Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: Loom (with Brian Moriarty!)
Posted: 20 April 2013 03:32 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Deity of the Forum
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  929
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Loom  (starting 28th April)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: The Last Express
  Next Game: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

header_292x136.jpg?t=1273614223

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 27th April, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): Game session (Stream) and general discussion plus dev chat (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Brian Moriarty (Wikipedia)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Long after the passing of the Second Shadow, when dragons ruled the twilight sky and the stars were bright and numerous, came the Age of the Great Guilds.

Blacksmiths. Shepherds. Clerics. Each dedicated to the absolute control of secret knowledge.

Another such Guild was the Weavers. Over the centuries, their craft transcended the limits of physical cloth, until they wove the very fabric of reality itself. Now, a strange power has swept the Weavers into oblivion, leaving behind one Weaver boy to unravel the mystery. Help young Bobbin rescue his Guild…and you just might save the universe from an unspeakable catastrophe.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Steam (Windows, Mac OS)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 21 April 2013 09:41 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Noble Psychomaster
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2012-10-13

Looking forward to experiencing this game again.

Signature 

Downloadable, DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 22 April 2013 06:35 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

We didn’t want to announce anything before we were sure, but we’ve managed to convince Loom’s original designer Brian Moriarty to join us!

His recommendation is that anybody who is able to should listen to the audio drama and play through the EGA version (please, no talking about how to acquire it).

For anybody not aware, the “talkie” version on Steam is missing some music tracks, sound effects and reaction shots, but is sadly, the only purchasable version that I’m aware of.

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 22 April 2013 06:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Noble Psychomaster
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2012-10-13

Nice that he’ll be joining us.

Signature 

Downloadable, DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 22 April 2013 07:18 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Straight Flush
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2012-06-04

Well I’m going to be rocking up to work late so I can be a part of this one! Thanks for the heads up Cheeseness!

Posted: 22 April 2013 09:50 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  2816
Joined  2012-03-12

Really cool that Brian Moriarty is joining in. I figure that if you own one copy legally it’s fair game to get another through alternate sources. I was always more sorry that we didn’t get the continuation of Loom than the cancelled Sam & Max and Full Trottle, as it definitely needed it more.

Signature 

Flesk

Posted: 22 April 2013 11:20 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-02-13

Awesome game!

Signature 

DFA Backer!

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:46 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Sr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-03-15

My favourite game of all time!

Signature 

My facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/KaiOrtmannIllustration
My twitter: https://twitter.com/kaio89
My deviantArt: http://kaio89.deviantart.com/

Posted: 22 April 2013 01:08 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2012-03-12

It’s really cool that Brian Moriarty will be joining us!

Confession time: I had never played Loom before I offered to stream it for the game club! I’ll be playing through it this week to try to familiarize myself with it so I hopefully don’t bumble around too much.

Although I have the (unfortunately rather flawed, in my humble opinion) CD/Steam version of Loom, I’ll be streaming the DOS EGA version.

Signature 

DFA backer-exclusive Steam group!
PM me or solidd a link to your Steam profile page and a link to your DF forum public profile for an invite.

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:33 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

Like Syd, I’m ashamed to admit that Loom has sat on the wrong side of my to-play list for many, many years, but I am really glad that Game Club has pushed me to invest some time in it, and I’m looking forward to seeing what you all (and Brian) have to say about it.

For anybody wanting some development context, Loom was the fourth Scumm title, and was made between the Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade point and click adventure and The Secret Of Monkey Island. It was the first LucasArts title to bring in the No Deaths And No Dead Ends philosophy that permeated later LucasArts titles, and so far as I am aware was the first LucasArts game to have a “talkie” version.

I want to emphasise that anybody who has their hands on the audio drama really should check it out as it (in Brian’s own words) is critical for setting up the story.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2012-03-23

So much new information at once.. There is a talkie version of loom? Loom is aviable on steam? How? why? since when? is it with scummvm? And if so why only mac and windows and not linux? I only own or have played the original EGA version. altough it always looked as alot more than 16 colors to me.

Brian Moriarty is joining? Oh wow. and why oh why do you do it at 6 o’clock in the morning on a work day!!!!! (in my time zone) WHYYYYY

Will there be a recording to watch after it?

I mean LOOM.. THE LOOOM You know…  the latest masterpiece of fantasy storytelling from Lucasfilm’s™ Brian Moriarty™?
Why it’s an extraordinary adventure with an interface of magic… stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes… sophisticated score and musical effects.
Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects, elegant point ‘n’ click control of characters, objects, and magic spells.
Beat the rush! Go out and buy Loom™ today!

Signature 

As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself.

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:10 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13
scarfy - 22 April 2013 03:01 PM

So much new information at once.. There is a talkie version of loom? Loom is aviable on steam? How? why? since when? is it with scummvm? And if so why only mac and windows and not linux? I only own or have played the original EGA version. altough it always looked as alot more than 16 colors to me.

I think Loom has been on Steam for as long as Fate of Atlantis, Last Crusade and The Dig (around the time that the special edition of Monkey Island came out). It’s a talkie version, but is missing dialogue and other bits and pieces due to space requirements. Like the other Scumm titles on Steam, it doesn’t use ScummVM, but a new (and not as awesome as ScummVM) wrapper.

Brian Moriarty is joining? Oh wow. and why oh why do you do it at 6 o’clock in the morning on a work day!!!!! (in my time zone) WHYYYYY

On the off chance that you don’t work on weekends, you might want to double check that you have your time conversion right. If it’s 6am for you, it’ll be Sunday morning.

Will there be a recording to watch after it?

There’ll be a stream recording and a chat log (as with all previous Game Club sessions) smile

If you can’t make it, you’re more than welcome to ask questions/discuss stuff here, and I’ll do my best to make sure that makes its way into the conversation.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:30 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Super Action Beard
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2012-03-23
Cheeseness - 22 April 2013 03:10 PM

On the off chance that you don’t work on weekends, you might want to double check that you have your time conversion right. If it’s 6am for you, it’ll be Sunday morning

Aah right the 27th is a saturday.. XD my bad. Somehow got the dates all mixed up from all the exitment about this news :D And not only that i thought that the time would be in San francisco time not greenwich meantime. So i was confused on more levels as i thought. All those darn timezones.

So might be able to attend live anyway. Even more good news.

Gotta go find my cassette tape of the Loom pre story wich came with the game. And most of all find a cassette player wich will be even harder.

Thanks alot for the information smile

Signature 

As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself.

Posted: 22 April 2013 05:45 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-03-13

For what it’s worth, the FM Towns version of LOOM is the one I always play as it seems to have the best of everything. 256 colors, full musical score and the close-ups. The only thing missing is voiced dialogue.

Posted: 23 April 2013 12:38 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Double Action Newbie
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-03-23

I don’t know much about LOOM… Who should I ask about it?

Signature 

(Don’t believe a single word, this bastard is a liar.)

Posted: 23 April 2013 12:44 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2012-03-12
Arenow - 23 April 2013 12:38 AM

I don’t know much about LOOM… Who should I ask about it?

5tCoxKR.jpg

Signature 

DFA backer-exclusive Steam group!
PM me or solidd a link to your Steam profile page and a link to your DF forum public profile for an invite.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3