Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Double Fine High Official Thread
Posted: 16 November 2012 05:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2010-07-20

Project Lead: Panya Inversin

Imagine playing a head-to-head puzzle fighting game on iPad as Raz from Psychonauts against Sweet Justice from MMoJ!  In Double Fine High, players from competing high schools smash tiles on a grid playfield to win the round.  Satisfying “tap to smash” gameplay gets players interested, but complex linked swipe gestures give experienced players an advantage.  Double Fine High is inspired by the competition-based gamplay of puzzle fighting games past such as Super Puzzle Fighter, Magical Drop, and Bejeweled.  And all set in the drama and story-filled universe of Double Fine’s games!

Posted: 19 November 2012 05:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-11-03

2 things:
1: Not everyone has an iPad. Not everyone wants an iPad. (And most people don’t really need an iPad.)
2: Reusing characters from other games in new and unrelated games is always problematic. You run into the danger of upsetting the people that love these characters and have (nostalgic) memories attached to them. Even if your game is great, it might fail, because people expect something that is more like the nostalgic thing they have come to love.
It’s been shown time and again, that reusing characters/names for different projects can be ruinous.

Posted: 19 November 2012 05:26 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  941
Joined  2012-04-06

On the iPad note: This probably should have been made more clear, but all of the prototypes will be for PC. Panya’s pitch refers to what the eventual target platform for this game would be if it went into full production. But for the two-week version, it’s PC.

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Fine
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-06-11

Yes!  As Chris said, the AF version is PC-only.  Ideally it would be a tablet game, since it’s intended to be played head-to-head.  But the PC version would be equally enjoyable.

As far as revisiting Double Fine characters, the goal of Double Fine High is to expand on their personalities, and how they all interact with each other.  This game builds upon their already awesome worlds, and creates new stories with the same hilarity!  OR MORE.

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-03-23
Dimitri - 19 November 2012 05:13 PM

2 things:
2: Reusing characters from other games in new and unrelated games is always problematic. You run into the danger of upsetting the people that love these characters and have (nostalgic) memories attached to them. Even if your game is great, it might fail, because people expect something that is more like the nostalgic thing they have come to love.
It’s been shown time and again, that reusing characters/names for different projects can be ruinous.

For what it’s worth, I completely disagree with this.  As an example, I am completely fine with all of the places Mario is used.  I also love things like Smash Bros, Marvel Vs Capcom, etc.

I think the pitch could use some more fleshing out, but I like it.  In particular I’m curious to know more about the puzzle game play.

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:18 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-03-30

This looks interesting, but I’m not sure how difficult it’d be to achieve the different moves. Also, would there be different modes, like story mode, a zen mode, and whatnot.

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:36 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-03-23

Yeah I’m totally down with re-purposing DoubleFine characters. They’re all comedy games anyway, and the Eddie Riggs concept art is hilarious.

A game where you match colours though? I dunno. I wish there was more to it. The theme is really fun.

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:06 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo was frantic. If this game is designed anything like that it’d be great fun.

I also think tablets are a good choice. This is the sort of thing I’d prefer to play on train rides or while I wait for laundry to complete.

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:37 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-11-03

Sorry, I guess my comment sounded quite mean. It wasn’t meant to be.
I’m glad that the projects will come out for PC. I understand why you would limit releases to ipads, but it’s a disappoing to those, who don’t have such a device.
The comment on the characters was meant as a friendly cautionary tale. Personally I could live with it, but I can think of projects that earned a lot of critique for doing such a thing. I think Mario works for many different games, because he is not actually flashed out. He is more a maskot then an a real character. He is also an avatar, in the sense that everyone identifies with him through acting through him.
Raz has a distinct humor and personality. He also exists in a very fleshed out and deeply defined world. Taking him out of the context of his world, makes him weaker and less interesting as a character.
I’m just trying to be helpfull by giving another point of view. Eventually, the characters that represent you in an action-puzzle-game will have very little impact on the fun of the game (compared to the gameplay).

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-06-11

Thanks for the comments guys!

I should describe the gameplay, since it’s not explicit.
Every game board consists of only two colors, corresponding to the two players. You can just tap a tile to “flip” its color, or “drag” across your colors in a certain motion to smash them.  Every character has his own set of motions, which results in a SWEET ASS animation of the character doing that.  When tiles are smashed, the center “battle bar” is moved across the playfield into the other player’s territory, giving him less and less area to work with.  Once that battle bar hits the other side, the game is over.  This reverse tug-of-war should give some really competitive moments.  Like all game development, the details of the mechanics will come from lots of experimentation and iteration.  But once that core mechanic is solid and fun, then we’ll build off that one… adding bombs, combo multipliers, power-ups, or even some tag-team action like in Capcom vs. SNK games.

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (SPF2T) is a great example of the gameplay’s competitive nature, and also a perfect analogy to how Double Fine characters would be shown:  they’re in the background battling, but there’s no direct control and they serve as avatars for the player’s health.  A lot of those cosmetic details will be decided during development, but this game would in no way ruin the rich history of what already exists.  In the same way that SPF2T doesn’t ruin Street Fighter’s characters, we may just have younger, cute versions of our characters… or maybe we’d just make all new characters from those games’ universes.  Or, like Super Smash Bros, the characters are identical clones from their original games.  A lot of that is TBD after very careful consideration.

For the final product, there would be a few different game modes, all sewn together with a rich story that only Tim can create.  For AF, there’s only time to do a head-to-head mode.  This brings up a very important reminder… two weeks isn’t much time to make a game.  However, if there isn’t something captivating about the game in two weeks, then the core idea may not be strong enough.  But, the goal is to find a strong hook or pillar to build on.  And that’s the real magic of Amnesia Fortnight. smile

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:11 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2012-03-24

It sounds like a fun idea! I’m surprised it’s not more popular!

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Double Fine
Joined  2012-06-11
BENJA - 20 November 2012 12:11 PM

It sounds like a fun idea! I’m surprised it’s not more popular!

YOU AND ME BOTH, BRO.

haha

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-03-24

I love street fighter puzzle and magical drop and love the concept of using df characters. However i thought your video lacked some explanations on what the actual gameplay would be like.. There are already many puzzle games out there, and not all of them are fun, so i wished for a bit more explanation on that

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-03-23
Dimitri - 19 November 2012 05:13 PM

2 things:
1: Not everyone has an iPad. Not everyone wants an iPad. (And most people don’t really need an iPad.)

Well, he wants to make it for iPad, so….

Posted: 21 November 2012 06:52 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  499
Joined  2012-02-13

While it’s not a game that really caught my eye, I wanted to say that I think it’s fine to make it a mobile game (personally I prefer Android, but I realise iPad is a much bigger market) and that using characters from other games can be cool, and I even suggested that for Redbot.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!