Hello, everyone. Before the holidays we submitted a new IB PC patch to MSFT for certification and signing. This finally cleared that process and is now live.
For those of you hoping that this fixes the so called “scrap stutter” bug, we are sorry to say that it does not. After extensive investigation, we believe that issue is somehow unique to the signed, release GFWL version of IB PC, a version that is nearly impossible for us to test directly (we lack the signing key required to create these exes). We’ve discussed several possible ways to work around these restrictions with MSFT, but so far have not been able to get the support necessary to actually debug and fully resolve this issue.
With that out of the way, the good news is that this patch does include fixes pretty much everything we are able to improve, including some parts of the network code. Specifically:
* We overhauled the way the game calculates individual player lag, which should address the persistent lagging/stuttering many players experience. In the new logic, players with good connections will have less lag, and only players with worse connectiosn will have more lag. Regardless of connection speed, no player should experience stuttering or glitching.
* We also enabled a new feature called host forwarding. This should address the situations where due to NAT/firewall issues, some people couldn’t join other people’s games, especially 4 player sessions. If two players can’t talk directly, the game will now route traffic through other players. It may not work in 100% of cases, but it should work in, like, 99% of cases.
* We’ve modified the engine so that there should be a lot less kicking/dropping in general, and players with sporadically bad connections will not be penalized nearly as harshly.
* Music and SFX play properly on all systems, regardless of the number of speakers.
* We fixed the glitch that could cause controller lockout if you brought up the GfWL screen while in a non-pause menu.
Aside from the “scrap stutter” bug, the only known serious issue in this build is that if you bring up the GfWL overlay *right* after you get the Victory/Defeat screen, you may get a loss of control scenario.