches and put together that for the pitch. I’m still not sure how the exterior of the tower or the forest should look - I’m considering snowy winter outside rather than just a nighttime scene for eg.
I’ve been thinking a lot about games like Vagrant Story and other games of that era for look and style, also the animated movie The Secret Of Kells. Both have elements I like rather than an overall “make it look like this” style. More than anything I want the visuals to be simple, spare and minimal along with everything else but I like pretty games so I’ll have to find the balance. I’m trying to think in those terms more than anything - if an element isnt’ advancing the look or the gameplay I want to leave it out
The girl I want to develop in the style of the French illustrator called Bengal. Derek and I are both big fans of his work and his character designs.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2012 11:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

Here’s the extra info from the PDF on Kickstarter for everyone:

Project Codename The White Birch

Project Lead Name Andy Wood

Project Lead Bio Andy Wood is the art director on The Cave with 16 years experience making games, including several Tomb Raiders, two Maximos and a whole bunch of other old stuff you’ve never heard of.

One Sentence Pitch The White Birch is an ambient platform game in the style of Ico or Journey in which a young girl climbs a tower to escape a dark, hazardous forest.

Team Size for AF 6

A young girl wakes in a clearing in the forest; ahead of her is a crumbling tower overgrown with Ivy that climbs high above the dark woods towards the sunlight. An Owl drifts back and forth between the tower and the darkness of the trees. Following the Owl the girl begins to climb…
The White Birch is an ambient and moody, vertical platforming/exploration game in a similar vein to Ico or Limbo. The main character is a young girl who can clamber and climb her way up to the top of the mysterious Escher-like puzzle tower. At the top is a lone White Birch tree with a single prize hanging from its branches.
The game should be a mood game – slower pace than an action platformer with a melancholy and ambient soundtrack and tone; somewhere for people to put on their headphones and lose themselves. The game is a short (< 4 hour) first playthrough but encourages repeated playthroughs by the use of alternate endings and different prizes hanging from the tree depending on the play style of the individual and the path taken through the climb. The puzzles are physics based exploration: ‘find the way out of the room’ style puzzles rather than lock/key or collection puzzles. The tone and story should be opaque and open to interpretation – the Owl is loosely a guide for the girl’s path through the tower from the danger of the forest towards the sunlight and the tree, the different endings and prizes reflect the play style and infer meaning towards the purposes of the girl’s climb.

©Copyright Double Fine Productions™ Inc. All rights reserved.

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2012 08:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  885
Joined  2009-11-01

Any thoughts about combat, enemies and death so far? I liked the toned down combat in Ico, with the character just having a stick and fire to fight the enemies, but I know that a lot of people disliked it, and maybe that´s a bit more punishing for the player then what you´re aiming for with this?

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2012 11:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16

Combat so far I think is mostly along the lines of natural enemies - animals and birds that are manifestations of the forest during the climb. Fairly simple stuff to fit with the ambience.

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 02:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2012-02-14

The beauty of puzzle system of limbo was that everything felt really intuitive. You never got stuck anywhere to long(well unless you died a billion times because of wrong timing).

If you can get that to work in this setting, in my mind you really have a great basic to continue

Signature 

Amnesia Fortnight 2012! Voted for: Spacebase DF-9, KAIJU PILEDRIVER, The White Birch & Black Lake
Amnesia Fortnight 2014! Voted for: Dear Leader, What Could Go Wrong, Steed & No More McDonalds

Posted: 22 November 2012 02:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-24

The reason I voted for this game is pretty simple really. These types of stories, especially in gaming, are always the most rewarding to me. A game like Passage has stuck with me for far longer than the games that are effectively puzzles in the form of violence delivery that I play all the time.

Posted: 22 November 2012 07:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2007-09-11

I excitedly voted for this and see a lot of potential here, but it seems a shame to me that combat is a given. Moody and atmospheric exploration-based games seem the perfect candidate to look for other ways for the player to interact with, and be challenged by, an environment and its inhabitants. We can have engaging and challenging experiences in life without hurting things or being hurt by them so I think the same is equally true of simulated experiences, if we can think outside of deeply ingrained game industry habits. Of course, I understand that it’s more of a challenge from a design perspective! Fight or flight scenarios are probably the easiest to create and engage a player with because they represent human beings at our simplest, most animal level (and most broadly relatable\understood, I suppose), while higher forms of interaction are deeper and more complex. Just some thoughts after reading the thread. I’ll be interested in the game regardless smile

Signature 

. mus

Posted: 22 November 2012 09:23 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-11-16
edit - 22 November 2012 07:42 AM

I excitedly voted for this and see a lot of potential here, but it seems a shame to me that combat is a given. Moody and atmospheric exploration-based games seem the perfect candidate to look for other ways for the player to interact with, and be challenged by, an environment and its inhabitants. We can have engaging and challenging experiences in life without hurting things or being hurt by them so I think the same is equally true of simulated experiences, if we can think outside of deeply ingrained game industry habits. Of course, I understand that it’s more of a challenge from a design perspective! Fight or flight scenarios are probably the easiest to create and engage a player with because they represent human beings at our simplest, most animal level (and most broadly relatable\understood, I suppose), while higher forms of interaction are deeper and more complex. Just some thoughts after reading the thread. I’ll be interested in the game regardless smile

Good points all! I agree with your fight or flight analysis, I’d rather not have a lot of traditional combat either. The vulnerability of the lead is a salient point to the whole concept isnt it? IF she’s too much of a badass it breaks the game. I still think we need some tangible threat without going *quite* as far as saying combat is a given though. there has to be a push and a pull to drive you upwards through the game.
Thanks!

-A

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 10:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2007-09-11

Thanks for the response, I like your angle and am all the more interested. The idea of an “evocative” and “open to interpretation” tone and story, as mentioned in the video, is especially appealing to me as well.

Signature 

. mus

Posted: 22 November 2012 11:46 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Dr. Action Poster, Esq.
Joined  2012-03-24
DF Andy - 22 November 2012 09:23 AM
edit - 22 November 2012 07:42 AM

Good points all! I agree with your fight or flight analysis, I’d rather not have a lot of traditional combat either. The vulnerability of the lead is a salient point to the whole concept isnt it? IF she’s too much of a badass it breaks the game. I still think we need some tangible threat without going *quite* as far as saying combat is a given though. there has to be a push and a pull to drive you upwards through the game.
Thanks!

-A

It coud be an idea of building on avoiding rather than combat.
When i was young i played a game which i cant remember the title of. ( I think it was a C64 game)
But you were a woman nearby draculas castle, where ghost, skeletons vampires and such lived.
Whenever an enemy or dangerous thing aproached you, the heart beat faster and faster as the ghost or whatever got closer and you had to find a way to get away and trap the ghost or whatever.
If you failed and let the ghost get too close, you simply died and had to start all over from the start.

Another idea is to have some kind of an item with limited use
like the camera in project Zero/fatal frame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame

[ Edited: 23 November 2012 07:17 AM by Lodium ]

Posted: 22 November 2012 03:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-03-05

You were able to get my imagination going with a few images and your nicely delivered description.  (And your very wizardly beard.)  There’s not much more to say except I can’t wait.

Posted: 22 November 2012 05:54 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2012-03-23

+1 Approvation Post.

Go with the ICO vibe, absolutely!

Posted: 23 November 2012 12:34 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-03-23

Awesome, good luck!

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:54 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-22

Hopefully this project will beat “The Last Guardian” to production…

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 4

Concept Art ››