Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

DF Game Club: Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It’s Dark Outside
Posted: 15 June 2013 06:03 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It’s Dark Outside  (starting 13th of June)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Another World
  Next Game: Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars

eINkhof.png

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 13th June, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream) and general discussion (log)

ABOUT THE GAME
  Inspired by an issue of his favorite superhero comic, Pajama Man, Sam takes matters into his own hands to confront his fear of the darkness that fills his room.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Atari Website (Windows)
  - GameHouse (Windows)
  - iTunes Store (iPhone, iPad)
  Note for Linux and Mac users: This game can be played natively with ScummVM, and is listed as having 90% compatibility.

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 16 June 2013 03:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

Ron Gilbert also worked on this game. He will be out of town this weekend though, and sends his apologies ^_^

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

Want to read about the 2013 Double Fine Down Under BBQ? (spoiler: it was fun) (thread)

Posted: 16 June 2013 03:42 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Unholy Action Forum Commander
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2012-03-23

If anyone’s interested, there’s also a Wii port of the game too, though its significantly more pricey: http://www.amazon.com/Pajama-Dont-Fear-Dark-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0017HGHFC/ref=pd_cp_sw_1

Posted: 18 June 2013 01:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-15

Oh man, my brother and I used to play NNTHWIDO exclusively. We had EVERY of the different iterations memorized and we’d try to race each other to figure out which version of each puzzle was in a particular playthrough. One of us collected all the socks, once, but I don’t remember what happens. Anyone else find the “hidden Snake” minigame? My favorite was the “crackers and cheese” tic-tac-toe game.

A few years later we played the third Pajama Sam game: “You Are What You Eat From Your Head To Your Feet”, I think I was in high school, and it was STILL awesome even alongside stuff like UT2K4 or hardcore games. Why was it so hard to find the “Thunder And Lightening Aren’t So Frightening” sequel? We also lost so many hours building our own maps in Pajama Sam’s “Sockworks” puzzlegame.

Posted: 18 June 2013 06:57 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-03-23
mLbRisteL - 18 June 2013 01:52 PM

Oh man, my brother and I used to play NNTHWIDO exclusively. We had EVERY of the different iterations memorized and we’d try to race each other to figure out which version of each puzzle was in a particular playthrough. One of us collected all the socks, once, but I don’t remember what happens. Anyone else find the “hidden Snake” minigame? My favorite was the “crackers and cheese” tic-tac-toe game.

A few years later we played the third Pajama Sam game: “You Are What You Eat From Your Head To Your Feet”, I think I was in high school, and it was STILL awesome even alongside stuff like UT2K4 or hardcore games. Why was it so hard to find the “Thunder And Lightening Aren’t So Frightening” sequel? We also lost so many hours building our own maps in Pajama Sam’s “Sockworks” puzzlegame.

I’ll make sure to spend a small amount of the playthrough showing the snake minigame, cheese and crackers, and make sure to go through all the potions. I also made a save file with all the socks that I will go to near the end of the playthrough so I can show what happens when you get all the socks (to lazy to try and get all the socks live).

Posted: 19 June 2013 09:08 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

Dave Grossman also sends his apologies (apparently this coming weekend is Fathers’ Day in some parts of the world), but says he would have liked to have joined us smile

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2013 10:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-05-24

As far as I can tell there isn’t some Game Club master-topic, so I apologise if I’m asking about this in the wrong place, but how would you guys feel about featuring L.A. Noire one week? (Obviously the game as a whole is enormous, but it’s broken down episodically, and I think one of the early cases could be neatly played through start to finish in a single sitting.) Whilst the kneejerk reaction might be that it’s got nothing to do with adventure games, I’ve always thought that in fact it really is a modern progression of the genre. Behind the polish and the new trimmings, its core is very very similar to adventure games of yore. I think it could make for some really interesting discussion.

Posted: 21 June 2013 10:33 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1403
Joined  2012-03-12

We do have a master thread of sorts, but there’s no problem with you posting that question here. We’re definitely willing to branch out into covering non-adventure titles, but a large game like L.A. Noire might be difficult for us to do under our current format. We’d have to discuss how we’d tackle a game of L.A. Noire’s size.

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: Sam & Max 105: Reality 2.0
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 21 June 2013 11:07 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-05-24
Syd - 21 June 2013 10:33 PM

We’d have to discuss how we’d tackle a game of L.A. Noire’s size.

I was thinking you could play one of the individual cases. The early ones are wholly self contained plot wise and basically function as mini-adventures all to themselves.

Posted: 21 June 2013 11:29 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-03-13
Eiphel - 21 June 2013 11:07 PM
Syd - 21 June 2013 10:33 PM

We’d have to discuss how we’d tackle a game of L.A. Noire’s size.

I was thinking you could play one of the individual cases. The early ones are wholly self contained plot wise and basically function as mini-adventures all to themselves.

That’d potentially be an interesting way to tackle it. Better to move this sort of discussion over to the planning thread and leave this one for discussion about PJ Sam, though smile

Edit: Twitch.tv are having some troubles at the moment. We’ll still have our session at the regular time, but if Twitch aren’t up, we’ll look at an alternative streaming option or do this session without a stream). We’ll let people know what the go is via chat, so don’t forget to show up :D

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2013 09:36 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-03-23
Cheeseness - 21 June 2013 11:29 PM

Twitch.tv are having some troubles at the moment. We’ll still have our session at the regular time, but if Twitch aren’t up, we’ll look at an alternative streaming option or do this session without a stream). We’ll let people know what the go is via chat, so don’t forget to show up :D

Twitch.tv is back up, so we should be fine.

Posted: 22 June 2013 10:22 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Royal Flush
Total Posts:  668
Joined  2012-06-01

THIS GAME. THIS GAME WAS MY CHILDHOOD. I have so many fond memories of zipping around the Land of Darkness with King and Otto. It was also one of the only video games I had as a little kid, so Sam will always have a special little place in my heart,

Signature 

How am I supposed to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? ...The answer? Eat him. And if that don’t work? Inhale harder.

Also known as the biggest wimp on the forums!

Posted: 22 June 2013 01:57 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-03-23

Hey guys! We’ll be starting in just a few minutes. Please come join us!

Posted: 22 June 2013 03:28 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Dr. Action Poster, Esq.
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-04-05

That was a fun little game. I never played it myself back in the day but now I’m interested in getting it to play it myself even if I’ve watched most of the stream. Good work on the streaming, Permafry_42. =)

Signature 

Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.™
Join us on IRC: #dfadventure@irc.foonetic.net [Web IRC client]

Posted: 22 June 2013 04:05 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-03-23
takarayama - 22 June 2013 03:28 PM

That was a fun little game. I never played it myself back in the day but now I’m interested in getting it to play it myself even if I’ve watched most of the stream. Good work on the streaming, Permafry_42. =)

Thanks for the compliment!

Also if you are going to play the game, you should know that there is 7 possible ways the items in the game could change position. This makes it have a lot of replay value. There’s also 3 other pajama sam adventure games. The first 3 games in the series work with scummvm, while the 4th one, with a different voice actor and being made by Atari, won’t work with scummvm. There is also plenty of other humongous games, which are all listed and described here: http://humongous.wikia.com/wiki/Humongous_Entertainment_Wiki

Posted: 22 June 2013 06:17 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-03-13

Chat log (thanks to takarayama!) and stream archive are up.

Thanks to Permafry for streaming and sorry I missed the beginning!

This seems like such a great game. So much interactivity and reward for exploring each room. I really liked how nice and polite Sam was as well. One thing I didn’t put any thought into when making the thread was whether or not Sam is a boy or a girl - it didn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere in the game from what I saw, and if it’s intentionally ambiguous, that’s great.

Next week, we’ll be starting on the first Broken Sword game, which is in the current Humble Bundle!

Signature 

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!