Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 3
DF Game Club: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge (With Ron Gilbert!)
Posted: 27 April 2013 10:57 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Deity of the Forum
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  929
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge  (starting 4th of May)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Loom
  Next Game: Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving

RuwXaum.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 4th May, 9:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion plus dev chat (full log, edited log)
  - 11th May, 9:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion plus dev chat (log)
  - 18th May, 9:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): Final game session (Stream 3) and general discussion (chat log)

SPECIAL GUESTS
  - Ron Gilbert (@GrumpyGamer)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Deep in the Caribbean, Guybrush Threepwood finds himself on the embargoed Scabb Island in need of a new story and the legendary treasure of Big Whoop.

Monkey Island 2 is Game Club’s second title in our series of Remembering LucasArts sessions, commemorating the recently closed studio.

Please note that the original version(s) of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge are no longer available. The original artwork and interface is available in the Special Edition by switching to “classic mode”. For anybody who already owns a copy of (one of) the original version(s), Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge can be played on a wide variety of modern systems using ScummVM (this requires the original game files from the CD, DOS floppy or Amiga versions).

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Steam (Windows)
  - GameFly (Windows)
  - XBox Live (XBox)
  - iTunes Store (iPad)
  - iTunes Store (iPhone)
  - PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:53 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Supreme Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2012-03-12

Edit: I’m going to put this in big bold font so hopefully people notice it. Ron tweeted about the game club, but put the wrong time in his tweet! In the off chance that anyone checks this thread first, the session starts at 2PM PDT, not 1PM PDT.

I’ll likely be streaming a copy of the game that was generated using this tool using data from the SE version, so I can get that nice MT-32 music (emulated through ScummVM, as I don’t have the real thing) and still have voice acting. Best of both worlds!

Also, if anyone hasn’t read them yet, Ron has recently made some blog posts detailing some of his plans and ideas for his own theoretical Monkey Island 3, if he ever gets to make it. You can read the first blog post here as well as a clarification to one of his points here. So, if you have any questions to Ron regarding how he’d make his own Monkey Island 3, it might have already been answered on his blog!

Signature 

DFA backer-exclusive Steam group!
PM me or solidd a link to your Steam profile page and a link to your DF forum public profile for an invite.

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:33 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Sexy Robots
Total Posts:  400
Joined  2012-02-14
Syd - 28 April 2013 12:53 AM

I’ll likely be streaming a copy of the game that was generated using this tool using data from the SE version, so I can get that nice MT-32 music (emulated through ScummVM, as I don’t have the real thing) and still have voice acting. Best of both worlds!

Also, if anyone hasn’t read them yet, Ron has recently made some blog posts detailing some of his plans and ideas for his own theoretical Monkey Island 3, if he ever gets to make it. You can read the first blog post here as well as a clarification to one of his points here. So, if you have any questions to Ron regarding how he’d make his own Monkey Island 3, it might have already been answered on his blog!

Awesome!

Posted: 28 April 2013 05:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13

For anybody who might have missed out on The Secret of Monkey Island, chat logs and stream archives from our sessions can be found here.

We also had Ron join us for The Cave, and some Monkey Island related stuff was discussed there. You can find chat logs, stream archives and the transcript of the live interview we did with Ron here!

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:09 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  896
Joined  2011-12-11

I’m interested to hear what Ron has to say about MI2- especially after what we learned from Brian Moriarty about the endings!

Signature 

Hiding in your basement since before you were born

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:01 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-23
Acefox - 28 April 2013 08:09 PM

I’m interested to hear what Ron has to say about MI2- especially after what we learned from Brian Moriarty about the endings!

For those of us who have been lax in our Game Club watching—what did we learn from Brian Moriarty about the endings?

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:42 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Lord of Action Posts
Total Posts:  488
Joined  2012-02-14
shroud - 28 April 2013 11:01 PM

For those of us who have been lax in our Game Club watching—what did we learn from Brian Moriarty about the endings?

Uh oh, now Brian’s is in trouble for spilling secrets!

He suggested the MI2 carnival end-scene was originally proposed for the end of MI1—(or his memory was bad).
It did seem though—for just a few seconds—that he was going to go just carelessly rambling on and reveal the “secret”.  Ron needs to keep an eye on him.

Posted: 29 April 2013 12:33 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  2012-03-12
jonathanfrisby - 28 April 2013 11:42 PM
shroud - 28 April 2013 11:01 PM

Uh oh, now Brian’s is in trouble for spilling secrets!

He suggested the MI2 carnival end-scene was originally proposed for the end of MI1—(or his memory was bad).
It did seem though—for just a few seconds—that he was going to go just carelessly rambling on and reveal the “secret”.  Ron needs to keep an eye on him.

I still think I know the secret. There’s so much evidence for it.

Signature 

@BidiotBales

Currently watching: Spaced, Elementary
Currently playing: Full Throttle
Currently reading: Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men, The Da Vinci Code

BAD GOLF 3! 2015!

Posted: 29 April 2013 04:20 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13
jonathanfrisby - 28 April 2013 11:42 PM

(or his memory was bad).

This is a fairly key point - Brian said he couldn’t remember much at all about Loom, and 20 years is a long time to be remembering the specifics of which ideas happened when (from what I understand, they pretty much dove straight into development of MI2 as soon as TSoMI was released, so it’s probably pretty easy to get things mixed up). Let’s not get too carried away until Ron has a chance to clarify.

Ron already told us the secret. During our playthrough of The Cave, he said that the secret was that Guybrush is a banana, remember?

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 09:08 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Deity of the Forum
Total Posts:  896
Joined  2011-12-11

Well, I certainly don’t think Brian gave anything secret away. If you played and completed both MI1 and 2 then you saw the endings yourself. It’s just really interesting to know how it was originally set up to be. Myself, I think the ending of MI2 was a tantalizing indication of where the story was going to go. I still have hopes though that we’ll see Ron’s true vision yet.

Also, I think Ron mentioned before that only he knows the true secret of Monkey Island and he’s been holding out just in case! Besides Guybrush being a banana and all.

Signature 

Hiding in your basement since before you were born

Posted: 30 April 2013 05:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13
Acefox - 29 April 2013 09:08 PM

Also, I think Ron mentioned before that only he knows the true secret of Monkey Island and he’s been holding out just in case!

As a storyteller, I imagine that Ron recognises the value in secrets that are never revealed. If I were him, I’d totally be saying that only I knew (what better way to keep fans engaged and interested), but that wouldn’t mean that anybody would ever get to find out ^_^

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 01:18 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2012-02-24

Ok this is probably my favourite game ever, this time I’ll make sure to join you!

Posted: 02 May 2013 11:08 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2012-03-12

So, after messing around a bit with the copy of Monkey Island 2 that was made using the tool I had linked above, I’m slightly weary of using it for the stream since I’ve ran into a very noticeable audio bug pretty early into the game. Now, for all I know, the rest of the game could be bug-free, but running into a bug so early has made me uneasy.

Now, I know it might ruffle some feathers, but I am definitely settled on playing a version with voice acting, so it’s down to these two:

Monkey Island 2: Ultimate Talkie Edition
Pros:
Voice acting from the special edition alongside original graphics/music
Roland MT-32 sound (or Ad-lib, or whatever audio device you prefer)
Runs in ScummVM, can even run in DOS if you want that extra authenticity
Proper implementation of iMuse? I’m no expert on it, but it sounds fine to me.
Cons:
Bugs? Already ran into one early in the game that I was able to easily reproduce, and I’m afraid there may be more.
ScummVM’s MT-32 emulation isn’t perfect, and I don’t have the real thing.

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Pros:
Can switch between original and new graphics/sound for comparisons
Pretty darn bug-free. I can stream it with confidence.
Cons:
Can’t choose audio device, so no MT-32 sound
Messed up iMuse? I’ve heard accusations of this, but I haven’t really looked into it myself.

I’d like to hear some opinions on this. I’ll continue playing through the cobbled-together talkie edition before the stream, to see if I spot any other bugs. If it seems fine otherwise, then I’ll probably go with this version. The bug I encountered can be avoided by walking in and out of a room, so if it’s the only one, then it’s not a big deal.

Signature 

DFA backer-exclusive Steam group!
PM me or solidd a link to your Steam profile page and a link to your DF forum public profile for an invite.

Posted: 03 May 2013 12:01 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-03-13
Syd - 02 May 2013 11:08 PM

So, after messing around a bit with the copy of Monkey Island 2 that was made using the tool I had linked above, I’m slightly weary of using it for the stream since I’ve ran into a very noticeable audio bug pretty early into the game. Now, for all I know, the rest of the game could be bug-free, but running into a bug so early has made me uneasy.

Now, I know it might ruffle some feathers, but I am definitely settled on playing a version with voice acting, so it’s down to these two:

Monkey Island 2: Ultimate Talkie Edition
Pros:
Voice acting from the special edition alongside original graphics/music
Roland MT-32 sound (or Ad-lib, or whatever audio device you prefer)
Runs in ScummVM, can even run in DOS if you want that extra authenticity
Proper implementation of iMuse? I’m no expert on it, but it sounds fine to me.
Cons:
Bugs? Already ran into one early in the game that I was able to easily reproduce, and I’m afraid there may be more.
ScummVM’s MT-32 emulation isn’t perfect, and I don’t have the real thing.

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Pros:
Can switch between original and new graphics/sound for comparisons
Pretty darn bug-free. I can stream it with confidence.
Cons:
Can’t choose audio device, so no MT-32 sound
Messed up iMuse? I’ve heard accusations of this, but I haven’t really looked into it myself.

I’d like to hear some opinions on this. I’ll continue playing through the cobbled-together talkie edition before the stream, to see if I spot any other bugs. If it seems fine otherwise, then I’ll probably go with this version. The bug I encountered can be avoided by walking in and out of a room, so if it’s the only one, then it’s not a big deal.

One thing to consider about the fanmade talkie is that the bone song doesn’t always sync up, however the SE in classic mode is spot on every time (as long as it’s the patched version of the SE). It all depends on what matters the most to you in the end I guess. Hope this helps smile

Posted: 03 May 2013 04:19 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Deity of the Forum
Joined  2012-03-13
OzzieMonkey - 03 May 2013 12:01 AM

One thing to consider about the fanmade talkie is that the bone song doesn’t always sync up, however the SE in classic mode is spot on every time (as long as it’s the patched version of the SE). It all depends on what matters the most to you in the end I guess. Hope this helps smile

Want to elaborate on what the patch might be? Is this an official patch that would be automatically applied via Steam, or something else?

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:25 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-03-13
Cheeseness - 03 May 2013 04:19 AM
OzzieMonkey - 03 May 2013 12:01 AM

Want to elaborate on what the patch might be? Is this an official patch that would be automatically applied via Steam, or something else?

Sure thing. It was basically the patch that was added to the SE on Steam after fans complained about several bugs when it first came out, so if you’re playing the Steam version, or the “Special Edition Collection” DVD, the patch should already be applied.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 3