Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 14
Tim’s Excellent Juice Recipes?
Posted: 22 January 2013 06:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Psychomaster
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2012-03-25

So according to Tim’s twitter he’s already 20+ days into his juice fast. I can’t imagine that he’s drank the same recipe all 20 days. So hey Tim, could you write back with your favorite or at least better-than-tolerable juice recipes? Healthy eating Double Fine fans want to know.

Posted: 22 January 2013 07:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2012-03-12

He said on Twitter that he was going to make a post in the forum about his juice fast soon, so he’ll probably give us the details in a few days or so.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Papo & Yo
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:15 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2007-08-31

Okay, I’ll post all my juice SECRETS!

But first, here’s the deal. I’m on a juice fast. No, it’s not the “Celebrity Juice Fast” as lampooned by Penn and Teller. It’s a healthy GREEN juice fast where I eat nothing except fruits and vegetables in juice form. Mostly vegetables.

I saw a movie called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and it inspired me to give it a try.
Check it out! It’s on Netflix instant streaming.

It’s about a guy who’s my age and overweight and goes on a 60 day juice fast to get better. Along the way he meets an even bigger guy, and that second guy’s story was so inspiring, I just had to try it.

So, to prove that I’m very suggestible, I bought the same brand of juicer that’s in the movie. Not the same exact model though. It’s a Breville Juice Fountain, and I love it.

I mostly drink the Mean Green juice that they drink in the movie. It’s pretty good!

But I’ll admit I get a little sick of it some times. So at night I switch to a more tomato-based juice. I’m trying to recreate V8 in my house right now, starting with this recipe. Messing around with the amount of onion in it because it easily gets too strong. Also, too much beet and you can’t taste the tomato. And I’m adding things like parsley and basil. Basically I’m trying to trick myself into thinking I’m eating an Italian dinner.

Those are actually the two main juices I do. I supplement with fruit juices some times for fun, Like Pineapple/watermelon/ginger.

But I’m looking for more! Please share some of your favorites if you’re trying this out.

Please, this isn’t a thread for doubters. I’ve heard all the arguments for why this diet doesn’t work, or why some other diet is better. That’s awesome. You guys go do some other diet. This is the thread for people who are interested in juicing! I’ve been on it 21 days and I’m down over 25 pounds. And I feel super healthy and energetic.

So let’s hear it for JUICE!

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:33 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-02-09

I’m not particularly au fait with this weight loss things being the kind of person who might blow away in a strong wind, but I’m curious as to why it’d be an advantage to drink juice as opposed to making a salad composed of the same ingredients? It seems like it’d be a little easier to convert as you’d avoid the “I’ve stopped eating real food” feeling that I’m guessing would make starting this kind of diet difficult.

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:34 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-08-31

Hang on…
...need to go look up, “au fait.”

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:38 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-08-31

Got it! smile
Okay, well, the main reason is you wold have to eat four massive salads a day and you’d probably sprain your jaw doing it.
Think about sitting down and eating six whole, long leaves of Kale, a cucumber, four stalks of celery, two green apples, etc. And then imagine doing that several times a day. I don’t think I could!

So instead I juice it all up into a pint glass and slam it down and I’m on my way.

Also, the fact that there’s a hard and fast rule is what makes it easy to follow, not hard. I don’t eat any of the candy in bowls around our offices because I don’t eat ANYTHING.

I’ve never ingested so much Kale in all my life. But that’s awesome.

Any my 4 1/2 year old daughter, who won’t eat ANYTHING, loves this juice. So I have to make extra for her. Now she’s eating Kale.

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:39 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  3628
Joined  2012-03-24

I’m not on the juice fast myself, but a friend of mine and his lady are both on one and are really enjoying it a lot. He was telling me at work yesterday that they made a spicy, bloody-mary-esque drink with kale that they both found delicious.

I’m not sure if this is the exact recipe they used, but he described the ingredients to me, and this looks similar enough:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/the-kale-mary-kale-juice-tomato-celery-recipe.html

Signature 

Recently Played:
WAKFU
Ni No Kuni
Final Fantasy 7
Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-08-31

Horseradish? That’s crazy!
Yet, I must try it!

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:53 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Tim Schafer's Secret Lover
Total Posts:  12691
Joined  2010-06-14

the problem is that you’re not going to drink only juice for the rest of your life, right? you’ll start eating solid foods again and those damn m&m’s will become tempting once more. how are you planning on coping with that? just plain willpower?

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:58 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum's Mother
Total Posts:  4259
Joined  2008-01-05

I would sooo do this, but i don’t think it appeals to me right now, as i need a lot of protein to maintain strength, and get stronger for football. (they don’t play around with that diet in college).

Mayyybeee if i drink the juice, but also supplement with a protein shake every day? I’m not sure how it’ll affect my strength/energy and all that.

Hmmm…

I would like to drop about 20 pounds though. And 25 pounds in 21 days, Tim? thats excellent!

Looks like i’ll do some reading on how this affects strength building and stuff like that.

The energy boost that would come with this type of diet is definitely something i would love. i feel so drained all the time lately.

Signature 

Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.

XBL gamer tag: zeeman645

Add me on Steam: zeeman645

I did not keep my promise of always being here. I have failed you all. i am sorry. that is all.

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:59 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-08-31

Definitely when I come off of it I will be moving into some new plan. Just plain willpower never worked for me before. So I don’t think the juice fast is the final solution. It’s just puts me in a much better starting place for kicking off a healthy lifestyle.

Posted: 23 January 2013 01:00 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Psychomaster
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2007-10-18

Tim I’m so glad you’re embarking on such an extravagantly limiting but potentially healthy diet - just remember if you’re deficient in terms of nutrients such as protein, don’t hesitate to cook yourself a lean steak or something… but yeah my favourite juice is Oasis pineapple/mango - it’s got a lot of glucose/fructose (possibly even some added :/) but it’s damn tasty - if you can make your own out of some banana puree, mashed up mango and pineapple in your blender you’ll ensure there’s less added sugar and have a tasty and probably refreshing fruit-based sort of drinkie/beverage!

..Just don’t ask that old man in that house you randomly wandered into the other day what you want from HIS beverage selection - I think he’ll only give you h20, even if you’re an awesome game designer! But yeah man have some pineapple/mango juice with banana, it’s kind of like banana puree baby food and we all love that, right? RIGHT? Am I the only one who secretly buys that, claiming if even obliquely prompted that I have a little sick baby daughter at home (preferably adopted), and as I strive to look tired (and maybe succeed) claim she’s kept me up with her cries all night - even tho I’m just going to devour that stuff myself? (I’m single and have no daughter.. xP)

...Really tho, you’ll love this juice flavor infusion (not to sound like some fruity - punnage intended - independent health food company whose juice you found on some dusty shelf full of overpriced and probably slightly oldish specialty juices and miscellaneous beverages..!) So to avoid THAT potential nightmare, try the Oasis for a taste test if the mood strikes you, but if you make your own fresh to your own peculiar tastes it’‘ll be even MORE awesome (:P don’t get me wrong, I love your peculiar tastes! how else would Brutal Legend have been made!! ;D) Post your recipe if you try it!! I’d love to hear your blenderizing process/ ingredient choices! The minutiae Tim! The MINUTIAE! All of it! I must feed!  :D/;P

Posted: 23 January 2013 01:11 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-03-24

Yeah… I was thinking about undesirable health effects…

What about the “rebound” effect? Once you start eating “normal” again you’ll likely be taking at least some weight back again, I think.

Btw, Don’t you have any deficiencies? What about vitamin B12 or just plain old proteins? I guess you’re not trying to gain muscle, but still…
I’m a neuroscientist, not a nutritionist… so what do I know.

what do you think about progressively adding white meat to your “life-sustaining compound”? Once you’re done, obviously.

Btw, I’m (we are) at least expecting a video of you from Day 1 to Day 60 gulping green stuff with some obvious music (Eye of the tiger)

P.S. I speak french and randomly placing “au fait” really does add that “je ne sais quoi”. Images of wine tasting and monocles are popping up in my head.

Posted: 23 January 2013 01:20 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-03-26

I watched the documentary a few weeks ago after you mentioned it on Twitter. It really made me want to give it a try. I damn near bought a juicer one evening. But I didn’t wanna cheap out on one, and a good juicer seems like more that I can afford at the moment, so I left without buying one. If I was to get one, I’d want something that’s built to last. But I’m glad to hear it’s working out well. Hopefully I’ll be giving it a shot soon enough.

Also, I can’t find Kale anywhere around here. It’s not common here. You probably can’t even get it. Never even heard of it until seeing the documentary. From what I can tell, it’s some kind of cabbage.

Posted: 23 January 2013 01:21 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2008-01-10

Jicama adds a nice, subtle taste. I prefer it over stuff that’s too sweet.

It bugged me that standard juicers had such a small juice catch since I create batches for several days. The amount of wasted food was another annoyance. I intend to switch to this juicer as a result:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-juicer/

Posted: 23 January 2013 01:27 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-08-31
VicOfAges - 23 January 2013 01:21 AM

I create batches for several days. The amount of wasted food was another annoyance. I switched to this juicer as a result:

But!
Most places I’ve read said fresh juice only lasts 24 hours, even in a sealed container. I make mine in the morning, bring it to work in a thermos, and drink it throughout the day. The 5:30 glass is definitely different than the 9:00 am glass!

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 14