Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
2 of 2
Spacebase Prototype Feedback
Posted: 18 December 2012 07:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Super Action Beard
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2012-03-24

I’m not sure what to think of it, played it for over an hour but can’t say very much since it really seems like an early prototype with only the bare-bones to what could make a good game. I’ve extended the base towards the “black” zones and mined some asteroids and found two bases with people on them that apparently joined my crew, but as far as I can tell there’s no real “goal” there yet.

The games it reminded me most of were “Space Colony” and “Startopia”, which can both be gotten on GoG and since they’re fully built games I’d rather play those for a lengthy amount of time raspberry

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/space_colony_hd

51722_full.jpg
Space Colony reminds me the most of the kind of gameplay Spacebase DF-9 is going for, it has different kind of civilians that all have their own jobs and natural predispositions to them (like Maintenance, Doctor, Scientist) aswell as their own separate personalities, the building of additional “modules” like Engineering or Sickbay handle very similar and there’s a “Peaceful” as well as a “War-like” campaign for both types of play, it recently even had a HD-Re-Release.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/startopia

Startopia resembles more of the idea of what they were going for by building a Space Station.
The blurbs from GoG kinda display that it’s also very similar raspberry

- Nine primary character races, each with a unique look and function. Each inhabitant is an individual character, with unique moods, desires, personal history, and humorous character animations.
- Fully functioning alien society, with racial animosity and friendships, crime and punishment, leisure and entertainment, and dynamic functioning economy.
- Bio-deck with editable landscape and manageable ecosystem gives you complete control of terra-forming.

1839984-startopia.jpg

I totally loved that game back in the day and was hoping for something similar for a while. You got more people on your space station by expanding the opportunities for the alien races and their specific predispositions and you could unlock new “areas” of the station by opening up other sections as the game goes on.
Although some of the later missions I believe centered more on warfare and the likes.

[ Edited: 18 December 2012 07:33 PM by Dexter ]

Posted: 18 December 2012 08:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2837
Joined  2008-07-29

%#$@&! YA STARTOPIA!!!!!!

Loved it so much I actually bought a copy. It was only $10 on amazon. God damn that game is great and holy %#$@&! THAT BIODECK MAN! Once you realize when this game was made it really blows your mind how crazy it is. I mean this game had a LOOOT of depth to it.

Signature 

Street passin brah

Posted: 19 December 2012 05:19 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Action Forum Master
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2012-11-27

It is past midnight. I am sitting at home in the dark, listening to a video game podcast, Spacebase still running in the background. Spacebase - still running.

Like everyone else, I have a pile of big, flashy hot GOTY type of video games waiting, which I would like to play over the holidays. Yet, I enjoy watching *my* little dudes, running around in 1x 4x 8x 34x speed and see what they come up with. See, if there is some SpaceFace notification I have not seen yet. See, what kind of random map will be thrown at me the next time around. Pausing immediately the game, when I hear Chris Remo’s alert loop.

spacebase-breakthrough_zpscd69b5f6.jpg

Say Lem worked his ass off, to build this really long floor to the unknown alien Spacebase, only to die after finishing it. “User created stories” - told through the power of game mechanics & a functioning game world.

There is no need for me to repeat the Good, the Bright and the Unfinished. This prototype is a successful proof-of-concept of what a potential full game might be. The devs knew exactly what they were doing. There was a clear idea behind this. Bold. Ambitious. Following the latest discussions of the game dev community, this sort of game, hits all the ‘right’ beats. It is interesting to ‘them’. The prototype turned out to be something also many of ‘us’ - on the other side of the AF Twitch streams - would happily see developed for real.

spacebase-df9-big_zpse62b0f9e.jpg
Jackpot! “Docked” to another shi… Spacebase.

The question remains - will it be picked? This type of game, the depth, the scope, would differ from other DF projects? It lends itself for continuous upgrades/updates. It is hard to see - as a dedicated PC gamer - how this could be anything else but a niche PC game, which means, “small audience”. Yet the combination of complicated game systems, which need to be heavily playtested and balanced AND the unique art and humor DF can bring in to this game, would make it a very promising title?

... for different platforms? This could also be a great handheld game? iPad? iPhone?!

I don’t follow “social games”, nor Facebook games, but I could imagine this in such an environment? There could be a social “hook” to this game, if they would implement the necessary mechanics? Suddenly the niche PC game sounds more interesting from a business side?

spacebase-thewanderer_zps21621d58.jpg
Think of Online. What if you could see other players messages in your game? Or send them yours? Think of Twitter. Think of Wii Universe. Think of Animal Crossing. Also think of language filters!

There could be different versions. Of course, this would need resources. Maybe one platform after the next. But, this prototype shows p o t e n t i a l - that’s what it had to do. And it did.

My own useless comments aside, I agree with everything Arodin said in the first post of this thread.

Signature 

“Ok. Let’s go, do that.” @DerekLBrand Feb 28 #AmnesiaFortnight 2014. #BestGameDevQuotes

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-12-04

I spent a lot of time with this game, but I am guessing there was some last minute changes to the AI that made it harder to play than in the AF videos.  It seems that the characters get sick too often, there’s not enough of them to make up for the ones that have died to get anything done before the next disaster/murder, etc.  But who knows - maybe its my computer and how random numbers are being generated…

Its sorta a fun game, but needs more balance - I probably spent a few hours trying to get a decent outcome - saving often and backing up the saved games, etc, but I guess I was hoping to have a game close to what was shown in the video, but could never quite get there for the reasons I posted here.

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:24 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2011-03-08

most of the game play stuff i noticed has been said on page one, though i would like more say in whats built in a room. or to tell them what the most important job, like that hole into space that whats his face just walked out into.

a bug i noticed, once you zone a room and then they build something, say in a corner, and you put a door and try to expand the stuff built dose block the sims from getting there, and just stand there, no way of scraping stuff built in a room.

also once every game, usly at the start 2 people will end up in space and not on my base, they will just stay out there and often become sick, i think they become next in line and everything stops because they cant come back.
also last game i got a murder. over 1/2 of my crew were held hostage (they would not come back though that area to the mane base.) hahaha

Signature 

i’led like the flag on there back to be like fog
motto:
“By this hill I will stand.”

luck(doge+crit) & Def stat+

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:30 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2011-03-08

just thinking that the secret may not be the murderer seeing as everyone has had it, i did spot an thing but forgot to pause the game and everyone died wile i was away from the computer. so i was unable to build towards it….quite possibly just a glitched tile form the lab. but i had not built one at the time of finding.

Signature 

i’led like the flag on there back to be like fog
motto:
“By this hill I will stand.”

luck(doge+crit) & Def stat+

Posted: 18 October 2013 11:18 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
That Kid in High School Whose Parents Were Out of Town a Lot
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2007-09-12

Wow, I haven’t been on these forums for such a long time. Personally, I’m very happy that DF-9 brought me back.

That said - maintaining the scrubbers on my space base has become my worst nightmare. Even when all my crew but the barman are tasked as technicians, they can’t seem to get it together to keep the atmospheric units from catching fire. I will happy to see some upgrades that make these fragile life support units more rugged in the future.

Now, my sprawling matter-kingdom crashes the game every time I try to launch it.
Looking forward to the next patch at the moment, so I can drown my crew in more spacebeer.

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2013 05:38 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  1447
Joined  2012-03-26

I can’t comment on the prototype but looking at some of those screens…

Why should someone build a 2D space station in 3D space?

Especially at those sizes it doesn’t make any sense.

Posted: 26 October 2013 07:51 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-10-17
Arodin - 14 December 2012 09:28 PM

No Fighting.

I disagree with this one. The biggest appeal to these type of games for me is the survival and rogue-like aspect. Meaning that at any point in time I could get invaded by aliens and I might end up with half of my ship destroyed and many of my guys dying a horrible death if I’m not well prepared for it.

If this becomes just a building sim in space and there’s never any danger or treath, it might become quite stale very fast for me.

In my opinion it should be about both maintaining a operational base with a society of people living aboard and trying to avoid a innevitable doom.

Posted: 26 February 2014 10:01 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-02-23

This was suppose to be a new thread but w/e

So im a big fan of city building and business mangament games, i ‘ve played almost everyone there is .  Recently I found out about this game and finally got to test it out, there were some things that I liked and other things that I didn’t. Everything that I’m going to write is just my OPINION.

I think the game is focusing too much on the simulation aspect while neglecting completely the management and planning, don’t get me wrong, simulation in these kind of games is great and adds a lot to it but currently the gameplay is kinda nonexistant as it’s basically focused around the random events, there are no losing conditions outside being wiped by one of them .  Even in simple games such as sim theme park , rollercoster tycoon and zoo tycoon where the main appeal was to allow the player to build whatever they wanted, the player still had to respect certain rules to become profitable by first above all designing an efficient layout then manipulating the attractions duration and speed, higher speeds would deteriorate the ride faster, place minigames and shops at the right spots, lower or raise the quality and price of the prodcuts,etc. There is no such a thing in Starbase currently, you can build and do everything right off the bat with the exception of things that need research but even then research doesn’t cost anything other than time, the player needs to have rules to adjust to and obstacle to work around, otherwise he is going to get bored and not accomplished when he finishes his station

Here are my suggestion that I think would improve the game:
(again this is only my opinion)

UI

-Move the confirm and refuse buttons to the bottom of the slider, if by accident you miss back you are going to hit cancel which will delete everything you just did

-Divide construction tab in two, structures (walls floors, doors, rooms) and objects (everything else)

-Demolish and erease should be in every building related tab, if you palce an object and want to delete it you have to hit back twice, in the long run it becomes daunting.

-Implement two buttons, undo and redo . If you misslciked and placed a wall you didn’t want to, you have to erase it but then when you do it , it also deletes the floor which then you have to rebuild. It would be nice to have these tools to track the last 3 things you did

-Make the build related submenus slide horizontally and not vertically

-Replace the refinery tab by industrial. (i’ll explain later)

-Add a new management window where to include beacon mining and other things that I will explain later

RESOURCES

I find the current matter system to be limited and insuficcient ,it’s basically cash in the sims games, you get it and then you can buy whatever even magical food which appears from nowhere

-Add new resources, metals, bacteria or organic matter, water, deuterium

-Matter blocks or whatever they are , should get replaced with asteroids. Asteroid would enter your map randomly and of course there are going to be some when you start , they could just stay at some point in the map or the player could need to stop it with the miners in order for him to extract resources. This way the player gets infinite resources but in controlled amounts

-Metal is used to build stuff in the station, metal has different tiers. More advanced objects require higher tier metals which would be more expensive and scasrce, rooms/doors built with higher tier metals are more resistant

-Frozen bacteria or organic matter (or something like that) would be collected by the miners and used as “Fuel” for the Food replicator, used as fertilizer and also used for the production of vaccines and medicines. Food coming out of nowhere is kinda a big deal after all you are in the middle of the space, it makes no sense . To process the organic matter you would need to build a new machine similar to the refinery, to turn it into medical related materials a separate machine should be needed. Magaging food production and consumption would be really neat and it would be something the player has to consider when taking in new people. ideally the player should end up cultivating the food in their own garden or acquiring it by trading.

-Deuterium would be obtainable directly from certain Ice commets

-Water would be collected in form of ice from Ice commets too. The water could also be turned into deuterium with yet another machine in emergency cases.

-No food, water or electricity for too long = death, revolts, etc

-Each zone has it’s own abundance of the different resources, that way trading becomes important and not just a way of getting things that would need to be researched faster, or the research themselves

BASE BUILDING

-Remove the glows (blue for life support, purple for the bar,etc) the contrast of the colors can interfere with the design the players have in mind (it did for me at least), i would suggets implementing lamps with colored bulbs that you can turn on or off or outright removing the glow and just giving the walls a different pattern. It would be neat if later we had the option of chosing different paintings or types of floor like in the sims

-Allow the players to put 3x3 objects against the walls, there is too much wasted space, the rooms look empty

-Make an oxygen distribution system. Instead of building 1 recycler every 3 members , it would be better to have 1 every 30 or so but that only covers a certain extention. The player should design a vent system to distribute efficiently the oxygen, if the player overextends then some rooms won’t support more than x number and if you drain all the oxygen it would take y amount of time to refill. The system should also serve to make a quarentine zone for when someone caughts a contagious disease, the player should be able to redirect the vent system and close it at certain parts to prevent it from spreading. Rooms not connected to the system get no oxygen

-Implement an storage room type where to put all your resources. It doesn’t need people carrying the stuff there or from there. It would be neat if raiders tried to get to it and steal your stuff, the player would have fun designing his defenses

-Implement an industrial room which would replace the refinery, all resource producing machines would be allocated here.

-Implement robotics room, in this room engineers (new job) would be able to build upgrade and reprogram robots. If the engineer is not happy or is insane he may turn robots into kill bots (?)

-Hospital where to treat pacients and do medical related research, doctors/biologist (new job) would be able to practice autopsies on dead raiders to learn its weaknesses for example

-Power generator room. The electricity system would work similar to the Oxygen distribution system.

-Implement some sort of “beauty” system like in old sierra city buildings where you had to build decorations to increase the appeal of a neighborhood, maybe if you don’t build enough your citizen become depressed

Posted: 26 February 2014 10:03 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2014-02-23

Moved

[ Edited: 26 February 2014 10:17 AM by Michael Garibaldi ]

Posted: 26 February 2014 10:16 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2014-02-23

Moved

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

2 of 2