Jobs Podcast iTunes Podcast RSS Tumblr @TimOfLegend @DoubleFine Google+ YouTube Facebook RSS

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!
1 of 2
DF Game Club: Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars (Director’s Cut)
Posted: 22 June 2013 05:52 PM
  [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Broken Age Backer MASSIVE CHALICE Backer
Total Posts:  1203
Joined  2012-03-13

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars  (starting 29th of June)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don’t like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don’t have the game or don’t feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It’s Dark Outside
  Next Game: Sam & Max: The Mob, the Mole, and the Meatball

Rnlrdl6.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS
  - 29th June, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1 a, Stream 1 b)and general discussion (log)
  - 6th July, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2 a, Stream 2 b, Stream 2 c ) and general discussion (log)
  - 13th July, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 3rd game session (Stream 3 a, Steam 3 b, Stream 3 c) and general discussion (log)

ABOUT THE GAME
  French journalist Nicole Collard and American tourist George Stobbart cross paths following a bomb attack in Paris and become embroiled in a terrifying conspiracy rooted in ancient legend.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE
  - Humble Bundle (No longer available)
  - Steam (Windows, Mac OS)
  - iTunes Store (iPad, iPhone)
  - Google Play (Android)

GAME CLUB INFO
  - Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)
  - Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you’re not sure)
  - @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)
  - Game Club planning thread

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 22 June 2013 05:56 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

For anybody who hasn’t spotted it, this game is in the current Humble Bundle as a “beat the average” title for Windows, Mac OS, Linux and Android! Pay what you want, get it (and other games) DRM free, and allocate as much or as little of your contribution to charity as you like :D

Signature 

Come play and discuss games with the Double Fine Game Club (threads can be found in our F.A.Q.)

As a community moderator, I do not speak on behalf of Double Fine and my opinions are my own. All hail the Info Cow

Posted: 23 June 2013 12:52 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-05-24

I played this just a few weeks ago, so hopefully I’ll be able to join in for the first time (I only just got around to registering for these forums).

Incidentally, I have an unused Steam Key for this game (I already have it on GOG), so I can give it to someone if they want to join in but money is tight.

Posted: 29 June 2013 02:02 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Thanks, Eiphel! I hope your steam key finds a new home where it’s appreciated :D

We’re about to go live. Don’t forget to join us!

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2013 04:14 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

The stream archive (broken into Stream 1 a and Stream 1 b) as well as the chat log are up in the first post.

Dan, I double checked that the links are right <3

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2013 08:08 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-05-24

Unfortunately the first one I was ready for in advance I missed due to being out of the house : (

Posted: 30 June 2013 04:51 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-03-23

It was a nice session. I still prefer the original version over the Director’s cut (and no, I’ll never stop nagging about it), but it’s still a great game. Can’t wait for the next part!

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:52 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-05-14

I remember being blown away by the detail on this game as a child, my aunt was me and my brother’s gateway into adventure games, she lent us the Lucas floppy box.

We spent months on puzzles in Monkey, Indiana Jones and Zak whilst being equally mystified by the difficulty of Loom(these are arguing children, trying to solve puzzles)and the fear of Maniac Mansion (don’t lock us up!) I’ve never completed the other games except Monkey Island 1.

Broken Sword was amazing, it had animation and voice acting and everything looked like it was a real place. I’ve never completed the sequel, but I remember it being one of the best sequels to adventure games but it seemed all the sequels perfected the original Discworld 2/Monkey 2/DOTT.

Can’t wait for the sequel to Broken Age.

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:28 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Forum Commander
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-10-13

Think I’ve played one of the games in this series. Too bad I missed this. I won’t be able to join you this week either as I’m gonna be out to sea.

Signature 

Carefully selected downloadable DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://www.fireflowergames.com/
Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:50 AM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Action Newbie
Joined  2013-05-24

I’ve backed the Broken Sword 5 kickstarter and own all the BS games due to my general love of point-and-click adventure games, but I have to say after playing the first two games, Broken Sword feels much rougher to me than any of the other classics of that era. A couple of the main things that always stand out are:

Sluggishness: I feel like the walk animations are really slow, and a lot of walking back and forth across the screen is involved. Playing BS1 and 2 I felt a lot more impatience waiting for responses than I have playing pretty much anything else in the genre.

Incoherent puzzles: I had to use the hint feature and occaisionally walkthroughs a few times because the solutions in BS are often really esoteric. Big offenders are requiring you to combine two items to achieve a functionality that feels like a huge stretch for what they could actually achieve; requiring you to do something for a ‘surprise’ outcome with no real reason to expect that to work; giving you a seemingly obvious goal to work towards, but actually requiring you to try and accomplish something else first, so what you’re trying to do isn’t what you think it is; and having obvious ways to achieve what you need to achieve, but which aren’t permitted simply because they’re not the ‘right’ solution. Sometimes the game even lampshades some of these issues in dialogue, which just adds insult to injury.

Unfocussed tone: This is very subjective, but I felt like the tone of the games wanders back and forth, so at times I’d be really engaged, and at other times I really wouldn’t care at all. I felt it was most successful when the game was echoing the historical mysteries that had inspired Charles Cecil, and fell most flat when it was playing up the humour, which never really worked for me. Related to this, I don’t feel like George and Nico are as strongly defined a pair of leads as they should be. To veer slightly off the immediate topic of this thread, I think the second game’s plot and characters are considerably weaker than the first.

Still, they aren’t terrible games. They’re notably uneven, with some sections that play out nice and fluidly between more frustrating installments. They have a lot of what gave this genre its charm, but then, they have almost all the common flaws as well. I haven’t played the third and fourth games yet, so I’m curious to see what happened to them when they made the jump to 3D.

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:38 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Jr. Action Poster
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-23

I’ve been playing the Director’s Cut. It offers some great new story elements with a playable Nico, some nice new puzzles and some improved graphics but it feels overall rather unpolished. The whole thing is absolutely riddled with unforgivable glitches, such as broken walk-behinds and NPCs disappearing and reappearing.  I was playing with my niece and it became more a game of ‘spot the bug’.  I don’t remember the original version being this buggy.

Posted: 06 July 2013 01:58 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Some good thoughts on the game there! :D

We’re about to go live with out second session. Also, it appears that the archives of our first session have disappeared - I’ll be contacting Twitch support to see what’s up.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2013 04:35 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Alrighty, chat log and stream archive (Stream 2 a, Stream 2 b, Stream 2 c ) is up!

Apologies again for the audio sync issues!

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2013 01:57 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1439
Joined  2012-03-12

We’ll be starting the final session in a few minutes. Come join us!

Signature 

I am a volunteer community moderator and not an employee of Double Fine. My opinions are my own.
The Double Fine Game Club! Current game: TBA
Unofficial DFA backer-exclusive Steam group! PM me or solidd for an invite.

Posted: 13 July 2013 05:12 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2012-03-13

Thanks to everybody who joined us!

Stream archives (Stream 3 a, Steam 3 b, Stream 3c ) and chat log are up in the first post!

Starting next week we’ll be playing through episode 3 of Telltale Games’ first season of Sam & Max games: The Mob, the Mole and the Meatball!

I hadn’t played Broken Sword prior to this, and I think all round it’s not a bad game. That said, I find the Nico parts to be the most compelling aspects and I imagine that I probably wouldn’t have been that engaged by the game in its original form.

Others mentioned during the session today that they found the bad accents endearing. I found them a bit grating, but perhaps if I’d played it at a point when talkie games were novel, I might have been more forgiving.

The variety of puzzley type activities was pretty nice and the game’s pacing was pretty good. Most of the adventure type puzzles weren’t too contrived, which was nice, and some of the characters had a bit of depth to them.

It was amusing to note that the larger, flirty lady in the hotel lobby behaved and sounded identical to the similar character in Beneath A Steel Sky - it’d be interesting to know if there’s some backstory at Revolution about why that character exists.

Here are my thoughts in rating form (template thingy can be found here):

Story: 6 (Atmosphere was more compelling than the story itself, pacing was good. New Nico stuff seemed more polished, but had closure very early on in the game)
  Usability: 6 (Verb icons were nice and readable, as were characters and interactive points. Stretched res option is a plus)
  Gameplay: 7 (Good variety of mechanics, long waits for walking were slightly irritating)
  Assets: 6 (Graphics were great, and animation was top notch, but voice acting was pretty awful)
  Impact: 6 (Ending was pretty abrupt, air of mystique and intrigue was good, not sure if I’d say it was as enjoyable as BaSS though)

Overall: 31
  Completed: Yes

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2013 05:37 PM
  [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Action Newbie
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-08-04

Mim’s Review of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars:
If you’d like to do a review using this format, you can find a guide/template here

Story: 7/10 - Sometimes confusing about where to go or what to do next because the story jumps around somewhat. Characters are good though and have interesting backgrounds if you have time/patience to click through all the dialogue options.

Usability: 7/10 - Pretty easy to pick up, guides pop up to tell you how to do stuff

Gameplay: 6/10 - There are some pretty convoluted solutions in there, but also some clever puzzles.

Assets: 4/10 - The sound is quite disjointed; quality varies from sentence to sentence. Art style is also inconsistent; cut scene animations are a very different style to the gameplay. The new cut scenes added for the Director’s Cut have yet another different style.

Impact: 7/10 - There were so many options I didn’t have time to click through for the stream. I could totally play through this game again, being really thorough, and get a whole lot more out of it.

Overall: 31/50
  Completed: Yep, a few times.

To participate in the excellent Double Fine Action Forums community, log in or register now!

1 of 2