Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

Game-breaking bugs fixed via save editing
Posted: 30 January 2013 05:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]
Action Newbie
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-01-27

The Cave seams to have many situations where game breaking bugs occur, but thankfully it looks like many of these can be fixed fairly easily thanks to the easily editable structure of the savegames.

Should you encounter any game breaking bug as mentioned on return0’s thread about the Scientist laser door bug (which is the bug which incited me to try fixing my save and where return0 graciously posted my fix while my forum account was getting confirmed) and skwi’s Monk glitch thread, you have 2 options if you don’t want to start a new game (unlocks are preserved even when in new games as stated by DF Justin):

a) Send the save to support AT doublefine DOT com with a description saying something along the lines of “The monk puzzle broke me! My characters were Monk, (Blank) and (Blank) so please fix me!” (Use the characters you had, or I will mock your copy/paste fail.) I’ll then fix your save file as much as I can and send it back to you. There is a bit of a queue for this though, so your patience is appreciated, and kind of unnecessary =) [Shamelessly lifted from DF Justin’s post]

b) Edit the save yourself! No waiting time, pretty simple procedure (which is what this thread is about:

1. Go to C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\Doublefine\TheCave\(NUMBERS) to see your save called “auto.sav”, make a copy of that file as a backup, we will be working with the original file. Since this is very important allow me to repeat:

MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ORIGINAL AUTO.SAV IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG

2. Open the original “auto.sav” in Notepad++ - get it here - (NOT NOTEPAD OR WORD - As mentioned in some of the posts below saving using these editors can cause issues as they by default do not save the file with the correct encoding leading to a save file is incompatible error).

3. CTRL+F and find “CompletedRequirements=”, then search for the ““bubble” corresponding to the segment of the game where your save is at, for example the scientist one is “ScientistBubble_” followed by event names. For the scientist glitch, here is the set of events where the blast door is unlocked, the rocket is on, but the laser door is not unlocked:
ScientistBubble_BlastDoorUnlocked,ScientistBubble_RocketOn

Each game segment has a sequence of events like this recorded in the save to show where you are in the game. Most of the game breaking bugs I’ve seen so far seem to involve saving in the middle of one such sequence, quitting and loading the game after which some glitch occurs and a necessary event does not happen on loading (such as the laser door unlocking in the scientist level even after going down the shaft and back up) or an obstacle reappearing (such as the Monk glitch).

4. If you know the name of the event which is supposed to occur, you can add it to the list. For the scientist glitch, add “,ScientistBubble_LaserDoorUnlocked” after the latest “ScientistBubble_” entry you see (should be the ones in step 3 in fact) then save the modified file. The name of the event refers to what should have happened, of course if you’re stuck at a point without a post-glitch save finding that event name would be an issue (I got this name after doing the steps described from the next point onward in fact), so what you need to do is go back to a point BEFORE the glitch, read on to find out how.

5. Remove the specific events which refer to the state of the level prior to the series of steps you need to redo and are not working. These events are listed in the order where they happen so you can start from the last event in the list then remove them one by one until you revert if you want to test. For example, in the scientist you can restart the launch sequence and redo the hack and therefore have a chance at passing this part of the game normally by deleting “ScientistBubble_LaunchSequenceStarted,ScientistBubble_BlastDoorUnlocked,ScientistBubble_RocketOn” from the save so that when you load the terminal at the top still needs to be hacked!

The above resets the events in the level, you will still load at the position your checkpoint was at. You can revert to earlier checkpoints too by replacing “Cave_(character segment)_CheckpointVolume1” in the save (located earlier in the save file) where character segment is Scientist for the scientist, Intro for the intro puzzle, etc by Cave_(character segment)_CheckpointVolume(number), bigger number for the scientist bug as bigger number refers to older locations in that level, other levels such as the Monk have different checkpoint structure. Just make sure that the events you want to disable are removed as described earlier to ensure you have effectively reverted to that particular section of the event and have a chance at passing the level normally.

6. Load the game and the you can proceed normally.

Now I understand this may seem complex but once you get into it it’s quite simple really, if anyone can supply the names of the various checkpoints and events (I’m still finishing the game so don’t have them all), please post them in this thread and I’ll gladly consolidate all of them on this post until a patch is released to fix these issues.

To avoid this type of glitch the best advice seems to be to complete the entire puzzle between two checkpoints or an entire character segment before saving and quitting the game.

UPDATE:
The Monk Issue is fixed! Any locked out character can be brought in with the rest of your party under the bridge and you can proceed to finish the last section of the level and exit to the master. If you want the achievement with the bridges, just keep the feather then return down the slope and bust that bridge again! (You’d probably need to climb back up afterwards though)

Here’s what this has fix has uncovered:
1. There is another type of checkpoint called a rallypoint, in this case “Cave_MonkBubble_RallyPoint” minus quotes, which is just under the ladder leading to the first monk trial, Cave_MonkBubble_CheckpointVolume3 is the checkpoint at the start of the first trial when you pick up the flowers.

2. The character save data is as follows:
CaveCharacterSaveData{LastValidCheckpointVolumeName=Cave_MonkBubble_CheckpointVolume2;LastControllerID=4294967295;TimeTravelPeriod=kTTP_Present;CharacterIndex=2;CharacterProtoToSpawn=Scientist;}];
Searching for a character to change spawning point is as simple as looking for CharacterProtoToSpawn=(Scientist/Knight/Monk/etc), then editing LastValidCheckpointVolumeName=(name) where name is the checkpoint name, in this case matching it with that of the knight and monk (Cave_MonkBubble_RallyPoint).

3. Pickups are saved in the format:
CavePickupSaveData{LastValidCheckpoint=Cave_MonkBubble_RallyPoint;SpawnDomawin=;AllowPickup=1;Proto=;PickedUp=1;PickupName=Cave_MonkBubble_Feather;}
These are per item and so changing the spawning point should be just editing LastValidCheckpoint, but that does not work as the game gets stuck on loading when attempting to move the knight holding the feather to rejoin the scientist who was at Cave_MonkBubble_CheckpointVolume2

4. CheckpointVolume(number) can be smaller for an earlier area (the checkpoint before the first bridge in the Monk level has number 2 and the later one has number 3), this has led to a revision of one sentence in step 5 for the save fix instructions above.

UPDATE 2:
1. The text editor to use has been changed to Notepad++ only as stock Notepad and Word save the file with the wrong encoding by default. Apologies for any issues/confusion this may have caused.
2. A notice to backup your save has been added as suggested by skwi.

Happy Spelunking!
zeta1

[ Edited: 06 February 2013 05:48 AM by zeta1 ]

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:29 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-03-23

Thanks for the tip zeta1!
After reading your post I tried a different variant to fix the monk glitch. By locating CaveCharacterSaveData I could figure out where my characters where spawning and I changed the value of LastValidCheckpointVolumeName so all three characters above the bridge so that I could break it again. The only problem with this solution is that if one of characters I move is holding the feather (needed to break the bridge if I remember correctly) than the game gets stuck at the loading screen. So I probably need to find some more variable to move the feather as well or something. Will play around with it some more later, mostly for the fun of trying to fix it smile.

Posted: 30 January 2013 09:03 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-01-27
skwi - 30 January 2013 08:29 AM

Thanks for the tip zeta1!
After reading your post I tried a different variant to fix the monk glitch. By locating CaveCharacterSaveData I could figure out where my characters where spawning and I changed the value of LastValidCheckpointVolumeName so all three characters above the bridge so that I could break it again. The only problem with this solution is that if one of characters I move is holding the feather (needed to break the bridge if I remember correctly) than the game gets stuck at the loading screen. So I probably need to find some more variable to move the feather as well or something. Will play around with it some more later, mostly for the fun of trying to fix it smile.

Glad this was of help, there are multiple LastValidCheckpointVolumeName= segments in the save, try and do a replace all of the checkpoint name you see there, I did that for the scientist glitch, maybe if all three are replaced it could work! smile

Posted: 30 January 2013 09:08 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-23

If I’m reading the file correctly it seems that there are one LastValidCheckpointVolumeName for each character in each run of the cave. So since I’m on my second playthrough I have a total of six LastValidCheckpointVolumeName variables.

Posted: 30 January 2013 09:57 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-01-27

Ok, my bad, was basing the estimate off what I could see in that section of the file I was looking at, thanks for the insight! Could you please attach your save in a post? It does not look like any personal information is recorded at all in the save so it should be safe and could help solve the issue by more people tinkering around with it. smile

Posted: 30 January 2013 10:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-23

Sure, I’ll attach the save file in this post https://www.dropbox.com/s/92p21vwli10be4z/auto_Copy.sav

DF Justin said that the glitch should be fixed in the next patch, so I’m only tinkering with the save file for the fun/challenge of figuring out how to undo the glitch. If more people like to have a go at it, why not smile.

*edit* Seems like attaching it to the post as a fake picture didn’t work so changed it to dropbox link.

[ Edited: 30 January 2013 10:48 AM by skwi ]

Posted: 30 January 2013 12:24 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-01-27

Issue fixed! Now the scientist is with the rest of your party and you can proceed to finish the last section of the level and exit to the master. If you want the achievement with the bridges, just keep the feather then return down the slope and bust that bridge again! (You’d probably need to climb back up afterwards though)

The fixed save is stored here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11055689/auto_MonkFixed.sav

Here’s what this has fix has uncovered:
1. There is another type of checkpoint called a rallypoint, in this case “Cave_MonkBubble_RallyPoint” minus quotes, which is just under the ladder leading to the first monk trial, Cave_MonkBubble_CheckpointVolume3 is the checkpoint at the start of the first trial when you pick up the flowers.

2. The character save data is as follows:
CaveCharacterSaveData{LastValidCheckpointVolumeName=Cave_MonkBubble_CheckpointVolume2;LastControllerID=4294967295;TimeTravelPeriod=kTTP_Present;CharacterIndex=2;CharacterProtoToSpawn=Scientist;}];
Searching for a character to change spawning point is as simple as looking for CharacterProtoToSpawn=(Scientist/Knight/Monk/etc), then editing LastValidCheckpointVolumeName=(name) where name is the checkpoint name, in this case matching it with that of the knight and monk (Cave_MonkBubble_RallyPoint).

3. Pickups are saved in the format:
CavePickupSaveData{LastValidCheckpoint=Cave_MonkBubble_RallyPoint;SpawnDomawin=;AllowPickup=1;Proto=;PickedUp=1;PickupName=Cave_MonkBubble_Feather;}
These are per item and so changing the spawning point should be just editing LastValidCheckpoint, but that does not work as the game gets stuck on loading when attempting to move the knight holding the feather to rejoin the scientist who was at Cave_MonkBubble_CheckpointVolume2

Enjoy smile

EDIT: I’ve updated the first post with this information and another one I forgot to mention here, that checkpoint numbers seem to differ in their progression depending on level, in the scientist the numbers decreased as level proceeded whereas in the monk they increased.

[ Edited: 30 January 2013 12:32 PM by zeta1 ]

Posted: 30 January 2013 01:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-23

Thanks zeta1!
I was a bit hesitant when I tinkered around earlier to move the scientist down to the other, since I didn’t know if I had to leave the same way I came in. Since that wasn’t the case I did as you suggested and now I’m done with the Monk trials smile.

Fun fact, I wanted to see if it was the fact that someone was holding the feather that caused the game to get stuck on loading, so I got a save where no one was holding the feather and changed its LastValidCheckpoint value to make it spawn above the bridge where I could pick it up. This worked fine and the feather spawned by the Scientist, but when I tried to changed the spawn position for the knight and the monk to that checkpoint as well it got stuck loading again. So there seems to be something I’m not seeing that interferes with the game loading correctly. Oh well, I’m done with savegame tinkering for now as the game is unglitched.

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:48 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-01-27

Thanks for the information skwi, maybe the feather being tied to the Monk’s trials section and an achievement is what is causing the loading issue because of the special way it is handled. Glad this got resolved!

skwi - 30 January 2013 01:58 PM

Thanks zeta1!
I was a bit hesitant when I tinkered around earlier to move the scientist down to the other, since I didn’t know if I had to leave the same way I came in. Since that wasn’t the case I did as you suggested and now I’m done with the Monk trials smile.

Fun fact, I wanted to see if it was the fact that someone was holding the feather that caused the game to get stuck on loading, so I got a save where no one was holding the feather and changed its LastValidCheckpoint value to make it spawn above the bridge where I could pick it up. This worked fine and the feather spawned by the Scientist, but when I tried to changed the spawn position for the knight and the monk to that checkpoint as well it got stuck loading again. So there seems to be something I’m not seeing that interferes with the game loading correctly. Oh well, I’m done with savegame tinkering for now as the game is unglitched.

Posted: 30 January 2013 06:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2012-01-09

It’s always a great thing to be pleasantly surprised at the stuff you guys figure out on your own. =)

That said, please everyone make sure before any form of tinkering that you backup your save files before you mess around with them, and realize that if I get an email into the support inbox that ever says “I was tinkering with my save files and” I’m going to laugh at you. Then probably try to help you get unbroken. But there will still be laughing.

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-01-31

I have a problem in the Adventurer Quest, the problem is that i jumped in the room with the 4 plattforms with the knight and the adventurer, and can not get the adventurer out of the room to finish his quest…..

So I tried to edit the savegame, tried with notepad and several other text-editors, but when I save the auto.sav file(even if I didn’t change anything just open and save) with any text-editor and want to resume the game, it gives an error message saying that this savefile is not compatible with the game…..

Is this a known problem?

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:32 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-01-27
Torro14 - 01 February 2013 11:22 AM

I have a problem in the Adventurer Quest, the problem is that i jumped in the room with the 4 plattforms with the knight and the adventurer, and can not get the adventurer out of the room to finish his quest…..

So I tried to edit the savegame, tried with notepad and several other text-editors, but when I save the auto.sav file(even if I didn’t change anything just open and save) with any text-editor and want to resume the game, it gives an error message saying that this savefile is not compatible with the game…..

Is this a known problem?

This looks to me like the file is being saved using a different text encoding. Basically if you’re copy-pasting the file’s contents into a new file then saving it or using “Save As…” there is a big chance the file will not be saved back properly because it will use the editor’s default encoding (especially if using MS Word and other non-programmer oriented editors). Your best bet would be using Notepad++ (get it here) to open, edit and save the file, it won’t mess with the file when resaving and has a handy “edit with notepad++” explorer integration when right clicking on any file. And did I mention it’s free, super light and generally awesome? :)

[ Edited: 01 February 2013 11:35 AM by zeta1 ]

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:39 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-23

Hi there, i have the same problem with the scientist’s area, I’m not able to unlock the laser door. I followed with care the instructions but when I load the game, it says that the savegame cannot be loaded because it isn’t compatible :(

here the link to download my auto.sav: http://dfiles.eu/files/v2q75q46e

please someone can fix it for me?? thx in advance smile

Marco from Italy

Posted: 05 February 2013 04:50 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2012-03-23

Hi Marco.

The incompatible format issue was probably due to the same reason that zeta1 mentioned above, that the file got saved in a different encoding format. I resaved your file using notepad++ and I started fine on my computer, oh and I added the variable for the laser door so that should be open now =D. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vnkfjhh04mzzwk/auto_scientist_bug_fixed.sav

zeta1, it seems like it would be a good idea to add a big *make sure to create a backup before doing anything to your savefile* at the top of the OP, and add a bullet point about using notepad++ when editing the files.

Please do remember to make a backup if you are tinkering with the save file so you have something to revert to in case anything goes wrong!

[ Edited: 05 February 2013 05:00 PM by skwi ]

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:49 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-01-27
skwi - 05 February 2013 04:50 PM

Hi Marco.

The incompatible format issue was probably due to the same reason that zeta1 mentioned above, that the file got saved in a different encoding format. I resaved your file using notepad++ and I started fine on my computer, oh and I added the variable for the laser door so that should be open now =D. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vnkfjhh04mzzwk/auto_scientist_bug_fixed.sav

zeta1, it seems like it would be a good idea to add a big *make sure to create a backup before doing anything to your savefile* at the top of the OP, and add a bullet point about using notepad++ when editing the files.

Please do remember to make a backup if you are tinkering with the save file so you have something to revert to in case anything goes wrong!

Thanks skwi, good ideas, the first post has been updated! smile

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:43 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-23
skwi - 05 February 2013 04:50 PM

Hi Marco.

GREAT IT WORKS!! skwi thank you very very much for your help!!! cheers raspberry

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

‹‹ Easter eggs      Backtracking..... ››