Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: The Last Express
Posted: 23 March 2013 11:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1206
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: The Last Express  (starting 30th March)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Portal
  Next Game: Loom!

bMTaow6.png

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 30th March, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): First game session (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)
  - 6th April, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): Second game session (Stream 2, Stream 3) and general discussion (log)
  - 13th April, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): Third game session (Stream 4) and general discussion (log)
  - 20th April, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): Fourth game session (No stream) and general discussion (log)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Paris, 1914. The world is on the brink of war and this train could push it over the edge. You are Robert Cath, a young American urgently summoned by your old friend Tyler Whitney to join him aboard the Paris-Constantinople express, departing from the Gare de l’Est on July 24th.

Arriving late, you discover something has gone terribly wrong. Now you must untangle a complex web of political intrigue, suspense, romance, and betrayal. Every move you make could bring you closer to the truth or your own demise. Bon voyage!

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - DotEmu (Windows)
  - GOG (Windows)
  - DotEmu (iOS)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 24 March 2013 02:00 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Almighty Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  558
Joined  2012-03-23

A top five adventure of all time for me. I won’t participate but I hope anyone who’s interested picks up this game!

Posted: 29 March 2013 11:42 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-03-24

Great game!

I’m couch surfing right now and all my games are in storage, but otherwise I would play the s- out of this.

Signature 

Crab crab crab crab crab crab crab crab crab crab crab

Posted: 29 March 2013 11:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
bearseatbeats - 29 March 2013 11:42 AM

Great game!

I’m couch surfing right now and all my games are in storage, but otherwise I would play the s- out of this.

You should still join us to chat about the game if you can :D

We’ll also have a stream running to help remind people of what’s going on ^_^

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 29 March 2013 12:13 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2012-03-12

The Last Express has been on my ever-growing “Games I should play someday” list for some time now. This session should be quite interesting.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: TBA
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 30 March 2013 03:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2012-05-22

Let’s see if i can do this and bioshock at the same time.

Signature 

My Scribblins:
Frank’s Salad Days: Breakin’ down the Punisher, 80’s style

Posted: 30 March 2013 05:27 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The chat log and stream archive from today’s session are up in the first post.

Thanks to everybody who showed up today and was patient during our delay. Alphatt tells us there’ll be a bit more testing before next week’s session smile

This was the first time I’d gotten to see TLE in action (I didn’t find time to play it during the week). Its art style is pretty interesting, though I find the juxtaposition between the 3D rendered backgrounds and toon-like rotoscoped foreground elements to be a little jarring (it still has a lot of visual charm though).

It’s interesting to see how the game exposes a lot of information to the player, but doesn’t highlight what’s valuable and what’s not - something that’s exceedingly rare these days.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the rest of the playthrough unfolds!

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2013 05:33 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Beard Beard Action Beard
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2012-05-22

Huh?  Dammit man!  UTC looks way too much like Central time, I was planning for 9:00.  No need for semantic accuracy nonsense here, Its called GMT!!!!!!

Hope you guys had fun, I’m really looking forward to the second session, its one of those games that’s always two or three down on my list.  Catch you next time!

Signature 

My Scribblins:
Frank’s Salad Days: Breakin’ down the Punisher, 80’s style

Posted: 31 March 2013 03:05 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13
Arch-Stanton - 30 March 2013 05:33 PM

Huh?  Dammit man!  UTC looks way too much like Central time, I was planning for 9:00.

Would that be Central time in Australia (CST), North America (CST), Europe (CET), Africa (CAT), or Indonesia (WITA)?

The countdown timer on the site is usually the best bet for double checking,  and we throw tweets out from @DFGameClub in the lead up to sessions as well ^_^

Hope you guys had fun, I’m really looking forward to the second session, its one of those games that’s always two or three down on my list.  Catch you next time!

Hope to see you then! In the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts on the game here in the forum thread if you’ve been playing smile

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 01:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be starting in a few minutes! Come join us!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.

Posted: 06 April 2013 04:20 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Chat log and stream archives (1 and 2) are up for today’s session.

Thanks to everybody who joined and apologies for our technical difficulties at the beginning.

The game’s plots are certainly becoming more dramatic, and alphatt gives a great recap at the beginning of the first stream from today’s session. Looking forward to seeing what happens next session!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2013 01:59 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-03-12

The stream will be live very soon!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2013 04:47 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Thanks to everybody who joined us today. The stream archive and chat log are up in the first post.

We did a bit of backtracking today. The Last Express is a pretty ambitious game for us to be approaching the way we do things at the moment. The game doesn’t give a lot of feedback on things which have been missed. It’s been interesting to see some slight variations of the events that we moved back and forth through today.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 03:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

No stream this week, but we are still discussing the game if anybody wants to join us smile

Edit: Chat log and an archive of the we’re-not-having-a-stream stream are up.

We’ve also got a thread up for Loom, which we’ll be starting next week.

Apologies to anybody who was hanging out for the last TLE stream. It’d be great to continue the discussion here though. What did everybody think of the game? As I mentioned in IRC, the art style grew on me over time, and I’m still blown away by the game’s scope (from the simulated real time aspect to the rotoscoping of live action footage, its development must have been crazily unconventional for its time).

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:55 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-05-30

I loved playing this game when it first came out. It’s rich colors, story line, characters. The last express could be the very best in adventure game ever. Unfortunately because the publishing company went under as it was released, most gamers in the 1990’s never got a chance to play the last express.

Posted: 07 April 2014 12:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2012-09-10

One of my favorite games of all time smile

Signature 

“Since real scientists don’t like to make mistakes, we always write the hypothesis in pencil” -Dr. Cranium

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!