Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 2
DF Game Club: Police Quest 1
Posted: 02 January 2013 08:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2012-03-13

G’day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 5th January, we’ll be playing through Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel (Police Quest 1) and discussing what we do and don’t like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net (if you’re not sure, just click this link to access webchat from our stream page). The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Syd will be streaming the game at the later time of Saturday 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone), that’s 1:00PM PST. If anybody is interested in assisting with streaming, please let us know!

Previous game: Sissy’s Magical Ponycorn Adventure

5th January, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): First game session (Stream 1) and general discussion (Log)
12th January, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): Second game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)
19th January, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): Third game session (Stream 3) and general discussion plus dev chat with Josh Mandel (log)
26th January, 9:00pm UTC (click for your timezone): Final game session (Stream 4) and general discussion plus dev chat with Josh Mandel (log)

Next game: Time Gentlemen, Please!

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

250px-Police_Quest_1_cover.png

Synopsis:
See daily police life through Lytton police officer Sonny Bonds’ eyes, and investigate the drug lord known as “The Death Angel”.

Where to play online:
GOG.com (Windows, DRM free)

Note for Linux and Mac users:
Police Quest 1 can be played natively with ScummVM, and is listed as having 90% compatability.
———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:
IRC Server:  irc.foonetic.net
Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 04 January 2013 09:19 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2012-10-13

It’s gonna be interesting to play this game again. Been a couple of years since I last played it. smile

Signature 

Downloadable, DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 04 January 2013 10:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2012-03-12

I’ve never played (or watched someone else play, for that matter) any of the Police Quest games, so this should be interesting. smile

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 04 January 2013 12:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2012-02-14

The original or the VGA remake?

I remember playing through every unforgiving moment of these police procedural games…  Great stuff (hope you have the manual)!

Josh Mandel co-designed the `92 remake, if anyone felt like trying to get him to stop by the chat (might be reachable through the Replay Games site).

Interesting choice—I’ll try to come by!

Posted: 04 January 2013 01:16 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  554
Joined  2012-03-23

One of the first adventures I played. It has a special place in my heart.

Posted: 04 January 2013 02:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

The Police Quest series is probably one of my favorites. smile

I will be playing the VGA remake, don’t know if it’s possible to get the original anymore or if it’s playable on a modern OS.

Just tried it a bit and it seems that it isn’t made for 1920x1080. smile Think I’ll have to lower my resolution tomorrow.

Bare with me if I don’t remember all the puzzles, been a while since I last played it. smile

Signature 

Downloadable, DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 10 January 2013 07:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

Hey everybody, the stream archive andchat log for the first session are up.

An interesting game so far (I’ve not previously played)!!

For anybody who hasn’t spotted the other thread, we’ve put together a 18 question survey asking people for their thoughts on Game Club to help us work out how to approach 2013.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 12 January 2013 02:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ve started! Come join us!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 15 January 2013 01:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

So what do you guys think of the game so far?

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2013 06:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

I’m pretty impressed. It seems to fit the bill of being a police life “simulator” whilst balancing well between a stereotypical cheesefest and an overly dramatic plot.

It seems to use a scrolling verb interface (click through to get to the verb you want - a-la Sam & Max: Hit The Road), which I find a little cumbersome. With a text interpreter (once you get the hang of their vocabulary, the Sierra ones really aren’t that bad), or a verb button interface, you can go straight for what you want, where as with the scrolling type, you’ve got to move through all the stuff you don’t want.

I’m interested to see how things develop from here.

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2013 07:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-03-12
Cheeseness - 18 January 2013 06:05 PM

It seems to use a scrolling verb interface (click through to get to the verb you want - a-la Sam & Max: Hit The Road), which I find a little cumbersome. With a text interpreter (once you get the hang of their vocabulary, the Sierra ones really aren’t that bad), or a verb button interface, you can go straight for what you want, where as with the scrolling type, you’ve got to move through all the stuff you don’t want.

Maybe it has hotkeys to get to specific verbs (I know Hit the Road had them, but I didn’t use them too often when I streamed it. W would bring up the walk cursor, U the use cursor, etc).

Anyway, I may play Police Quest for myself someday. It looks like an interesting blend of adventure game and simulator.

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2013 07:40 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Royal Flush
Total Posts:  615
Joined  2012-02-14

Why the hell are we not doing Under a Killing Moon yet?

Posted: 18 January 2013 08:19 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-03-13
Frogacuda - 18 January 2013 07:40 PM

Why the hell are we not doing Under a Killing Moon yet?

A good and fair question (though unnecessarily confrontational :b ).

The most recent Game Club planning thread is here, but it’s currently only available to DFA backers (Game Club used to be backer only). Due to having only a few people willing to stream, we’ve tried to focus on games that our current streamers are interested in (the next two games we have scheduled are Time Gentlemen, Please! and Sam & Max: Culture Shock), but if you’re able, post some ideas/suggestions in there smile

Judging from the results so far from our 2012 survey (which is still open for another week and a bit), it looks like we’re going to open up planning to be more participatory.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2013 08:06 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13
Syd - 18 January 2013 07:03 PM
Cheeseness - 18 January 2013 06:05 PM

Maybe it has hotkeys to get to specific verbs (I know Hit the Road had them, but I didn’t use them too often when I streamed it. W would bring up the walk cursor, U the use cursor, etc).

Anyway, I may play Police Quest for myself someday. It looks like an interesting blend of adventure game and simulator.

Don’t think there are any hotkeys for this game. I’m using the right mouse button to scroll through the different options, think it works quite fine though.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2013 12:41 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Forum Commander
Joined  2012-10-13

One of the co-designers of the PQ1 VGA remake, Josh Mandel, will be joining us for todays session.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2013 01:06 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2012-02-14
Fireflower - 19 January 2013 12:41 PM

One of the co-designers of the PQ1 VGA remake, Josh Mandel, will be joining us for todays session.

It should be noted that Josh Mandel is pretty awesome—He’s leading the Leisure Suit Larry remake with Al Lowe currently, worked on Space Quest 6, Freddy Pharkas, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Dagger of Amon Ra, and many others at Sierra & beyond.  Really cool he’s stopping by!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 2