Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Frustrated - How To Start A New Mission
Posted: 01 December 2012 05:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-12-01

Greetings. I purchased the game a few months ago. I was frustrated with the game interface at so many levels. My most immediate is how to start a mission. Here is what I try to do: I go to the Colonel (I think that is him) and select a mission. I go customize my mech. I keep getting messages my mech is not fully equipped. I go back, I finally after I get it equipped by guesswork, I exit. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find or initiate a mission after I equip my mech. I have done it before, as I have played three, but it is such a unintuitive process I cannot figure out where the start mission button appears. I thought it appeared after I customized my mech.

I feel this is a great game when I am actually playing it. But for the love of God fix the interface. I am playing on the PC version. Can somebody help? 

Thanks.

Posted: 01 December 2012 06:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2837
Joined  2008-07-29
Speeed - 01 December 2012 05:46 PM

Greetings. I purchased the game a few months ago. I was frustrated with the game interface at so many levels. My most immediate is how to start a mission. Here is what I try to do: I go to the Colonel (I think that is him) and select a mission. I go customize my mech. I keep getting messages my mech is not fully equipped. I go back, I finally after I get it equipped by guesswork, I exit. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find or initiate a mission after I equip my mech. I have done it before, as I have played three, but it is such a unintuitive process I cannot figure out where the start mission button appears. I thought it appeared after I customized my mech.

I feel this is a great game when I am actually playing it. But for the love of God fix the interface. I am playing on the PC version. Can somebody help? 

Thanks.

When you accept the mission and go to your mech on the very bottom there should be a big flashing icon that says Launch!!. Also you can start missions with out the recomended loadout.

Signature 

Street passin brah

Posted: 02 December 2012 11:25 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-12-01

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems one needs to click on the entire mission selection window screen to select it. A button that says “Accept Mission” makes much more sense by far and is more intuitive.  Seems like an odd design choice, even for a console.

I do appreciate the reply and I would like to emphasize that despite my criticisms (sorry - one more: please let the player skip through the scripted events at the beginning of each mission. It takes forever to exit a game once one realizes there is no chance to win the mission or have the incorrect load-out selected) I am enjoying the game.

Dr.ROBOTUSSIN - 01 December 2012 06:50 PM
Speeed - 01 December 2012 05:46 PM

Thanks.

When you accept the mission and go to your mech on the very bottom there should be a big flashing icon that says Launch!!. Also you can start missions with out the recomended loadout.

Posted: 02 December 2012 06:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  553
Joined  2012-03-01

The whole “Flashing button” thing made it easy to see for me, but I understand how some might not see something simply because it is located somewhere different from their expectations.

Signature 

I’m just one guy though

Retired July 26, 2012. Returned to the frontlines August 16, 2012. (Retired again since game is dead :/ But it was GREAT FREAKING TIMES! :D )

Posted: 02 December 2012 06:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-12-01

Yes.

My problem as I did not know to click the entire mission select window with the Colonel. There is not “select mission” button or whatever. The entire image of the map needs to be selected. There is not prompt, or confirmation. Once that is done, the player needs to go to the mech outfitting, outfit the mech, and then select “Begin Mission” or something like that.

The button to start the mission was not where I expected it to be. Especially so without any direction.

Of course once I saw the flashing ” Flashing button” I selected it to begin the mission. The problem was how to get there. I still maintain the interface is too confusing. I don’t think you understand the problem I had. I am thinking you wanted to chide me over not being able to see a blinking button. I saw that, the problem was figuring out how to get there. I thought my post communicated as much.

Redphienix - 02 December 2012 06:03 PM

The whole “Flashing button” thing made it easy to see for me, but I understand how some might not see something simply because it is located somewhere different from their expectations.

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2837
Joined  2008-07-29
Speeed - 02 December 2012 06:39 PM

Yes.

My problem as I did not know to click the entire mission select window with the Colonel. There is not “select mission” button or whatever. The entire image of the map needs to be selected. There is not prompt, or confirmation. Once that is done, the player needs to go to the mech outfitting, outfit the mech, and then select “Begin Mission” or something like that.

The button to start the mission was not where I expected it to be. Especially so without any direction.

Of course once I saw the flashing ” Flashing button” I selected it to begin the mission. The problem was how to get there. I still maintain the interface is too confusing. I don’t think you understand the problem I had. I am thinking you wanted to chide me over not being able to see a blinking button. I saw that, the problem was figuring out how to get there. I thought my post communicated as much.

Redphienix - 02 December 2012 06:03 PM

Well it’s kinda hard to both understand you and help you with words when this is a visual problem. If your not busy I could help you in game, specially if you ahve the PC version.

Signature 

Street passin brah

Posted: 03 December 2012 12:12 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  553
Joined  2012-03-01

Once you select the map it appears on the corner of the screen as you wander the ship as confirmation that you selected that map. Also the entire ship lights up and plays a ‘deploy’ sound effect as it waits on you.

Again, not the ‘norm’ but I feel it’s pretty efficient at showing you that you have selected a map. (Not to mention the first mission making you select a map and then explaining that you check the trench before departing).

Glad ya got it working :3

Signature 

I’m just one guy though

Retired July 26, 2012. Returned to the frontlines August 16, 2012. (Retired again since game is dead :/ But it was GREAT FREAKING TIMES! :D )

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!